.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
Any opinions on a 308 projectile with an effective range to 600 on elk? Thanks
E Arthur Brown offers a sabot that allows for a .22 cal projectile in .30 cal round. (Link provided below)
So I’d recommend a 77 TMK in your .308

Last edited:

SouthPaw

WKR
79g DRT hpbt tungsten core (lead free).

160ish pound sow, 2380 fps impact. High shoulder hit resulted in a bang flop. To me it looks like the bullet upset almost immediately and achieved good max wound width (maybe 3" or so?) No exit.

Entry:

shoulder entry.jpg

Underneath onside shoulder:

onside shoudler 2.jpg

Cavity entrance, shoulder removed:

cavity entrance.jpg

Offside shoulder, and recovered jacket:

offside shoulder.jpg

jacket.jpg

79g DRT hpbt tungsten core (lead free).

160ish pound sow, 2380 fps impact. High shoulder hit resulted in a bang flop. To me it looks like the bullet upset almost immediately and achieved good max wound width (maybe 3" or so?) No exit.

Entry:

View attachment 692452

Underneath onside shoulder:

View attachment 692457

Cavity entrance, shoulder removed:

View attachment 692453

Offside shoulder, and recovered jacket:

View attachment 692456

View attachment 692455
How deep did it penetrate? Cool to see some results with this projectile

Rolltide

FNG
Wow, I've went through all 342 pages of this thread, reading most and looking at all of the pics.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed!

It's amazing to see what the little .223s can do! I primarily hunt in Virginia, where .243 is the smallest legal caliber for deer and bear.

I'm still going to put together a RSS because it seems like the perfect tool for a lot of the other places I hunt.

Cheers!

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, I've went through all 342 pages of this thread, reading most and looking at all of the pics.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed!

It's amazing to see what the little .223s can do! I primarily hunt in Virginia, where .243 is the smallest legal caliber for deer and bear.

I'm still going to put together a RSS because it seems like the perfect tool for a lot of the other places I hunt.

Cheers!
I have a friend back there that has written proposals to your fish and game explaining how your pistol hunting regs make zero sense compared to an arbitrary diameter restriction. Did not gain traction.

Silly to me there are places that specify caliber restrictions.

Even sillier are the places dictating bullet composition.
Here in colorado we divided on where we can use 223/556. On the east side it’s no issue, use it for everything. On the west side, 223/556 can only be used for coyotes.

bluekiss

FNG
That's true, .223 it’ll kill a deer. But why would you use it knowing it’s extremely limited compared to say 270, 7 mag, 308, etc… love my 223 for predator hunting and target shooting though.

Rolltide

FNG
Silly to me there are places that specify caliber restrictions.

Even sillier are the places dictating bullet composition.
When I was a kid going through the Hunter's Education course, I asked a Game Warden who was there "What makes our deer so much tougher than other deer?"

He looked confused and said they weren't any tougher...a whitetail deer is a whitetail deer.

That's when I asked him why states farther south let hunters use any centerfire rifle cartridge and Virginia says it must be a .243 or larger to be legal...

His response: "Because somebody, somewhere, said that's the rules..."

It didn't make sense to me then and it still doesn't make sense today.