.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Gorp2007

WKR
Your assertion that the military "chose that round for its ability to injure more than kill" is absolutely false. That would be a violation of LOAC.

Not only is the assertion unsupported, but even if it could be proven, it would only apply to the M193 round. No one in this thread is advocating for the killing potential of a 55 gr FMJ.

The military chose that round for its ability to injure more than kill. Killing an enemy solder removes 1 from the field, maiming 1 solder take 2 solders off the field (1 injured and 1 to care for them).

Buddy of mine sent me this clip recently. I immediately thought of this thread. DJ shipley probably has a good feel for reality on this.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
The military chose that round for its ability to injure more than kill. Killing an enemy solder removes 1 from the field, maiming 1 solder take 2 solders off the field (1 injured and 1 to care for them).

Completely and totally false. This is a nonsense myth that keeps getting repeated and has no basis in truth whatsoever.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
187 pages of evidence and folks will still choose to believe an old wives tale that lacks evidence.

It’s not just that it lacks evidence- it’s completely false. 100% against US military doctrine, LOAC, and common sense. One of the metrics that the DOD used when selecting the 5.56 was something called “Stored Kills”. Meaning, in basic terms, the amount of “stored kills” in each magazine/combat load. With that metric the 5.56mm has more “stored kills” than 7.62x51mm.

Buddy of mine sent me this clip recently. I immediately thought of this thread. DJ shipley probably has a good feel for reality on this.

That last line, followed by the shoulder shrug:

"My favorite round's a 5.56 70 grain, 77 grain. I love that, because, whatever you shoot with it dies after one round."

TxLite

WKR
Fyi

31E6D1F4-1C30-4602-AE18-129FEAACAE0A.png

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
Not goona lie. My cheap ass will not be paying $0.43 per pop, for 223 bullets LOL

Other heavy match bullets are not free…..around $28 / 100. So the extra $15 to have the privilege of shooting the original, the rare, the Legend, the Tipped Match KING!?!?!?!?!?
Well I guess I’ll have to just say, I’m blessed they aren’t charging twice the price.
Put my order in for a couple hundred.

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
I'm tagging this to read later. I built a 22-250 ackley this spring that shoots the 75eldm at 3450. I'd like to try it on deer at some point. Also thinking I may get an antelope tag this year.