.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Juan_ID

WKR
I promised my wife that I will not buy another firearm last year and I kept my promise like a champ.
It's 2024 now and to my luck, Bass Pro has a promo on the TX3 Lite D-18. Additionally, Beretta is running a rebate on the T3X so as of 10 min ago, I can finally say that I'm joining the rockslide special team. Can't wait to pick it up.
I hope I’m wrong but didn’t that rebate expire yesterday?

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
Simple thought to me.
I run a 2.5 - 10X scope. If I had to go with one setting and never touch it again, it would not be 10X but would likely be around the 6X zone. Typical deer range for me 50-275…
I’m no master of knowledge, so take it for what it’s worth…

I promised my wife that I will not buy another firearm last year and I kept my promise like a champ.
It's 2024 now and to my luck, Bass Pro has a promo on the TX3 Lite D-18. Additionally, Beretta is running a rebate on the T3X so as of 10 min ago, I can finally say that I'm joining the rockslide special team. Can't wait to pick it up.
That's a great value.
$949 ($400 off retail) less $75 rebate is $874, but you've got a fluted and threaded barrel, oversized bolt knob, and cerakote. In .243 at least, the Eurooptic cart price is either $699 (blue) or $799 (stainless), and after rebate you can't upgrade bolt knob, threading, etc... for $874 total.

Threading a barrel is under $200 and you can easily upgrade the bolts for around $50.

Not a terrible deal though if you like the D18's.

Threading a barrel is under $200 and you can easily upgrade the bolts for around $50.

Not a terrible deal though if you like the D18's.
The D-18 has more than threading and a bolt handle.

The cart price for the blued .223 is $699 from Eurooptic. Less $75 rebate you're looking at $624.

D-18 add-ons:
$150 to thread (estimated)
$70 oversized bolt handle (DIY estimate at $50 plus tax and shipping)
$100 to flute
$150 muzzle brake
$125 cerakote
$595

$624+$595= $1,219

So $874 for the D-18 after rebate is a damn good deal to most I think. The .243 is 1:8 twist as well.

EDIT: also comes with a fluted bolt, so probably another $100 or so in savings over the standard blued model on sale at Europtic.

Last edited:

ianpadron

WKR
I’m in the market for a SWFA fixed 6X if anyone has one to sell. My mid/low tier sig isn’t cutting it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have multiples of both.

FOV and eye box of 6x are truly as good as it gets. Was pounding rocks out to 518 yds this past week with zero need for more mag, spotting my own shots with eaas.

The 10s are more finicky in terms of eye box but still better than average. They become a better tool past 400 yds or so to my eyes.

Seems to be a relatively universal train of thought that if bulk of your shots are 0-400, get the 6x...majority are longer, get the 10. That is my sentiment as well.

One thing to note is that if I was planning on doing minimal to no still hunting, the 10x would be my choice as I find the reticle subtensions easier to see and even if a short shot presented itself, if you've practiced shouldering your rifle with speed it really isn't much of a hindrance at all. Assuming you'll be running a light recoiling rig, spotting shots at 100 is a breeze with the 10x.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
I have multiples of both.

FOV and eye box of 6x are truly as good as it gets. Was pounding rocks out to 518 yds this past week with zero need for more mag, spotting my own shots with eaas.

The 10s are more finicky in terms of eye box but still better than average. They become a better tool past 400 yds or so to my eyes.

Seems to be a relatively universal train of thought that if bulk of your shots are 0-400, get the 6x...majority are longer, get the 10. That is my sentiment as well.

One thing to note is that if I was planning on doing minimal to no still hunting, the 10x would be my choice as I find the reticle subtensions easier to see and even if a short shot presented itself, if you've practiced shouldering your rifle with speed it really isn't much of a hindrance at all. Assuming you'll be running a light recoiling rig, spotting shots at 100 is a breeze with the 10x.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Definitely makes me wanna hold out for the 6x. 450-500 is my max 1800 fps with my setup anyway

ianpadron

WKR
Definitely makes me wanna hold out for the 6x. 450-500 is my max 1800 fps with my setup anyway

I've scooped 2 in the past month for below new price. Keep an eye on here, EBay, and Snipers Hide. If 500 is your max the 6x is absolutely the better tool.

Has anyone here tried to nose ring a 77gr smk and shoot an animal with it? Seems like it would upset more consistently?

Just curious since there are so many cheap/accurate options with the 77gr smk, is it as simple as buying a nose ring tool and getting good and consistent performance on critters?

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
I've scooped 2 in the past month for below new price. Keep an eye on here, EBay, and Snipers Hide. If 500 is your max the 6x is absolutely the better tool.

Okay I’ll keep an eye out man. Do you mind me asking what you paid ?

Has anyone here tried to nose ring a 77gr smk and shoot an animal with it? Seems like it would upset more consistently?

Just curious since there are so many cheap/accurate options with the 77gr smk, is it as simple as buying a nose ring tool and getting good and consistent performance on critters?
I asked this about Berger 156's, and Form (I believe) responded that the nose ring approach is a red herring, and not likely the reason DTACs can be effective (they tumble). They seemed to be studying the nose ring approach and weren't convinced it actually helped bullets open up on impact like advertised. I'm guessing the TMK's are still the best option.

Maybe they'll correct me.

@Formidilosus @Ryan Avery

I asked this about Berger 156's, and Form (I believe) responded that the nose ring approach is a red herring, and not likely the reason DTACs can be effective (they tumble). They seemed to be studying the nose ring approach and weren't convinced it actually helped bullets open up on impact like advertised. I'm guessing the TMK's are still the best option.

Thanks, I figured if it was something that was a good option, it would be in practice, I was just curious, mainly because the nose ringed dtac being a thing and smk’s not reliably upsetting

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

So Nose Ringing does seem to help OTM’s or pointed OTM’s like some SMK’s upset earlier or more reliably. @eoperator has seen some indications in gel that NR Bergers have a shorter neck length than standard, but they also upset better in the beginning than SMK’s. A NR 77gr SMK would probably be fine, but will be more variable than a tipped bullet by far. The Nose Ring tool is also expensive. Between the 77gr SMK even with a NR, and the 73gr ELD-M- the 73gr ELD-M is a way easier, more available option.

In general unless there is a compelling reason to NR a bullet (6mm heavy projectile for instance), plastic tipped bullets are a better, more reliable option.

So Nose Ringing does seem to help OTM’s or pointed OTM’s like some SMK’s upset earlier or more reliably. @eoperator has seen some indications in gel that NR Bergers have a shorter neck length than standard, but they also upset better in the beginning than SMK’s. A NR 77gr SMK would probably be fine, but will be more variable than a tipped bullet by far. The Nose Ring tool is also expensive. Between the 77gr SMK even with a NR, and the 73gr ELD-M- the 73gr ELD-M is a way easier, more available option.

In general unless there is a compelling reason to NR a bullet (6mm heavy projectile for instance), plastic tipped bullets are a better, more reliable option.
Excellent, thanks for the reply

Thanks to everyone that has contributed evidence and knowledge to this great thread! I found it and read the whole thing in January 2023. I just finished reading it for a second time.

It saved my dad’s whitetail hunting season this year. He had eye surgery and the doctor said he couldn’t shoot his typical rifle due to recoil. He asked about the .223 and the doctor was okay with the lower recoil. He ended up killing 2 deer with 77 gr TMK’s and another with 62 gr Fusion. I don’t think he would have tried it without me insisting it would work based on the evidence shown here.

I have two Oryx tags next week. Private land guided so almost guaranteed within 200 yds...

Still nervous to try 223 for some reason. Might just go with the mighty 6.5 creed...