.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

3one5

FNG
Hard to reload and beat the price on some of the AAC offerings. Biggest gain on the reloading side is developing a load to your specific rifle and then consistency.

gwak06

FNG
I have 500 77gr tmks on the way and a spare 223 upper that I've never used. An older bush master carbon 15 upper, so we will see how it does with them. If it doesn't give me sub moa bench accuracy I'll be turning it into a 22 arc and using them with that. Just another project for this winter
Where did you find them?

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
A even better choice for big game is a 150 grain hunting bullet, IMO, particularly larger quarry. BTW, thanks for the “all due respect”.
So here is the thing when it comes to that particular statement.... I've killed a fair number of moose and elk with 264WM/7wsm/280AI/300WM/300Ultra, etc, with controlled expansion bullets, mono's, cup and cores, etc, and typically saw bullet wound channels of 1-2" in diameter, for 30-60" (depending on mono or not) with broken bones in between. With an 88 ELD m spun 1:7", I am seeing 2" diameter wound channels for 30+ inches and broken bones....

Can't see how I would be giving up anything at all in terms of terminal performance, regardless of animal size by making a "better choice" and going back to a 150 gr bullet of any diameter.

As much as I don't want to say it, there is a lot of truth in the statement "there is a difference between having 30 years of experience, and 1 year of experience 30 times over..."

WIDrake

FNG
Dude, thats like asking someone what unit they kill big bulls in!

But yeah, where DID you find them?
Like I said to gwak, it certs for free bullets off prs prize tables lol. I know they expect you to use them for prs but also.... That's a few years of hunting bullets when it only takes 100 of them a year! 99 for sighting and practice with them and one for deer.

mustelid_master

Lil-Rokslider
Is anyone out there aware of pending minimum caliber legislation in any states? I would like to do a 223, but if more legal doors are closing, then it is tough.

Went and got my daughters RSS zeroed today. Besides the brutal heat at 9am and 90% humidity, that little gun is just plain fun!

Ran out of time to test some handloads but the factory stuff I was shooting was easily MOA without a solid rest. I might have to pick up a second one so I don’t have to pretend I’m shooting my daughters for her….

atmat

WKR
Is anyone out there aware of pending minimum caliber legislation in any states? I would like to do a 223, but if more legal doors are closing, then it is tough.
Honestly, get a 223 anyway.

I live in a state with 6mm restrictions. I still own a 223. They’re so cheap to practice with compared to most rounds, that it’s actually cheaper to buy one as a second rifle if you’re getting volume shooting in.

xsn10s

WKR

I live in a state with 6mm restrictions. I still own a 223. They’re so cheap to practice with compared to most rounds, that it’s actually cheaper to buy one as a second rifle if you’re getting volume shooting in.
I'll have four soon. Well three 5.56 AR's and a .223 bolt rifle here in a week or so. So far I dropped two badgers and one yote with the 75gr ELDM. It hits pretty hard.

Thegman

WKR
I'll have four soon. Well three 5.56 AR's and a .223 bolt rifle here in a week or so. So far I dropped two badgers and one yote with the 75gr ELDM. It hits pretty hard.
What barrel twist and loads are you using for your 75ELDM AR loads, and what kind of accuracy are you getting?

I've not been able to get them to shoot well enough in mine. 77TMK was fairly easy to load for.

xsn10s

WKR
What barrel twist and loads are you using for your 75ELDM AR loads, and what kind of accuracy are you getting?

I've not been able to get them to shoot well enough in mine. 77TMK was fairly easy to load for.
I have an old Colt 1-7" 20" barrel on my build. I modified a stainless 20 round mag so I can seat out to 2.365" if I remember correctly. About 3/4 moa with Winchester whitebox primers and TAC.

xsn10s

WKR

Honestly though if you're getting good accuracy with the 77TMK I'd just shoot that. If my new bolt rifle shoots the 75gr or 80gr ELDM's I'll allocate most those bullets for it. The 73gr ELDM's I have can be loaded to standard mag length and shoot well from my AR's.

Grundy53

WKR

Great advice. I'm in the same boat. I get more/better practice with my .223 than all my hunting rifles combined. Plus you can still take it to free states.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk