.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Hopefully there will be a bunch hitting shelves. I grabbed some but not as many as I would like. I thought I had eight boxes of 500 on the shelf and was thinking I was set for the next two years. then last week I grabbed the top box and realized I had 500 tmk’s and 3500 77gr bthp’s. Closest I’ve come to crying since my son was born! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gstew1930

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Since i'm a degenerate & cant leave good enough alone lol. Has anyone tried a 1-7 .223 shooting the 88 ELD's? Thats what i use in my creed, it would be nice to only buy 1 bullet for both rifles. thinking maybe a 223 AI

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Tikka T3x and sending it off for a chop and thread at 18", the UM Tikka rings are ordered along with the trigger spring, the SWFA 3-15x42 is also ordered and shipped (wanted the 3-9 but they do not have an ETA), I also ordered the RokStok with a 6 month wait....

Here is where I am looking for guidance: bottom metal and mags!
I see that UM has bottom metal that only accepts UM mags. The mags ar 120 or 130 each! And the bottom metal is nearly 200. Seems a bit steep for limited options. My thought is that I could lose a mag during or on my way to a hunt. If I have a "generic" bottom metal, I could swing into a store and save the day with a generic mag!

What bottom metal/mag combo are you using with high reliability. I am not a reloader yet but might become one in the next few years... maybe. No immediate need to hold longer than average bullets as I will be shooting factory. What is your dependable go to? And where should I look for them?

(I do not have experience with the Tikka mags that I hear rattle and are less than 99% reliable. And I prefer to not have a plastic bottom "metal" but again, no personal experience. Am I worried about nothing or is there something to it?)

I have the Tikka T3x and sending it off for a chop and thread at 18", the UM Tikka rings are ordered along with the trigger spring, the SWFA 3-15x42 is also ordered and shipped (wanted the 3-9 but they do not have an ETA), I also ordered the RokStok with a 6 month wait....

I see that UM has bottom metal that only accepts UM mags. The mags ar 120 or 130 each! And the bottom metal is nearly 200. Seems a bit steep for limited options. My thought is that I could lose a mag during or on my way to a hunt. If I have a "generic" bottom metal, I could swing into a store and save the day with a generic mag!

What bottom metal/mag combo are you using with high reliability. I am not a reloader yet but might become one in the next few years... maybe. No immediate need to hold longer than average bullets as I will be shooting factory. What is your dependable go to? And where should I look for them?

(I do not have experience with the Tikka mags that I hear rattle and are less than 99% reliable. And I prefer to not have a plastic bottom "metal" but again, no personal experience. Am I worried about nothing or is there something to it?)
Continue to do research, if you want to save a few bucks, there are some more options but not any that I’ve seen around like 100$. Most bottom metal is around 150-200 but mags vary depending on brand and cartridge size from my looking around.

J.Hunt

FNG
I’ve always been intrigued by lightweight bows and “underpowered” guns. Not sure why. They always seem to do the job though!

Axlrod

WKR
I can’t believe the UM bottom metal and mags cost that much.
I was on the fence, then they had a 20% off pre-order, so i ordered 2 mags + bottom metal.

I used to shoot trap with a gentleman that used to always say "It only costs a little more to go first class!" He did own a diamond store though. :ROFLMAO:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

The UM mags and bottom metal are not for 223’s.

Use factory bottom “metal” and factory mags. The Waters Rifleman mags seem to be fantastic, and is what we are going to instead of factory 6 round mags.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Factory bottom metal, or the factory clone aluminum piece from High Desert Rifle works are very reliable. For magazines, factory Tikka plastic work great! No issues.

Sadler

WKR
Since i'm a degenerate & cant leave good enough alone lol. Has anyone tried a 1-7 .223 shooting the 88 ELD's? Thats what i use in my creed, it would be nice to only buy 1 bullet for both rifles. thinking maybe a 223 AI
Hello fellow degenerate, I shoot the 88s in my 223AI and it’s a 1/7 twist. They stabilize fine and I’m getting around 2750 out of an 18” barrel.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Everything feels like Biden bucks monopoly money right now.

We recently had to increase our list prices across the board by 12% due to rising landed costs of goods. In order to maintain margins to keep lights on, the end user is who ends up paying for it unfortunately.

Helislacker

Lil-Rokslider
The UM mags and bottom metal are not for 223’s.

Use factory bottom “metal” and factory mags. The Waters Rifleman mags seem to be fantastic, and is what we are going to instead of factory 6 round mags.
For the CTR guys that read this…..while it’s probably much better to go with the standard T3x lite bottom metal for .223 …..I’ve used the CTR/AICS mod per @Shooter71 for my CTR DBM on my .223 and it works great with the metal MDT .223 AICS mags. It can still shoot the CTR mags but the metal AICS don’t move around nearly as much and feed reliably. Polymer MDT AICS are a no go because the lip eroded with time and eventually the mag stops feeding after 3-5 shots and needs to be reseated.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

I was a little shocked myself.
Plus when I figured ot they were "out of stock" during the 20% off sale it felt like a preorder and I dont have it in me for another preorder.
High desert and tikka mags FTW for me.

I did try the mountian tactical mags they were horrible.

Gstew1930

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Hello fellow degenerate, I shoot the 88s in my 223AI and it’s a 1/7 twist. They stabilize fine and I’m getting around 2750 out of an 18” barrel.
My man!! How are you liking it? Seems like a bad ass setup to me

atmat

WKR
I was a little shocked myself.
Plus when I figured ot they were "out of stock" during the 20% off sale it felt like a preorder and I dont have it in me for another preorder.
High desert and tikka mags FTW for me.

I did try the mountian tactical mags they were horrible.
I’m pretty sure they were a preorder of sorts. Website says not shipping till later in August.

$350 worth of bottom metal and mags for a $500 rifle lol