.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Another extensive load work up. Tossed my Hornady brass. Sick of the inconsistency. Loaded some 60tmk in Fresh Lapua brass.
What sort of improvements do you see making this kind of switch? Noticeable changes in group size and fewer fliers, or just easier to work, or more total reloads on each piece? Less trimming due to less brass stretching (I trim before it gets hard to chamber rounds)? Wondering if this is something I'd see a benefit to trying at some point, or if it's going to be a wash for a lightweight hunting rifle. I currently use fired factory rounds or just range brass. I do enjoy shooting groups...

Lawnboi

WKR
What sort of improvements do you see making this kind of switch? Noticeable changes in group size and fewer fliers, or just easier to work, or more total reloads on each piece? Less trimming due to less brass stretching (I trim before it gets hard to chamber rounds)? Wondering if this is something I'd see a benefit to trying at some point, or if it's going to be a wash for a lightweight hunting rifle. I currently use fired factory rounds or just range brass. I do enjoy shooting groups...
I started with factory fired Hornady. First I’ll say removing primer crimps is a pain in the ass, I’ll never do that again.

Lapua brass is just way more consistent. With my mixed lot Hornady, when I set neck tension with a mandrel it was all over. My 5 times fired stuff even after being annealed was everything from no tension on a .222 mandrel to taking a decent effort on the press. Lapua didn’t do that. It all sizes the same, feels the same seating, and as of now seems to be holding up better. At 60 cents a pop for 223 brass it’s a no brained imo.

I had 500 pieces of Hornady brass all 4 or 5 times fired that I just junked because I’m sick of such variable neck tension. Mind you I’m loading like I would my match gun, amp annealer, fl sizing and setting neck tension with a mandrel, going through the giraud every firing and seating takes place on an arbor press. Hornady always left me with 1.5” groups for the most part, Lapua eliminated some of those oddball flyers I’d see with the Hornady.

I can’t speak to longevity as I’m only 5 loads into the Lapua Iv been using the latter half of the year, but that 5 times fired brass still has tight pockets, and is doing everything it was since I started with it. Noticed enough of a difference over 500 rounds that I just threw 500 pieces of Hornady brass in the recycling bin. With components what they are it’s not worth it to save a few cents.

From what Iv seen, it for sure makes a difference for me. On a bolt gun I expect to be precise with if I can make it more consistent I will. I learned a lot with that Hornady brass but I’m a believer in good brass.

Velocity swings came way down with Lapua as well thoug I don’t think that matters all that much for distances I shoot my 223

Last edited:

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
I have not experienced this. TO84s work just fine with the Bravo cheek peice at the lowest setting. But that could just be my personal fitment.
Same here. They're fine for my model cheek bones.

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
Velocity swings came way down with Lapua as well thoug I don’t think that matters all that much for distances I shoot my 223
I won't admit how much money and time I've wasted chasing consistent muzzle velocity in 223. I have to actively remind myself that within the ranges I shoot it, it doesn't really matter.

Lawnboi

WKR
I won't admit how much money and time I've wasted chasing consistent muzzle velocity in 223. I have to actively remind myself that within the ranges I shoot it, it doesn't really matter.
Agreed. To the point that I don’t even write down my SD or ES when I’m working up a 223 load. It just dosnt matter for 400 yards and in.

If I want to shoot longer I’ll pick something that I won’t be chasing in the wind.

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
@Lawnboi
The two lots of Lapua 223 brass I have appear to have significantly less case capacity than all the range pickup I have. Those lapua lots are probably 3-5 years old. Have you seen the same?

I have read through about 50 of the 108 pages of this thread and haven't yet seen it, so I'll ask this in hopes that it's not sitting on page 51. Is there a maximum impact velocity of the 77gr TMK that one needs to keep in mind? For some reason I've been eyeballing a Tikka 1:8 twist 22-250, but the velocities in that cartridge can be rather insane. In theory, a person can run those up over 3100 fps in that round, so I'm curious if a 3000fps impact on a deer would be less than ideal.

I have read through about 50 of the 108 pages of this thread and haven't yet seen it, so I'll ask this in hopes that it's not sitting on page 51. Is there a maximum impact velocity of the 77gr TMK that one needs to keep in mind? For some reason I've been eyeballing a Tikka 1:8 twist 22-250, but the velocities in that cartridge can be rather insane. In theory, a person can run those up over 3100 fps in that round, so I'm curious if a 3000fps impact on a deer would be less than ideal.
I use it in my 22/250 tikka at 3150 with excellent results

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

Not really. I mean yes, penetration will be reduced with 3,400fps MV and a 10 yard impact…. But functionally, no.

Not really. I mean yes, penetration will be reduced with 3,400fps MV and a 10 yard impact…. But functionally, no.
Thank you. I've seen 165gr ballistic tips work great under 2500 fps, but turn into an absolute non-penetrating grenade at 2800fps, and wanted to make sure that wasn't the case were I to go that route. I figured the 22-250 would give me a good range of options, from quite reduced training loads for new shooters, up to an absolutely smoking but comfortable deer rifle.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
TO84s work just fine with the KRG Bravo.

Lotta fellas seemingly overthinking things….

Voluntary simplicity. Don’t over complicate it.

FWIW I’d happily volunteer for a Rokslide sponsored 223 AK coastal brown bear hunt (with a +1 wingman/second tag .223 stunt shooter of choice).

Let’s film it.

Grizzly Skins of AK?

I’m in.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
TO84s work just fine with the KRG Bravo.

Lotta fellas seemingly overthinking things….

Voluntary simplicity. Don’t over complicate it.

FWIW I’d happily volunteer for a Rokslide sponsored 223 AK coastal brown bear hunt (with a +1 wingman/second tag .223 stunt shooter of choice).

Let’s film it.

Grizzly Skins of AK?

I’m in.

Most uneventful bear kill in history.