.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Shraggs

WKR
Took pics this year.

Meat doe, 157 yards from tree stand. Despite a railing I find them challenging to get small wobble but put good one on here.

IMG_6554.jpeg

She went 18 yards and did the backwards somersault and done in seconds. Half heart left and bottom lungs were liquid.

IMG_6555.jpeg

I’ll look for bullet, had some local coyotes aggressively pushing me to hurry…

Shraggs

WKR
Aggressively pushing you? I'm pretty sure the 223 would have taken care of that behavior....😅
Ha they know it’s dinner. Occasionally they get a bit close and gun and side arm in truck. It’s farm land generally safe.

Preferably I like to come back at first light and shoot them since center fire not legal in dark for fur and vermin.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
Well, it's no Rokslide special, but thanks to following this thread for the last year or so and my kids getting older, I broke down and bought a Savage 110 .223. I needed a compact lefty (my 2 oldest kids and I are all left eye dominant). And that was the only real option off the shelf without paying more than $1000 or taking a hacksaw to a stock, but so far it shoots great and the 1:9 twist will stabilize and group the 73 gr ELD-M's very well.
I'm looking forward to a lot of shooting with this thing, and I don't even mind the stiffness of the action 😆

Big_wals

Lil-Rokslider
Well, it's no Rokslide special, but thanks to following this thread for the last year or so and my kids getting older, I broke down and bought a Savage 110 .223. I needed a compact lefty (my 2 oldest kids and I are all left eye dominant). And that was the only real option off the shelf without paying more than $1000 or taking a hacksaw to a stock, but so far it shoots great and the 1:9 twist will stabilize and group the 73 gr ELD-M's very well.
I'm looking forward to a lot of shooting with this thing, and I don't even mind the stiffness of the action 😆
I was looking at those the other day, I'd like to get a 223 set up for my wife and she needs a compact lefty. Good to hear it'll stabilize 73s, I was wondering about that. Does it actually feel like a compact rifle with the spacer taken out, or just a full size gun with a short stock? I would also get the barrel chopped at 16 to 18 inches, so that'd help too.

Just for fun, guess which deer was shot with a 223/77 tmk, and which one was a 300 win mag/ 180 TTSX. Both shots sub 100 yards.
Dear A entrance
View attachment 632535
Deer A exit
View attachment 632534

Deer B entrance
View attachment 632539
Deer B exit
View attachment 632537
View attachment 632536

A is TMK?

Looks like B made a smaller but more consistent wound channel. TSX flavored monolithic are great for penetration, I've never had an issue. But that TMK is just special in the tissue damage department.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at those the other day, I'd like to get a 223 set up for my wife and she needs a compact lefty. Good to hear it'll stabilize 73s, I was wondering about that. Does it actually feel like a compact rifle with the spacer taken out, or just a full size gun with a short stock? I would also get the barrel chopped at 16 to 18 inches, so that'd help too.
I got the apex hunter 110 that has a 20" barrel, so it's basically identical in proportion to my wife's mossberg bantam compact and my brother's Tikka T3x compact. A longer barrel might feel a little different though.
Here's some of my first few shots with the 73 ELD-M. This was just 50 yards. Very consistent grouping and all the holes look nice and round to me. (1" orange stickers)20231126_161026.jpg20231126_161019.jpg
My brother tried 77 TMK's out of a 9 twist and it wouldn't group and had obvious keyholing and oval shaped holes.

Big_wals

Lil-Rokslider
I got the apex hunter 110 that has a 20" barrel, so it's basically identical in proportion to my wife's mossberg bantam compact and my brother's Tikka T3x compact. A longer barrel might feel a little different though.
Here's some of my first few shots with the 73 ELD-M. This was just 50 yards. Very consistent grouping and all the holes look nice and round to me. (1" orange stickers)View attachment 632720View attachment 632721
My brother tried 77 TMK's out of a 9 twist and it wouldn't group and had obvious keyholing and oval shaped holes.
Thanks for the info. Im still looking around, probably wont buy something for a couple months. But I'll definitely keep that rifle in mind.

A is TMK?

Looks like B made a smaller but more consistent wound channel. TSX flavored monolithic are great for penetration, I've never had an issue. But that TMK is just special in the tissue damage department.

A is ttsx, B is TMK. The wounds are more similar than I would have guessed, with the Barnes doing slightly more damage on the entrance side, and the tmk more on the exit. Small sample size and anecdotal, but the Barnes deer also made it 125 yards, the tmk deer only made it 5.

xsn10s

WKR
A is ttsx, B is TMK. The wounds are more similar than I would have guessed, with the Barnes doing slightly more damage on the entrance side, and the tmk more on the exit. Small sample size and anecdotal, but the Barnes deer also made it 125 yards, the tmk deer only made it 5.
I'd like to know the final weight of the TTSX.

xsn10s

WKR
The negative response without even examining the terminal performance of the 77 TMK of here is well.... I'm not completely ready to give up my other cartridges but this thread is very helpful. To all cartridges.