.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

ElPollo

WKR
Only data that is objectively considered is valid. Confirmation bias is selecting data to confirm your belief. Plenty of that going on. On both sides of the TMK fence.
Please tell us about this confirmation bias.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Only data that is objectively considered is valid. Confirmation bias is selecting data to confirm your belief. Plenty of that going on. On both sides of the TMK fence.
Can you present data from the TMK bad side? I've yet to see any data, but would really like to.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
so last fall due to this thread I loaded up some 77 gr tmk and gave them to a buddy to try, sounded like the perfect round for his kids who are getting into hunting, and are needing something light recoiling. We both have tikka 8 twist 223s. I tried varget, h 4895, and imr 8208 before settling on 8208 cause thats the only one i could bet 2800+ out of. I have since switched to tac with the same speeds and accuracy and its findable. I was never able to get better groups than a consistent 1 inch 5 shot group. Despite both our guns shooting much much better accuracy with a lot of other bullets, mostly 50-55 gr varmint bullets, never tried heavier. I have aftermarket mags which allow me to seat anywhere I please, everything was tried.

So all together they shot 6 deer with them and here is where it gets interesting. Low 2800s muzzle velocity.

All shot broadside behind shoulder at 90 yards and under. No big whitetail bucks, all does and spikes. 3 went down fast. 1 stumbled 50 yards and left a lot of blood. 2 ran 50 to 60 yards and left 0 blood . 0 of 6 bullets exited. Nothing really found under the hide or inside besides shrapnel. Big holes in first lung, a lot smaller hole in second. No bones hit besides ribs. bullets seemed very splashy, not alot of penetration at these closer ranges. Honestly a tough 55 gr sp from speer, sierra or hornady(they all make a tough sp 55gr 22 cal) does better penetration wise.
H4895 with 75 eldm gets me 2940-2950 from a 22" tikka. What was your charge weight?

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
Haha who added ‘chupacabra’ to the title? That’s awesome.

To hell with who added it to the title! I want to see the necropsy photos! I have no idea how I missed those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f07a9a0c968cbecb2e9ac11ba02cb6f3.jpg

223 on walrus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's an impressive blood trail!

What bullet? How many shots?

Also, what do you all do with a walrus?

Drenalin

WKR
I think the downsides expressed to this point have centered around exits (seems to be a coin flip whether it will or won't) and lack of blood trails. Neither have been an issue for me in a relatively small sample size. I'm also only considering the downsides with TMK and ELDM bullets; I personally don't give a rip about any others and haven't paid attention to what's been posted about them.