.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

IRH1997

FNG
Not legal for big game in Oregon. Surprised that it is legal for Elk in Idaho.

Obviously Elk aren't armor-plated. And if you think like a bowhunter the 223 will put one down. But you don't have much leeway with a 223. You can end up with a hit to tag ratio greater than 1.

I am a little worried about this statement - "The terminal performance is on par with anything I’ve seen in a .284 or .30. Unreal performance. The bullet is a BEAST!"

No, it is not "on par" with 30cal fodder - not even a 30-30. It is a very marginal cartridge/bullet that CAN work if the shooter stays within its limitations. Sorry to burst your bubble, but better now than this fall when you post a sob-story about how you made a good hit and never found the elk.
Second this, “on par” is far fetched

Sadler

WKR
My man!! How are you liking it? Seems like a bad ass setup to me
I’m a fan. Fire forming sucks but it’s a cool little cartridge. Extremely low recoil, cheap to reload, components are everywhere, and it’ll kill well past my abilities. It’ll be going on an elk and mule deer hunt with me this year. I had it close to 2900
Just to test the limits but Norma brass doesn’t hold up well to that so I toned it down.

The UM bottom metal and mags are and answer to long action cartridges and seem like a downgrade from the factory mags for short action hunting config.

High desert bottom metal and waters mags for 223 or factory plastic for standard short action cartridges FTW. The waters AICS pattern mags look very nice as well.

Reactions: NSI

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
The UM bottom metal and mags are and answer to long action cartridges and seem like a downgrade from the factory mags for short action hunting config.

High desert bottom metal and waters mags for 223 or factory plastic for standard short action cartridges FTW. The waters AICS pattern mags look very nice as well.

The hells canyon mag in factory pattern bottm metal work very well for loaded longer 300 wsm and 6.5 prc stuff. The hells canyon feed like butter.

I am going to have to pick up some waters mags everyone seems to like them.

fwafwow

WKR
High Desert has been on my mind, especially in orange to match my future Rokstok. Then I looked at the Waters mags the other day. Maybe it was a long day, or it was another post-TBI moment, but I needed to spend more time figuring out which one I actually don’t need.

But I can probably just still with the plastic I have and shoot more.

Gstew1930

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I’m a fan. Fire forming sucks but it’s a cool little cartridge. Extremely low recoil, cheap to reload, components are everywhere, and it’ll kill well past my abilities. It’ll be going on an elk and mule deer hunt with me this year. I had it close to 2900
Just to test the limits but Norma brass doesn’t hold up well to that so I toned it down.
Yeah that sounds awesome. I’m going to have to do that for sure. Fireforming doesn’t bother me. I’ll just practice & kill coyotes with those loads

WIDrake

FNG
Hello fellow degenerate, I shoot the 88s in my 223AI and it’s a 1/7 twist. They stabilize fine and I’m getting around 2750 out of an 18” barrel.
This makes me think that with them loaded long in an mdt poly mag and a 6.5 or 7 kreig at 26" I might be able to get 2750 with a standard.... My god the temptation...

Taudisio

WKR
IMG_3826.jpegWe just got done cutting up the meat from this gal. My first bear with a 5.56, I switched to an “unconventional” method to hunt bears and chose one of my gassers for the job. The amount of bear hunters I’ve run into has been enough to make me change things up. Black hills 77gr tmk’s did the work at the longer than expected shot distance, 40 yards.

Matt5266

WKR
Not to de-rail the thread but I've tried searching on here for some good load data info on the 77 tmk and cant find any. This is the first time I'll be hand loading them in my newish Tikka. If someone could possibly message me a link or send me what has worked for you I'd appreciate it. Mine is chopped at 18 inches. About what distance is that dropping off to 1800 fps? PM is fine. As I said I dont want to derail this thread but I don't want to start a new post either just because my search game is weak. Thanks

sveltri

WKR
Not to de-rail the thread but I've tried searching on here for some good load data info on the 77 tmk and cant find any. This is the first time I'll be hand loading them in my newish Tikka. If someone could possibly message me a link or send me what has worked for you I'd appreciate it. Mine is chopped at 18 inches. About what distance is that dropping off to 1800 fps? PM is fine. As I said I dont want to derail this thread but I don't want to start a new post either just because my search game is weak. Thanks
What powders do you have to choose from?

Matt5266

WKR
What powders do you have to choose from?
For rifle loads H335, varget, imr 4350, h4350 and blc2. Im not opposed to buying a new powder. I've heard tac and xbr but the xbr is impossible to find in my area and when you do it's about $65 a pound.

sveltri

WKR

jonandy

FNG
9e7eb2a605169fa5db48d958297a1740.jpg

In addition to my pile of 77 TMK slingers I picked up a 6 ARC too. 108 ELDMs show expansion velocities out to 550 as well. 20” upper. Excited to tinker with it too. The kiddos have taken about all of my 5.56 uppers haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just curious, what bullet weight are you putting in the calculator? Yours is showing way more energy than I’m getting?