.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
That's my point. Hence the "messed up".
Good pics for example tho. It's an easy mistake for me to make.

Yes sir. Wasn’t meant to be at you, just for all, and I should have stated so. It is a very common mistake that people make, including me.

The yellow line is the rear edge of the rib cage to see just how far rearward the chest cavity is compared to normal ungulates. The blue oval is the approximate lung position-

IMG_8752.jpeg

barnguy

FNG
Much like every other caliber/cartridge
You MUST hit vitals to repeatedly kill
I totally agree. But there is some wiggle room with larger calibers.

Don't take my comment wrong, I'm not saying it's unethical or wrong, just something I wouldn't personally do. I would prefer the shock and damage that a larger caliber gives you.

svivian

WKR

Don't take my comment wrong, I'm not saying it's unethical or wrong, just something I wouldn't personally do. I would prefer the shock and damage that a larger caliber gives you.
Look at you go! you can try and buy something from the classifieds now!

You might want to actually read the threads your posting in though... sometimes thats helpful

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
That's funny. I still cringe when I see the picture Form posted where the guy we were with just tossed the skinned carcass in the back of that dirty #ss truck bed.
You mean like this...

123.jpg

Or maybe like this...

321.jpg

Whether you drop at the butcher, or process your own meat (what we do) you're going to fully clean and pick hair as you process properly. A little dirt/rust/hair/whatever ain't hurting anything I promise.

barnguy

FNG

You might want to actually read the threads your posting in though... sometimes thats helpful

Huh? I am reading the threads. No.. I just found this site and I'm pretty excited to participate. I love these old school forums.

barnguy

FNG

I even read the chest sheet. Lol. I know the subjects changed some, but I wanted to address the original op's post.

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
I'm the shooter on that bear in the back of the truck.

I don't need more shock or damage in the future, just another chance to make a proper shot.

I was advised a few days ahead of time to shoot at the center of the bear and in the excitement just fell back on old instincts.

If I have another chance its going to go "safety, center, breathe breathe breathe, exhale, CENTER PUNCH"

Last edited:

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider

240fb72e3b1bb1f9f0a112a7f58e556f.jpg

You mean like this kind of damage? I personally enjoy eating the meat from game I harvest. Not sure I’d be wanting to inflict as much damage as I can. Granted this isn’t a .223 harvest, but who would want this much loss?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti151

WKR
240fb72e3b1bb1f9f0a112a7f58e556f.jpg

You mean like this kind of damage? I personally enjoy eating the meat from game I harvest. Not sure I’d be wanting to inflict as much damage as I can. Granted this isn’t a .223 harvest, but who would want this much loss?

Phew, what created that carnage?

Thegman

WKR

IDK, I've had exactly the same experience with 308 and 30-06 on bears. Didn't seem to offer any wiggle room.

Like I say about bears: Hit em right, and they're not tough, hit em wrong, and they are.
Like pointed out above, I've found it surprisingly easy to hit them wrong, especially when you've been shooting deer and other cervids for years.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
Phew, what created that carnage?

6.5 PRC with factory 143 eldx. Never again. Did this to both mule deer we shot with it last year.

Light weight calibers from here on out. I dropped to the smallest legal caliber I could for this next season. This thread has been a great educator on bullet selection and performance in tissue. The fundamental premise is spot on. Shoot a lot and shoot accurately and the right bullet will do the intended purpose. The idea that larger calibers offer more wiggle room has been fairly put to bed in the pages in this discussion.

Last edited: