.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

ElPollo

WKR
I'm not one to discount any theory, claim, or the like without some research and experience. I was just surprised at the vastness of this discussion.
It’s a polarizing topic because many have strongly held opinions that are not always based on data.

Beauseph

FNG
It’s a polarizing topic because many have strongly held opinions that are not always based on data.
It's funny because I've often thought about using .223 for whitetail deer.

I've heard it has good result with good shot placement (that is the key to any ethical kill with any cartridge).

I don't have a desire or purpose to use a .223 since I have other calibers in hunting setups ready to go.

I get a little skeptical with larger game like elk, moose, bear, but it seems that, again, with proper shot placement, a cartridge with good ability to penetrate can take almost any size game.

I think the biggest question is not whether you can, but whether you should - ethically.

ElPollo

WKR
It's funny because I've often thought about using .223 for whitetail deer.

I've heard it has good result with good shot placement (that is the key to any ethical kill with any cartridge).

I don't have a desire or purpose to use a .223 since I have other calibers in hunting setups ready to go.

I get a little skeptical with larger game like elk, moose, bear, but it seems that, again, with proper shot placement, a cartridge with good ability to penetrate can take almost any size game.

I think the biggest question is not whether you can, but whether you should - ethically.
The primary point of this thread is that bullet construction matters more than headstamps. It was stated in the first post. Bullet construction, as long as a shot is within the terminal velocity range of the bullet, determines wound channel volume and depth. What you’ll find if you take the time to go through this thread is that the right bullet in a 223 will result in more than enough damage and penetration to ethically harvest any game in North America and it will do it in a package that has less recoil and is easier to shoot accurately.

Beauseph

FNG
The primary point of this thread is that bullet construction matters more than headstamps. It was stated in the first post. Bullet construction, as long as a shot is within the terminal velocity range of the bullet, determines wound channel volume and depth. What you’ll find if you take the time to go through this thread is that the right bullet in a 223 will result in more than enough damage and penetration to ethically harvest any game in North America and it will do it in a package that has less recoil and is easier to shoot accurately.
I understand the point of the thread. I read the shortened version and some of the posts but honestly I'll probably never read the nearly 400 pages in it's entirety because I don't care that much about it. It's interesting, but I'm not going to sell all of my rifles for all .223 caliber just because of a Rokslide thread proving it.

I have other calibers that work just fine, if not better. Not going to fix something that isn't broken, isn't proven through MY experience.

BigNate

WKR
I have other calibers that work just fine, if not better. Not going to fix something that isn't broken, isn't proven through MY experience.
Other calibers work better? In your experience.
After stating you've "been thinking about using a .223" , you've decided based on your experience, that other calibers work better.

Now you've added length to the thread, without contribution, and made the decision based on your experience, that all the contributors are wrong. Gotcha. Move along.

Beauseph

FNG
Other calibers work better? In your experience.
After stating you've "been thinking about using a .223" , you've decided based on your experience, that other calibers work better.

Now you've added length to the thread, without contribution, and made the decision based on your experience, that all the contributors are wrong. Gotcha. Move along.
Not exactly. I made several points in my posts that you failed to recognize, address all while twisting phrases I used to reflect matter-of-fact rather than conjecture/prediction.

I said other calibers are available to me in hunting platforms, whereas .223 is not currently. I acknowledge the viability/usefulness of .223, but that doesn't mean all other calibers are inherently worse off because of that.

Just because someone else has used (x) with great results doesn't automatically mean it will do the same for me or others. Every person has to utilize the cartridge they feel is best based on their needs, preferences, experiences, and their opinions.

Contributors to this are not "wrong". They have their own experiences and evidence to support their viewpoints. I appreciate their experience, evidence, and opinions but that doesn't mean I must use .223 to hunt. It does mean that if I ever get the chance, desire to utilize .223 that I won't shy away from it and I'll use this thread to provide me insight of where I can start for initially good results. Using my experiences and data, I can then continue to improve my results based upon what I need for a hunting cartridge in .223.

Ill stay a while and continue to read / comment as I feel appropriate. Hopefully you can do the same without the side of flame.

fwafwow

WKR
I understand the point of the thread. I read the shortened version and some of the posts but honestly I'll probably never read the nearly 400 pages in it's entirety because I don't care that much about it. It's interesting, but I'm not going to sell all of my rifles for all .223 caliber just because of a Rokslide thread proving it.
I think, imho, that the bold text is what generates the response. If you don’t care, don’t comment*. And I don’t believe anyone in this thread has ever supported selling any guns, much less all of them, to change to 223 or otherwise. I’m pretty sure everyone falls into the “buy more” camp.

*This thread is so popular that probably hundreds get a notification when someone posts to it, so empty posts (yes, this one falls into that category) tend to clutter it up.

Beauseph

FNG
I think, imho, that the bold text is what generates the response. If you don’t care, don’t comment*. And I don’t believe anyone in this thread has ever supported selling any guns, much less all of them, to change to 223 or otherwise. I’m pretty sure everyone falls into the “buy more” camp.

*This thread is so popular that probably hundreds get a notification when someone posts to it, so empty posts (yes, this one falls into that category) tend to clutter it up.
I appreciate and respect that explanation and response. I'll continue observing from now on unless I have more pertinent information to provide.

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
f07a9a0c968cbecb2e9ac11ba02cb6f3.jpg

223 on walrus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tahr

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a 53 vmax on groundhogs with my 22-250. Rarely do they exit 8-10 pound pigs under 250 yards with a muzzle velocity of 3650fps.
I’m not discrediting what youre saying but I would like to see pictures of carcasses and internals when hit with 45-55gr class varmint bullets in the ribs.
Does anyone here have on game experience with this?
There are examples in this thread. I posted a pic using a 52 ELDM about 3 pages back. VMax are very effective with lung shots. The 52 grn Sierra hollow point match is also a very good bullet on deer.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I guess a young nanny wasn't good enough to get the title changed to include mountain goat. I'll try to get a good billy this season, then maybe you guys will be proud of me... maybe my Dad will be too...
I got you…

Appreciate your contribution to the thread and believing in the process.

Looking forward to the recap and pics of this season’s adventures.