.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Nobody said it was. There’s just a lot more of it. Hence the amount of muscle you need to penetrate to get to vitals is more.
Bear vitals aren’t protected by muscle, it’s thin hide, fat, and ribs unless you take a hard quarter to shot, but a broadside shot on any bear, where the lungs sit, there is hardly any muscle, if you are shooting through a lot of muscle, you shot too far forward

The potential aggression of a grizzly or coastal brown bear is what sets them apart. When they're hurt and have decided to take their anger out on you thats where the magic usually comes from. They can be quite dangerous, and move extremely quickly. They are faster than a horse, and can be on you really abruptly. Something moving that fast right at you can be hard to kill if you can't maintain control of yourself and shoot under pressure. I ran into a grizzly on a black bear hunt a few years back. I was about 30 feet away from it. It's a sobering experience. Fortunately nothing came of it, but I was done hunting for the day after that.
What does that have to do with cartridge choice? The popular combo is a big cartridge and hard bullet for max penetration

Making a good initial shot is the most important aspect, and ability for quick follow up shots is a benefit… cartridge choice may matter there, but bigger is better would be counter intuitive in that regard

Bear vitals aren’t protected by muscle, it’s thin hide, fat, and ribs unless you take a hard quarter to shot, but a broadside shot on any bear, where the lungs sit, there is hardly any muscle, if you are shooting through a lot of muscle, you shot too far forward
Is the point of this to try to say grizzlies are not significantly different than whitetail as far as killing them? I mean if you shot both with even a 30-06 you’d know. That’s not to say the 223 can’t do the job, it can.

Thegman

WKR
O thought you were the expert? I’ve cut up many deer and skinned a number of grizzlies. I’d estimate at least 3 times as much muscle on a griz than a whitetail minimum.
I think what roosiebull is saying is that if you're heart/lung shooting a bear broadside, you're not shooting through much muscle. You're shooting through the ribcage, further back than you would a deer.

He's 100% correct about shooting a bear too far forward. A shot that would end up with a dead deer can end with an unrecovered bear. Twice I've killed bears a couple of weeks after I'd hit and lost them from hits too far forward; I'm a slow learner apparently.

They were both alive and feeding when I eventually killed them. I didn’t know either were the bears I'd lost until field dressing them and finding my own bullet in them, broken shoulder and all.

(To add, I've shot both with a 30-06. I've not noticed any appreciable difference in their dying with correctly placed broadside shots)

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
O thought you were the expert? I’ve cut up many deer and skinned a number of grizzlies. I’d estimate at least 3 times as much muscle on a griz than a whitetail minimum.

So… how much muscle is that, in inches? Three times a deer?

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
What does that have to do with cartridge choice? The popular combo is a big cartridge and hard bullet for max penetration

Making a good initial shot is the most important aspect, and ability for quick follow up shots is a benefit… cartridge choice may matter there, but bigger is better would be counter intuitive in that regard
Did I say that had anything to do with cartridge selection? It has to do with the shooters ability to make aimed, accurate shots under pressure, regardless of cartridge selection. Essentially any rifle round out there with a proper bullet choice will kill a bear, and will penetrate the venerable grizzly skull, that many folks think is the equivalent to an Abrams tank. I was saying people need to change their mindset when hunting an apex predator. They're aggressive, fast, and dangerous. Don't go out with the mindset like you're hunting whitetail. Practice shooting quickly and efficiently under stress. If you never do that, and find yourself needing to do that during a hunt you are gonna be in a bad spot. Be familiar with bear anatomy, as has been said many times, you need to aim differently for bear vitals vice deer vitals.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’m glad ‘gunwriters’ are no longer relevant. Now if we can do the same with the YouTubers we can get some real information out there.

Before everyone gets upset there are some decent video/writers out there.

2y2c

FNG
So… how much muscle is that, in inches? Three times a deer?
I don’t know the answer to this but I’d like to. I’m guessing 4 inches to get from hide to inside of the chest cavity broadside. Not through the shoulder, which would be more, but apparently not enough more to matter to hornady black 62s.

Reactions: BLJ

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m sure Spomer is a nice guy, but what he does is distribute dogma and opinion that is rarely based on rigorous testing.

Yes, but that isn’t Phil. Phil uses a 30/06 as a “back up” rifle often. 25:44 is the key time in that podcast.

ElPollo

WKR
Yes, but that isn’t Phil. Phil uses a 30/06 as a “back up” rifle often. 25:44 is the key time in that podcast.
Yeah, I listened to that one last week. Phil is the guy who killed a coastal brownie with a compact 9mm. If I remember right, he was talking about how Alaskans kill bears and moose all the time with 223s and FMJs. I think he went on to say he didn’t recommend that and his top recommendation for rifles to bring to AK was a 30/06 or whatever you use at home and shoot a lot. My point about Ron is just that he spends so much time talking about kinetic energy in every darned video and about the 1000/1500 foot pound rule. That said Ron has also talked about taking deer with a 22-250 AI with big bullets, so he isn’t all bad.

I think this discussion about big bears is quite funny. It has no bearing (bad pun) on the majority of Norte Americanos who live outside the range of the Big Angry Bear and most of us will never hunt or see one.

However the fact that Phil says Alaskans kill them all the time with 223 FMJs and that the guy who posted here killed one with two 223 FMJs aught to remind us all that bullet placement trumps both caliber and bullet construction.

Odd1out

FNG
One thing I'm not sure has been mentioned about bears is they slow their heart beat to 3 a minute when they hibernate. 20 seconds with zero blood pressure is a long time to run away or toward you. They are scary fast in short bursts and stack on adrenaline with fight or flight response. Regardless of what cartridge or arrow you use. Make the first shot count and the following shots must too. Lastly bears pack the engine compartment farther back the most people think. My 2 cents worth

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

z987k

WKR
aac55280567cd3af36d6fef148bf1bfe.jpg

Coastal Alaskan Brown bear. 223 2 shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was waiting for this.