.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

cod0396

FNG
Question for those who have used TMKs in various calibers on game: is there something special about the 77gr version that does not apply to TMKs of other calibers? By that I mean, are all TMKs constructed similarly in terms of relative jacket thickness, relative hollowpoint size, minimum expansion/fragmentation velocity, etc.? I am well aware of how devastating the 77gr TMK is, but I don't hear as much about the performance of TMKs in other calibers.

Spoonbill

WKR
Question for those who have used TMKs in various calibers on game: is there something special about the 77gr version that does not apply to TMKs of other calibers? By that I mean, are all TMKs constructed similarly in terms of relative jacket thickness, relative hollowpoint size, minimum expansion/fragmentation velocity, etc.? I am well aware of how devastating the 77gr TMK is, but I don't hear as much about the performance of TMKs in other calibers.
There have been a few posts about tmk’s in other calibers. If you do a search some info should pop up

the 6.5mm kill thread has some 130 tmk info

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
I did a thread search 👀 but no bueno!
Is the 52 grain ELD Match viable for deer inside say 150 yards? Looking to minimize recoil as much as possible for a 10 year old. He’s so thin he can get out of the rain by standing under a clothes line.

Is the 52 grain ELD Match viable for deer inside say 150 yards? Looking to minimize recoil as much as possible for a 10 year old. He’s so thin he can get out of the rain by standing under a clothes line.
I’ve used the 52 ELD a lot on coyotes. If it’s a straight on or shoulder shot it explodes. If it’s behind the shoulder it’s hard to find the entrance and there is never an exit.

Also I’ve had a few hit the target in random spots sideways. 22-250 with a slow twist.

11Justin22

Lil-Rokslider
The 62 grain fusion is, though I can't imagine there being much felt recoil difference between the lower grain options and 77gr tmk. I can't tell any difference anyways

This thread has been hard to keep up with... but I shared my success experience early on with the 75gr Swift Scirocco ii and only have a few left.

The 77 tmk seems to be the winning bullet, but curious if anyone has experience with the 64gr bonded solid base from Nosler?

I have but one kill with the BSB. It wrecked tissue. I load them for my grandkids in both 22-250 and 223. They almost always get pass throughs. LOTS of DRTs. Never have lost a deer they hit with one, and that is in thick tangled hell. They are killing machines too, to the tune of 2-3 deer per year or more. Hearts are turned to mush. Lungs demolished. Shots are all within 100 yards, so velocity is high. Accuracy is decent.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I would love to try some 70 grain Accubonds and some Scirocco bullets. Until those bullets and/or gold dots become available, I’m gonna hold off on my load development for my 223.

The 55 grain ballistic tip is a far better choice

I recall earlier in the thread that the 69 gr smk shot very similar to the 69 tmk but don't recall how the 77 smk vs the tmk did? it'd be nice to save the tmk's for critters.

FLS

WKR
SMKs shoot as well or better than TMKs in every rifle I own. Performance in tissue is inconstent. If you load your own, 24.5 Grains of TAC in LC brass lit by a BR4 primer loaded to 2.260” is the load I shoot for practice and tactical matches. I crank them out on my them Dillon 550 and they shoot sub MOA out of my 18” Match AR and 24” CTR.
I get 2876 out of the 24” 1-8 twist CTR and 2750 out of my 18” 1-8 Wylde AR.

I had been wondering how tac was for accuracy, thanks for sharing. I landed I heap of 75 bthps for training, looks Luke tac will be the powder to use for them.

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
1-8” will generally work for the 88’s in a 22-250, but a 1-7” or 1-7.5” is better.

And we need a 90+ grain TMK.
@Formidilosus

I’m 80% through the thread
I know this quote is from a while back…

What advantage(s) would you anticipate with added TMK weight?

I just bought a Howa .223 with a 1:8 twist
If shooting ELD Match, which weight 75, 80, 88 Grain would you recommend?
I’m thinking / imagining, heavier / slower may equal less ”splashy”, more penetration thoughts / experience?

BBob

WKR
I just bought a Howa .223 with a 1:8 twist
If shooting ELD Match, which weight 75, 80, 88 Grain would you recommend?

None of those are going to fit into a Howa Mini magazine unless you load them with the ojive back into the neck. The only ELD-M’s that will load seated normally into a case and that magazine are the 73’s (and 52’s).

Last edited:

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
“Bullets matter more than headstamps.”

“Spent primers offer the supreme tutorial”.

I’ve read it here and elsewhere online. It got my attention. I started digging and asking questions and listened.

The 77gr TMK delivered by a .223 is where I ended up after many discussions and objective data regarding bullet performance and numerous pics of field results.

Now for the delivery system. Accurate. Repeatable. Reliable. Reasonable weight to afford steady shot placement and the ability to spot my own impacts yet packable. Tikka T3x, vertical grip, Sportsmatch rings, SWFA 6x MQ in mills. Replaced the trigger spring with a yo Dave, adjusted to my liking, then degreased everything and locked all of the screws down with loctite and got started.

The package checks all of the boxes. Plus, it’s FUN! Time at the range is spent learning to call wind, trigger control, spotting your own impacts and figuring out why a shot did or did not end up where you wanted it. No brake. No flinch. Inexpensive to shoot. The fun factor plus the ability to be able to afford to shoot a lot goes a long way to learning and understanding shooting, accuracy and precision.

With all of that said, I’ve decided to use 77 TMK out of a .223 from this delivery system for bear, deer and elk this season.

Opportunity presented itself a couple of days ago. I killed a mature, dry sow with the 77 TMK. Bullet performance exceeded all expectations! The terminal performance is on par with anything I’ve seen in a .284 or .30. Unreal performance. The bullet is a BEAST!

Practice will continue throughout the summer in preparation for the upcoming deer and elk seasons.

Based on my sample of one, the 77 TMK out of a .223 is truly a lethal combination well suited to a dedicated lower 48 big game rifle.

Would love to hear about others experiences with this bullet or similar bulletts!
I’m all for shot placement argument. And don’t believe many of the old ft lb arguments that people use against smaller cartridges. What distance are you planning on being able to kill an elk at? They’re tough animals…