.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

That is what I thought jokingly in my head but if someone had cut one open and seen an actual difference I’d like to know before I injure an animal and have to walk all night
I have 98% certainty it's the same bullet, but someone more qualified than me would need to confirm it. It's not uncommon for a bullet manufacturer to change the tip color, i.e. Fiocchi has blue tip Vmax bullets. I'd have no qualms using that ammo to hunt with.

@Veloci_Wrench @Oakridge @qwerksc

My first date with a 223 was today @ 14:30
First sip of the Kool-Aid was sweet….
Turns out, killing something on both ends of the gun may be unnecessary

Howa Mini .223
Burris 2-10X40 Signature
Jefferson Outdoor bottom metal

Need to drain 100 rounds so I can begin reloading
How do you like the Jefferson bottom metal? I am thinking about ordering it today for my 223. I am getting 1.25 MOA consistently with Fiocchi 77 Factory and have some decent loads with 8208 and Tmks.....but they start to spray past 23 grains.

Veloci_Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
Well shit the bone frog link is no longer visible to normals like me I guess. I snoozed I loozed
Form stated earlier in thread that blue tips are exact same as green tips. Also, they are much more expensive but you can find that Federal ammo on GunBroker.

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
How do you like the Jefferson bottom metal? I am thinking about ordering it today for my 223. I am getting 1.25 MOA consistently with Fiocchi 77 Factory and have some decent loads with 8208 and Tmks.....but they start to spray past 23 grains.
Looks great, excellent machining and finish. I have not used it enough to speak to consistency of operation.

Bob2650

FNG
Can't believe I read the whole thing!
Great thread guys!
Super high quality and even the fuds were more entertaining than annoying.
The great number and quality of the necroscopy photos really seals the deal on the formerly lowly 223.
I am convinced the TMK is very special.
Some day I will find some and try them out.
I have been a heavy user of the SMK for many years. Don't know why I never thought of hunting with a TMK.
I won't be selling my traditional caliber hunting rifles anytime soon but I look forward to using the 223 much more often.

Oakridge

FNG
Has anyone tested the Winchester Deer season xp 64 gr? Seems like it could be another very available option for folks to try.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone tested the Winchester Deer season xp 64 gr? Seems like it could be another very available option for folks to try.
The 64gr Win PP worked well for me at short distances. I expect this newer version would expand better so extend the effective range.
There is video on u toob of a close shot on WT. Just search the name of the ammo.

Oakridge

FNG
The 64gr Win PP worked well for me at short distances. I expect this newer version would expand better so extend the effective range.
There is video on u toob of a close shot on WT. Just search the name of the ammo.
That’s kinda what I was hoping, I’ll look up that video. Most of my shots are sub 100 yards so I’m not very concerned at distance out of the short barrel

Carlin59

WKR
Watched a buddy use these on two antelope does last year. Both shots around 200 yards out of a 22” barrel, so should have had plenty of velocity. Both were solid shots tight behind front leg, and both took a long time to die and required a finishing headshot after we walked up on them in the sage. Should have done a necropsy to see exactly what damage was done, but pretty disappointed in the XP. I think we will both be finding something else to use in our .223s this year.

Oakridge

FNG
Watched a buddy use these on two antelope does last year. Both shots around 200 yards out of a 22” barrel, so should have had plenty of velocity. Both were solid shots tight behind front leg, and both took a long time to die and required a finishing headshot after we walked up on them in the sage. Should have done a necropsy to see exactly what damage was done, but pretty disappointed in the XP. I think we will both be finding something else to use in our .223s this year.
maybe I’ll stay with the ELD M for now then. I just got my mini setup so time to see what it likes!

Boonie327

FNG
You should, it’s the most informative material I’ve read on the internet period. If you can’t let go of traditional stigmas, it probably won’t matter, but if you are capable of reading with an open mind, your opinions will shift at least some.

The vast information (experience based) in this thread can be applied to any cartridge as well, it’s about the .223 but goes much deeper than that alone.

I opened this thread because I’m a sucker for clickbait thread titles, but it got real legs pretty quick.
I completely agree after reading this thread. It’s eye opening and even if you don’t jump on the .223 train (or 77 tmk), it has make people think a little bit you’d hope. Or maybe it can at least open your mind to the information presented in the 6mm or quarter bore threads that show they kill everything dead too, but I’m pretty sure that no one is convincing the naysayers and energy guys of anything different.

Trackselk

WKR
Was reading an article from some law enforcement expert about the wound cavity of .223 fmj's in humans, which I would assume would be about the same as a big game animal. Anyhow, he said that the wound cavity (think trashed, bleeding lungs, heart, liver) was 11-12 times the bullet diameter. That makes 2.5". So, my point in mentioning this, is that unless you are also anti archery x2+, that an fmj .223 through the vitals is way more deadly than any arrow. I think this explains the success on moose in Alaska with the fmj .223's. Now, the tmk is vastly more lethal than that, or even monos...
Lastly, I hunt archery also, so I'm not bashing on arrows. It's just basic physics that a bullet at rifle speeds destroys tissue dramatically.
Dumpster fire started I hope 😋

Bob2650

FNG
Perhaps I am guilty of assumption, sorry.
The 77 TMK works at 2,000fps or even less but an Alaskan moose at 50 paces with an FMJ in the heart is not going far.
I am for the 20" barrel for 5.56 FMJ in combat to produce the minimum magic velocity of 2,500fps to 2.700fps at a useful distance to greatly increase the wounding potential. Given enough speed, the FMJ woks just fine.

Anyone know the best powder for a clone of Black Hills 5.56 77 tmk? I think I'll finally start loading for my Tikka. I know form posted a no-nonsense place to start a while back, but I'm not having luck finding it. My favorite powder is H4350, but I've got access to some faster burn rates, CFE223, Varget, etc,

BjornF16

WKR
Anyone know the best powder for a clone of Black Hills 5.56 77 tmk? I think I'll finally start loading for my Tikka. I know form posted a no-nonsense place to start a while back, but I'm not having luck finding it. My favorite powder is H4350, but I've got access to some faster burn rates, CFE223, Varget, etc,