.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

jpretle

FNG
Well Gents, It appears I have ruffled some feathers. Not interested in a 'back and forth', here.
I can speak to my experiences and to those I have witnessed. Even on this thread there are those who are contrary to the 223. Interestingly, there are no pics of wound channels on those that got away.
Keep 'em Centered,

mmw194287

WKR
I'm also curious--not to derail the discussion--about the terminal performance of TMKs in larger calibers, in particular wondering about some of the 30 cal offerings out of a 308. Anyone had any experience with these? Form, have you tested any of the other TMKs for performance on/in tissue? Any variations from what you've seen out of the 77gr 223?

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
The .223 with a 77 TMK is deadly, period.

Dismiss any preconceived notions you may have and give it a try. The wound channel is effective and impressive and in many cases TOO much!

Spoonbill

WKR
The .223 with a 77 TMK is deadly, period.

Dismiss any preconceived notions you may have and give it a try. The wound channel is effective and impressive and in many cases TOO much!
Are you reloading or just shooting factory ammo?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
That doesn't sound very friendly. Wondering now, why I came back to this site. Hmmmm.
So you come on the thread and make a statement(Opinion). With no first-hand knowledge stated. But are mad when people ask you to back up said statement with some kind of actual data?

I am skeptical of a .223 on elk. But the posts in this thread has made it very clear that the 223 with the 77 TMK under 300 yards on deer, bear, and pig are deadly.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Black Hills 77 TMK factory ammo is what I’m shooting.

Unknown Munitions is also offering ammo with the 77TMK.

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
.223 is waaaay to light of chambering for game!!!!!!!!!!!
Not matter what bullet one uses.
Imagine ignoring facts/data and then posting about it. Imagine that.

Looking forward to heading afield myself this year with 77TMK and/or 75ELDM and far more trigger time behind said rifles, year to date, than any hunting season previously. Whitetails beware.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also curious--not to derail the discussion--about the terminal performance of TMKs in larger calibers, in particular wondering about some of the 30 cal offerings out of a 308. Anyone had any experience with these? Form, have you tested any of the other TMKs for performance on/in tissue? Any variations from what you've seen out of the 77gr 223?

<eye balls 7mm 160 TMK @~3000 fps>

jpretle

FNG
So you come on the thread and make a statement(Opinion). With no first-hand knowledge stated. But are mad when people ask you to back up said statement with some kind of actual data?

I am skeptical of a .223 on elk. But the posts in this thread has made it very clear that the 223 with the 77 TMK under 300 yards on deer, bear, and pig are deadly.
I would be interested in knowing how you came to the conclusion I was 'Mad'. A 'fire-ball' was thrown at an opinion I expressed. I was not and am not offended. My opinion is the result of personal experiences, which are 'first-hand knowledge'. Not having stated my personal experiences, you do not know them. I have no need to convince anyone of anything, and have no inclination to back up my opinion, to minds already made up. You can take my opinion for what it is worth, which is apparently nothing, to you. I value my experiences just as you value yours. If yours were good w/ the .223, OUTSTANDING!!!!. Mine were not, and I see no reason to tread old ground, when better 'medicine' is available. My opinion, of course.
I suspect Elmer Keith would be rolling over, having read this thread.
Keep 'em Centered, Gents.
Those are really the only ones that count.

Rob5589

WKR
I would be interested in knowing how you came to the conclusion I was 'Mad'. A 'fire-ball' was thrown at an opinion I expressed. I was not and am not offended. My opinion is the result of personal experiences, which are 'first-hand knowledge'. Not having stated my personal experiences, you do not know them. I have no need to convince anyone of anything, and have no inclination to back up my opinion, to minds already made up. You can take my opinion for what it is worth, which is apparently nothing, to you. I value my experiences just as you value yours. If yours were good w/ the .223, OUTSTANDING!!!!. Mine were not, and I see no reason to tread old ground, when better 'medicine' is available. My opinion, of course.
I suspect Elmer Keith would be rolling over, having read this thread.
Keep 'em Centered, Gents.
Those are really the only ones that count.
People are simply asking for you to provide samples of your negative experiences. Some contrast would be beneficial to those on the fence. There are plenty of positive examples already posted. Good ole Elmer died in 84. We've gotten some better projectiles since then.