.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

I've got 200 rounds of them to test. Just need to get out.
Been reading a lot of reports that PSA is loading their 77gr OTM loads very hot. Curious to see how spicy these are.
The PSA 75 and 77 OTMs were hot in a factory tikka 223 for me for sure.

The PSA 75 and 77 OTMs were hot in a factory tikka 223 for me for sure.

Hot as in not safe, or just nice and fast? NOTE: I know ZERO about reloading and have only shot factory ammo my entire life. So forgive me is this is an ignorant question. I don't mind asking them if I learn something. :)

Hot as in not safe, or just nice and fast? NOTE: I know ZERO about reloading and have only shot factory ammo my entire life. So forgive me is this is an ignorant question. I don't mind asking them if I learn something. :)

I had frequent sticky bolt lift that I don't typically experience in that rifle so i can say if it were a handload i would absolutely back off on the powder charge. Hard to say what is "not safe". I'm not particularly afraid to shoot them but i would consider the ones i've had to be too hot in my sample of 1 tikka 223 and I would not buy any more for the purpose of shooting them in that rifle. They run fine in the one 556 AR i shot them in. The ammo i'm referring to is 556 so one should expect them to be warmer loads and likely exceed SAAMI max pressure spec in a 223 rifle.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

Watched 600’ish of them shot in the last couple weeks from two different T3 223’s. Their on the warm side, but not unsafe or any issue.

I have this ruger m77 mkII in 204 that I don't shoot. Ammo is fairly expensive and not the easiest to find. Thought about sending it out to be rebarreled to 223. I don't know who I should send it to though and what exactly I need to tell them for chambering, barrel contour and such. I want it to pretty much only shoot the 75 and 77gr bullets, whether it's ELDM and or TMK. Any suggestions for a gunsmith and what brand, contour and specific chamber of barrel? Want to keep it fairly light weight.

I know I'll likely be money ahead by selling this just getting a Tikka, but I'd like to turn this into something I'll use often.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Shaen Magen would be my choice, but he’s not accepting any new work right now.

If there is no heirloom family attachment to the rifle, I’d simply replace it with a Tikka 223 and be done with it. If you want the work done on your Ruger, Kampfeld Customs is where I’d send it.

Last edited:

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
This is my first post on RokSlide:
After a few days with a wild and uncurried wolf pack from north Idaho area and NW Montana, I chugged the Kool-aid and learned to never say the "F"word (*LYER) around Form.
Two days later I had in my possession a Tikka T3x Superlite Stainless, KRG Bravo & have a SilencerCo Omega 300 on the way.
Just finished a week marathon reading from Post#1. Amazing.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
This is my first post on RokSlide:
After a few days with a wild and uncurried wolf pack from north Idaho area and NW Montana, I chugged the Kool-aid and learned to never say the "F"word (*LYER) around Form.
Two days later I had in my possession a Tikka T3x Superlite Stainless, KRG Bravo & have a SilencerCo Omega 300 on the way.
Just finished a week marathon reading from Post#1. Amazing.

My man.