.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Rooggvc

WKR
Well, I did what I threatened to do back in post #2,112; just finished putting together a "Rockslide Special."

Karl at Kampfeld Customs cut the barrel to 18" and threaded it. Check out the close-ups of his work. I can't believe how tidy the blending is from the barrel to the adapter (1/2-28 to 5/8-24). He such a good guy to work with. I couldn't be happier.

The pics show the rifle mocked up/dry fit. I still need to install a 1/2" LOP spacers, attach the comb risers, then degrease, clean, and torque everything. Looking forward to getting it zeroed and shooting some drills. I got 7 cases of Hornady Frontier 68gr BTHP Match to feed this rifle, so hopefully it shoots them halfway well.
Very, Very, Jealous right now.

slowelk

WKR
Well, I did what I threatened to do back in post #2,112; just finished putting together a "Rockslide Special."

Karl at Kampfeld Customs cut the barrel to 18" and threaded it. Check out the close-ups of his work. I can't believe how tidy the blending is from the barrel to the adapter (1/2-28 to 5/8-24). He such a good guy to work with. I couldn't be happier.

The pics show the rifle mocked up/dry fit. I still need to install a 1/2" LOP spacers, attach the comb risers, then degrease, clean, and torque everything. Looking forward to getting it zeroed and shooting some drills. I got 7 cases of Hornady Frontier 68gr BTHP Match to feed this rifle, so hopefully it shoots them halfway well.

I looked at your original post (2,112), and this post. What barrel is that? That's not a factory barrel with that shoulder, unless Karl worked some magic that I'm not understanding.

Antares

WKR
I looked at your original post (2,112), and this post. What barrel is that? That's not a factory barrel with that shoulder, unless Karl worked some magic that I'm not understanding.

That is the factory barrel. Karl is a magic man. The area I have circled in red is a joint and everything forward of that is the adapted (1/2-28 to 5/8-24). I think he bead blasts everything when he's done so that the finish on the barrel and the adapter look the same. It really makes the joint disappear. He did a blended brake for my brother on his superlite and you literally cannot see the joint between the barrel and the brake.

1670450997878.png

Juan_ID

WKR

Is that a t3x compact stock? If so are you adding spacers to get it to the standard stock lop?
What did he charge for that adapter? Looks real clean

Antares

WKR
Is that a t3x compact stock? If so are you adding spacers to get it to the standard stock lop?
What did he charge for that adapter? Looks real clean

No, not a compact. It's the standard length stock. I'm tall with long arms and I set all my rifles up with a 14.5" LOP.

It was $180 for a cut, thread, adapter, and thread protector. Here's the best part, he had it turned around and back in the mail to me within 48 hours or receiving it. I couldn't believe that.

Juan_ID

WKR
No, not a compact. It's the standard length stock. I'm tall with long arms and I set all my rifles up with a 14.5" LOP.

It was $180 for a cut, thread, adapter, and thread protector. Here's the best part, he had it turned around and back in the mail to me within 48 hours or receiving it. I couldn't believe that.
That is a great price, I’m going to have mine cut again but local it’s going to cost 130+ the thread adapter that doesn’t look near that clean… 🤔

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Easy to mod a mag or use aftermarket, as for stability, it is marginal, which reduces bc
Thanks! This is the kind of info I'm looking for. I figured I'd have to use an aftermarket mag. I was mostly wondering about stability in an 8 twist tikka and on game performance at the velocities you would get out of a standard .223 case. In my use case shot distance on game would likely be less than 300 yds

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thanks! This is the kind of info I'm looking for. I figured I'd have to use an aftermarket mag. I was mostly wondering about stability in an 8 twist tikka and on game performance at the velocities you would get out of a standard .223 case. In my use case shot distance on game would likely be less than 300 yds

88’s haven’t worked for anyone I know with 1-8” 223’s. Erratic and large groups.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
10-4. So not worth my time to buy a box and try them. Of the 73/75/80 grain hornady's which would you use if you couldn't find 77 tmk's?

Firth

FNG
75 ELD will stabilize but I think the magazine would have to be modified to fit (I'd have to check again at home to be sure).

73 ELDs work at mag length. My cheap 223 practice bullet of choice is the 75 bthp.

Juan_ID

WKR
10-4. So not worth my time to buy a box and try them. Of the 73/75/80 grain hornady's which would you use if you couldn't find 77 tmk's?
I don’t have near the experience as some of the guys in this thread but in my experience only the 73s will work in the factory mag WITHOUT modification.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Yep. Got a couple of boxes of 73's. Was mainly going to use them for practice while I hoard my 77 tmk's for hunting. I thought I remember reading somewhere back in this thead that the 73's were splashy at shorter ranges. Considering the 2 bears I killed this year were at 30 and 20 yds I was wondering if there were any other option from hornady that would exhibit the same ish terminal performance as the 77 tmk's. The recent talk about the 88's just got me wondering if they were a viable option. The only reason I'm kinda hung up on hornady's is that they are usually more available in Canada. Also.. I'm not trying to pole vault over mouse turds. I just want to find the best option I can if I can't find tmk's, so I can buy as many as I can and just shoot and hunt... not having to continually dink with loads and zeroing. Thanks for all the info thus far. This thread is by far one of the most interesting and informative on the Internet I'm.

Firth

FNG
75 ELD about as deep as it can be seated without putting the ogive below the case mouth fwiw.

Attachments

• 20221207_200124.jpg
    20221207_200124.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 121

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Yep. Got a couple of boxes of 73's. Was mainly going to use them for practice while I hoard my 77 tmk's for hunting. I thought I remember reading somewhere back in this thead that the 73's were splashy at shorter ranges. Considering the 2 bears I killed this year were at 30 and 20 yds I was wondering if there were any other option from hornady that would exhibit the same ish terminal performance as the 77 tmk's. The recent talk about the 88's just got me wondering if they were a viable option. The only reason I'm kinda hung up on hornady's is that they are usually more available in Canada. Also.. I'm not trying to pole vault over mouse turds. I just want to find the best option I can if I can't find tmk's, so I can buy as many as I can and just shoot and hunt... not having to continually dink with loads and zeroing. Thanks for all the info thus far. This thread is by far one of the most interesting and informative on the Internet I'm.

73gr ELD-M and don’t worry about it.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
73gr ELD-M and don’t worry about it.
Any shot angles I would need to decline with this bullet.... I seem to shoot things head on in the chest as they look at me... never worried about it with my '06, but these bullets are pretty tiny!

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
If anyone needs 77 tmks, my local shop has a good stash. I could use some more too so if anyone wants to pay for maybe half a box for me I’ll send you however many you want on your shipping dime. Just an offer. Shop is a far drive from me so I gotta get something out of the deal lol. They were $44 a box last time if I recall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk