.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

khuber84

WKR
Running 75eldm from an 18" 22cm. Loads sub moa at 400y. Running 3100fps. Shot two mulies this morning. First was medium body buck at 275(2600fps impact), in the crease, did a 50y death sprint and piled up, massive lung trauma, deer bleed out profusely from the mouth before I got to him, no blood as I cut neck, it was all in the boiler room and on ground. Nickel entrance through a rib, exit was quarter size throug a rib. Next was another medium body buck, 475y(2250fps impact), strong crosswind, but my nephew who's never killed a deer, put the bullet at the neck shoulder junction, pencil entrance, quarter exit. That deer was lights out. I was impressed. I have quite a lot of the 77s as well, and may try some. This load is no pressure, and is only 40gr H4350 I feel another 150fps is on the table. I only have 65 rounds down the pipe.

Last edited:

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at .223 suppressors for a 16” bolt gun I’m planning. What are good compact and light options I should be looking at? Most 556 cans are heavy with QD mount & rated for full auto. I have a Nomad Ti .30 cal but would like something direct thread that will just stay on the 223.

The griffin Optimus Micro is on my radar. It’s $500 and 8.5oz 5.3” long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m running the new SilencerCo Harvester Evo on my .223 and have been very happy with it, especially for the price. It’s fairly compact and light, also can set up for direct threads to all common barrel thread patterns. May be worth a look, especially if price/availability is a concern.

Attachments

• 6C029551-D6DD-4FE7-A08D-56D02111072C.jpeg
    6C029551-D6DD-4FE7-A08D-56D02111072C.jpeg
    427.5 KB · Views: 107

BLJ

WKR
There does seem to be a lot of 2nds showing up.
Hope they didn’t screw up a whole run of 77’s and now there at the bottom of the production list😳.

SouthPaw

WKR
They probably released the 2nds to retailers first in bulk packaging to get rid of them while the good bullets are being boxed up and begin fulfilling backorders. I'd imagine they start showing up soon. And then hopefully run the 130s, please.

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
Well, it took me a couple days, but I finally made it through this thread. What an absolute eye opener and punch to the mouth about what I have believed and been told over the last several years since I got into hunting.

I was firmly in the ".223/5.56 is way underpowered for big game" camp. Part of this comes from the fact that WA forbids anything less than .24 caliber for big game, part is just what gets repeated by everyone you encounter, in person or online. The results shown in this thread, however, proves without a doubt that your bullet matters much more than your headstamp and/or bore diameter.

While I'm not going to go out and replace my hunting rifle with a .223 as my well outfit Tikka T3x .30-06 still works just fine and I shoot it well, this thread has given me a different viewpoint on bullet effectiveness and some ideas that will should help me improve my .30-06.

I also need to get out and practice more. I bought a Howa Mini-action 6.5 Grendel last year to use as a practice rifle, not intending to use it for hunting. However, this really could be a great platform to hunt with, using the right load and right bullet. The 107gr TMK @ 2500-2600FPS seems like it could be possible based on a quick search, and quite effective on game.

Keep the data coming. This has truly been educational to someone like me who can appreciate being proven wrong on occasion.

tak

WKR
The Kali Key will make you AR bolt action basically, check it out.

For me it would NOT be worth the hassle to register a bolt action. You will have to give it up to be serialized then submit your paperwork.

Be without your bolt action for year, not sure what getting it engraved cost, plus shipping, plus the stamp. Put that money towards another AR 15 upper and be done with it.

No reason to be without your rifle for a year.
Form 1 E file took about 4 weeks. I was only out of the gun as long as it took the smith the cut and thread the barrel. It's not a 223 though, I agree with others, it's probably not worth it for a 223. I'm just saying that that the process is easy. Much faster than buying a suppressor.

@fwafwow

fa5f8a5de146d1e4869ecbf48b15fd0d.jpg

Shraggs

WKR
I did read the thread. My opinion is based my experience hunting western big game.
Hey thanks for the reply!

I can tell you from my standpoint, I was squarely where you are. I’ve been on rokslide awhile now and have developed some friends, western based guys. When I look at the level of man years of the identifiable advocates on this thread we’re talking a very lot of man-years of western hunting experience. Also have other friends here who took this plunge, and aren’t planning to use their magnums any time soon - me included. At least at the range limits noted here.

With utmost respect to your years of western hunting experience it’s much less than the combined years of the original advocates and many many others who embarked on this information and have made kills.

If you personally haven’t used a tmk in this caliber or witnessed a kill personally how can you summarily dismiss based on your years of western hunting minus this data point?

260madman

WKR
Hey thanks for the reply!

I can tell you from my standpoint, I was squarely where you are. I’ve been on rokslide awhile now and have developed some friends, western based guys. When I look at the level of man years of the identifiable advocates on this thread we’re talking a very lot of man-years of western hunting experience. Also have other friends here who took this plunge, and aren’t planning to use their magnums any time soon - me included. At least at the range limits noted here.

With utmost respect to your years of western hunting experience it’s much less than the combined years of the original advocates and many many others who embarked on this information and have made kills.

If you personally haven’t used a tmk in this caliber or witnessed a kill personally how can you summarily dismiss based on your years of western hunting minus this data point?
That’s a whole lot of western. Is Clint Eastwood and Robert Duvall going to make a movie based on this?

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a whole lot of western.

I thought the same thing.

Out East where I hunt it is preferable to have two holes for blood trailing through thick brush. Still, I’ll switch to 77 gr TMK’s to use in an AR if they are ever easily available.

idahodave

WKR
Not great photos, but you get the idea. 88 grain ELD-Ms from my 22-250. First photo shows the exit side. Shot was 270ish.

Dave

Attachments

• 455603A1-6E77-46F3-B1B1-3DC90C6FE7F0.jpeg
    455603A1-6E77-46F3-B1B1-3DC90C6FE7F0.jpeg
    685.3 KB · Views: 269
  • C8D79027-ACA2-48B1-BF09-20F8CAB73A08.jpeg
    C8D79027-ACA2-48B1-BF09-20F8CAB73A08.jpeg
    687.3 KB · Views: 271
  • AA9CFD7C-ECEA-493F-BF9A-4B8593493998.jpeg
    AA9CFD7C-ECEA-493F-BF9A-4B8593493998.jpeg
    783.2 KB · Views: 268

Margoot

FNG
223 is plenty for deer, you just have to use the right ammo and put the bullet in the right spot.

Do you know the twist rate of your rifle's barrel? I'm kind of surprised you are getting MOA accuracy with that heavy of a bullet if you have a slow twist that is common in a lot of 223 barrels.

kkp005

WKR
223 is plenty for deer, you just have to use the right ammo and put the bullet in the right spot.

Do you know the twist rate of your rifle's barrel? I'm kind of surprised you are getting MOA accuracy with that heavy of a bullet if you have a slow twist that is common in a lot of 223 barrels.
Most folks on here are shooting 1-8 for the 77tmk’s