.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't tried the Gameking or the Gold dots (yet!) but they are both on my list. an acquaintance has urged me to try 55 grain Nosler ballistic tips after having used it on deer with good results so thats the next experiment.

So far the 55 grain Hornadys and both 52-53 Matchkings have been excellent and have roughly the same POI so I can swap back and forth between them without monkeying around. Hard to change when they work as well as they do!
I've never shot a deer with the nosler ballistic tips, but they are my absolute favorite bullet for coyotes.

JohnDough

FNG
Thanks for sharing. That round seems to never disappoint.
I've found it to expand reliably as long as you keep velocities up to 1900+, and it always penetrates well. Typical destruction isn't insane, but it's what I'd call "A reliable bullet". Kindof like the Glock 19. It's not the highest capacity, it's not the whateverest, but it WILL work, and it's proven.

xsn10s

WKR
I’m sure they scrubbed it as bullying but I posted 7 cow elk all hanging at a meat processor and got the hammer fan club all fired up about those magic little bullets. When I revealed they were 80g eld m out of a 22-250 no one believed it and I got temporarily banned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where was this at?

I’m sure they scrubbed it as bullying but I posted 7 cow elk all hanging at a meat processor and got the hammer fan club all fired up about those magic little bullets. When I revealed they were 80g eld m out of a 22-250 no one believed it and I got temporarily banned

That is great, internet trolling at it’s finest, love it
BTW I have been having great results with the same combo

amassi

WKR
Any more information on the cow elk with the 80 ELDM? Yardages etc?

From 150- about 450 yards
They all died in undramatic (non rodeo) fashion. One I shot 3 times right at 300 yards because I didn’t want her jumping or running over a fence. Lungs- high crease- base of neck.
The longer range ones they just humped up and started the death wobble -about the time the second round hit them, the second almost always knocked em over.
***None of them required a second shot but because of the situation and ranchers request they all got shot until they stopped moving***

The cow at 150 was the biggest I’ve ever seen, first round blew a chunk of lung about 15 yards behind her onto the snow second farther forward destroyed the heart and she faceplanted and pushed a pile of snow about 10 feet.

The rancher did not believe a 22 cal was sufficient and really wanted me to use a bigger mag. Part of the deal for the elk permits was we would shoot a mule deer doe as well. After the 3rd or fourth doe with the 80 eld he relented and admitted the 80 was more than sufficient. Even the butcher guessed we were shooting some big boomer mag.
Our 80 eld m wounds were more violent and predictable than the 7 mag 160 trophy bonded bear claw the rancher was using and his sons 300 win/ accubond combo
Even without a suppressor we were able to shoot multiples without the herd getting too upset. If I lived in a state where I could own a suppressor there isn’t many situations I couldn’t do with a big 22 cal.

xsn10s

WKR
From 150- about 450 yards
They all died in undramatic (non rodeo) fashion. One I shot 3 times right at 300 yards because I didn’t want her jumping or running over a fence. Lungs- high crease- base of neck.
The longer range ones they just humped up and started the death wobble -about the time the second round hit them, the second almost always knocked em over.
***None of them required a second shot but because of the situation and ranchers request they all got shot until they stopped moving***

The cow at 150 was the biggest I’ve ever seen, first round blew a chunk of lung about 15 yards behind her onto the snow second farther forward destroyed the heart and she faceplanted and pushed a pile of snow about 10 feet.

The rancher did not believe a 22 cal was sufficient and really wanted me to use a bigger mag. Part of the deal for the elk permits was we would shoot a mule deer doe as well. After the 3rd or fourth doe with the 80 eld he relented and admitted the 80 was more than sufficient. Even the butcher guessed we were shooting some big boomer mag.
Our 80 eld m wounds were more violent and predictable than the 7 mag 160 trophy bonded bear claw the rancher was using and his sons 300 win/ accubond combo
Even without a suppressor we were able to shoot multiples without the herd getting too upset. If I lived in a state where I could own a suppressor there isn’t many situations I couldn’t do with a big 22 cal.

I got a guy over at LRH that is taking personal shots in order to disprove the results shown on here (Alinsky tactics). It's comical, I think they'd make a mess of their shorts hearing this lol.

Hoove

FNG
Navy Weapons Center seems to think the M262 (77SMK) is good for putting bg in a grave. Physically a deer shouldn’t be anymore difficult.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Navy Weapons Center seems to think the M262 (77SMK) is good for putting bg in a grave. Physically a deer shouldn’t be anymore difficult.

You’re leaving out a massive amount of information in order to greatly oversimplify something to fit your beliefs.
First- it’s not 2001. What was “great” in comparison 22 years ago, isn’t great anymore. Second- you’re using an entity that issued very poor FMJ and said they killed just fine as well. Third, the MK262 Mod1 contract is no more due to relatively poor terminal behavior in comparison to the current issued ammunition, and the perceived lessened need for a match accurate round. Forth- and the big one; the US MIL- all entities understand very little about terminal ballistics, and the very few places that have some idea, is only rudimentary.

No place that has a choice about what ammo they shoot, chooses to use 77gr SMK’s anymore.

Hoove

FNG
You’re leaving out a massive amount of information in order to greatly oversimplify something to fit your beliefs.
First- it’s not 2001. What was “great” in comparison 22 years ago, isn’t great anymore. Second- you’re using an entity that issued very poor FMJ and said they killed just fine as well. Third, the MK262 Mod1 contract is no more due to relatively poor terminal behavior in comparison to the current issued ammunition, and the perceived lessened need for a match accurate round. Forth- and the big one; the US MIL- all entities understand very little about terminal ballistics, and the very few places that have some idea, is only rudimentary.

No place that has a choice about what ammo they shoot, chooses to use 77gr SMK’s anymore.
You’re correct to a point. It’s like the analyst question my wife’s asks. “How the heck did pioneers feed their families with worn 36 cal rifles and no CLP fir lube”? Lol
Old Paco the lever rifle guru kept venison on the table back in his impoverished days with 38 spl hand cast out of a worn out ‘92 lever gun.
So I’d suspect an accurate high velocity 224 will put em on the table with a reasonably talented rifleman.