.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

ea54dc612003e4703458fd261dcd86c9.jpg

Just an update. Finally got the 77s to shoot something decent. Ended up tweaking seating depth with a longer metal mag. My first time really messing with seating depth and was pleasantly surprised to see it improve accuracy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really wish Washington didn't have a .24 caliber minimum. Would be a great blacktail round.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
we have the same limit in Alberta, but good news is you can get close to this 'do more with less powder formula' with 6mm-ARC or 6.5 Grendel, they burn ~30 grains of powder and are also 'AR Cartridges' and they are the most versatile of all the AR cartridges imo just because you can hunt them on most of the continent but also, especially with the 6mm, the bullets range from down into .223 weight ranges but up over .243 weight ranges too, the 6.5 bullets are more down to the .243 weights and up to the lighter weight 7-08/.270 range, either way .223/6mm/6.5mm have a lot of bullet choices and flexibility, can't go wrong

Anyone have any info on impact velocities? How slow are these still working? I know it’s not exact, but a close guess. Thanks.

Anyone have any info on impact velocities? How slow are these still working? I know it’s not exact, but a close guess. Thanks.
It’s in the thread somewhere pages back, probably a few times.

My goal is to keep them going 2k impact velocity, which works good with what I consider a long range for the 223.

Thanks @Lawnboi. I assumed it would be in here, just didn’t want to do an 80 page search for it.
Your looking for 2k and above? For deer size game?

Thanks @Lawnboi. I assumed it would be in here, just didn’t want to do an 80 page search for it.
Your looking for 2k and above? For deer size game?
Yes, a couple reasons, I want aggressive expansion. In my experience 2k does that. My bullet hits 2k at around 400 yards. Beyond that I feel like I’m gambling when it comes to that bullet from a 223 in the wind.

Good upset (read wide) down to 1,800’ish fps. Understand that as with all cartridges, below around 2,000fps wounds will be narrower due to the temp cavity not causing permanent damage.

I do not necessarily recommend using it to this, however I have seen multiple kills quite a bit below 1,800fps impact and the wounds were still dramatic.

Good upset (read wide) down to 1,800’ish fps. Understand that as with all cartridges, below around 2,000fps wounds will be narrower due to the temp cavity not causing permanent damage.

I do not necessarily recommend using it to this, however I have seen multiple kills quite a bit below 1,800fps impact and the wounds were still dramatic.
What I wanted to here. Much appreciated.

Back