.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

AAC TMK 0.85 each, can’t really load them much cheaper. I think at .30 each bullet I’m around .70 per load not including brass.
If you dont mind me askin, how does the AAC TMK shoot compared to the Black Hills, Stand1, or UM stuff? Velocity? Accuracy? I believe I was about 2770fps with stand1 and 2680fps with blackhills (5.56) in a 16 inch barrel... both submoa in a faxon match pencil barrel. Just curious how the AAC stacks up.

WKR
If you dont mind me askin, how does the AAC TMK shoot compared to the Black Hills, Stand1, or UM stuff? Velocity? Accuracy? I believe I was about 2770fps with stand1 and 2680fps with blackhills (5.56) in a 16 inch barrel... both submoa in a faxon match pencil barrel. Just curious how the AAC stacks up.
I can only compare to federal and stand1, but for my 16" tikka, it's close enough to not be sure there's a substantial difference. I'm around 1 moa for 10 with all 3, but I don't have a ton of data to back that up. Anecdotally, I'd say my best groups are more likely federal, then aac, then stand1, but I have shot stand1 fewest of the 3.

I have not chronoed any of them.

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU

I haven’t shot any factory loads. Keep looking at the AAC stuff resisting the urge to buy a bunch.

I haven’t shot any factory loads. Keep looking at the AAC stuff resisting the urge to buy a bunch.
I just read a short review of the AAC tmk ammo, said 2600fps out of a 16 inch barrel. So, for my purposes a lot slower than the stand1 stuff... which for hunting I feel that extra 170fps gives a bit of an edge if the accuracy is still there... But for "precision" practice ammo, .85 cents a round is hard to beat. My rifle shoots the cheap x-tac 556 well, so I can plink for less than .50 cents a round. I've dabbled with reloading, trying to find loads that I can get the same or better velocity/accuracy as I do with stand1... but have come up short so far. I probably wouldn't waste my time reloading if the stand1 tmk wasnt so expensive... I've just been curious where most folks draw the line cost-wise between reloading (for performance) and just buying premium ammo that is accurate enough and fast enough already. Your previous post about your pre-brass component cost at .70 cents a round was helpful. Even the brass cost notwithstanding, I could see my time being worth at least .20-40 cents a round on top of components if I didn't have to reload to get the performance I was looking for.

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
I have a few rounds down my 18” AR with the AAC 77 TMKs. Didn’t catch velocity but 1 MOA was my best 3 shot. Most have been 1.5 MOA at 100 yards. I’ll stretch it out soon. Seems like a viable option for my needs when I don’t feel like reloading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atmat

WKR
I have a few rounds down my 18” AR with the AAC 77 TMKs. Didn’t catch velocity but 1 MOA was my best 3 shot. Most have been 1.5 MOA at 100 yards. I’ll stretch it out soon. Seems like a viable option for my needs when I don’t feel like reloading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Averaging 1.5 MOA 3-shot groups isn’t the accuracy I’d be looking for. What’s it shoot in a 10-shot group?

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
I’m ready! I drew a spring tag, and my plan is to utilize the youth mentor program (one thing Oregon got right) and get my daughter on a good bear, and send a tmk into him

I wish 223 was a legal elk cartridge here so she could just use it for everything.

When the shorter LOP rokstok becomes available, I’m going probably just get her an 8 twist 243 and suppress it

There is no longer a draw weight minimum for archery elk, but can’t use a 223🤔

I have made it through 333 pages so far. I am sure I read it but it takes a bit to get through all of this.

What is the Rokstok? I thought it was referring to opening the barrel chamber on the stock and self bedding it...

But I have seen multiple posts in previous pages of people waiting for them "to come in".

What is it? Where do I get it? And how short of a LOP can you get them in?

I have made it through 333 pages so far. I am sure I read it but it takes a bit to get through all of this.

What is the Rokstok? I thought it was referring to opening the barrel chamber on the stock and self bedding it...

But I have seen multiple posts in previous pages of people waiting for them "to come in".

Search rokstok, you’re going to have another 300 pages to read😏

It’s a stock designed by people who know what works and why it works, it’s made to be as functional as possible for field shooting, and stockys is building them, unknown munitions is the company selling them

atmat

WKR

Axlrod

WKR
Here is the short version of the story:

The Rokstok is an improved Stockys Carbon VG. Stockys worked with some folks here on rokslide to make some shooter-friendly modifications to their already very capable and budget friendly stock. Before the rokstok was available (and maybe still now) there are some here on rokslide who have made similar modifications to a regular Stockys Carbon VG with success. Here is a link to a post in a thread that has a lot on the topic.

If you want to upgrade the factory tikka stock, a stockys carbon vg is a great option. With stockys rokslide discount code, i was able to get mine for under $400. Ill add that if you dont want to wait, talk to stockys directly and see if they have any in bare carbon in stock... i think i got mine in less than a week after order.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
The Rokstok is an improved Stockys Carbon VG. Stockys worked with some folks here on rokslide to make some shooter-friendly modifications to their already very capable and budget friendly stock.

To clarify- the RokStok is not a modification of the Stockys VG, and Stockys did not “work with” anyone in designing it. Three people designed the RokStok from the ground up, and the only thing the VG and RokStok share are who makes it and the shell material.

The VG is a decently designed stock that is well made, but it is in no way what a RokStok is.

To clarify- the RokStok is not a modification of the Stockys VG, and Stockys did not “work with” anyone in designing it. Three people designed the RokStok from the ground up, and the only thing the VG and RokStok share are who makes it and the shell material.

The VG is a decently designed stock that is well made, but it is in no way what a RokStok is.
My appologies for the mischaracterization. It was just my impression from the discussions in the 'Stockys VG Tikka' thread early last September that you offered Stockys some suggestions for improving their VG Carbon, and they acknowledged their willingness in that thread to work with you and the rokslide community to make a better stock. It was just a couple weeks later we were seeing the rokstock poll and other threads as the idea progressed. I did not intend to diminish the hard work your group put forth to see the rokstock come to fruition.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
My appologies for the mischaracterization. It was just my impression from the discussions in the 'Stockys VG Tikka' thread early last September that you offered Stockys some suggestions for improving their VG Carbon, and they acknowledged their willingness in that thread to work with you and the rokslide community to make a better stock. It was just a couple weeks later we were seeing the rokstock poll and other threads as the idea progressed. I did not intend to diminish the hard work your group put forth to see the rokstock come to fruition.

No apology needed- I just wanted to clarify. I can see how it would look that way, however we have been trying to get that stock made for a while and had discussed with several companies. Stockys was the best choice.