.223 case capacity

BLJ

WKR
Looking for something a little better than the ADI I have now. Anyone using Starline brass in there .223? Any idea of how where it’s at for capacity as well as consistency? Thanks.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
That’s actually been my preference. Just looking for some other available options. Thanks.

Axlrod

WKR
There are a couple of charts on here. One on case weight and one on capacity. It's an older article, but still useful.

amassi

WKR
There are a couple of charts on here. One on case weight and one on capacity. It's an older article, but still useful.

Great article, rip 75&80 amax

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Margoot

FNG
I have used Varget in the .223 with the longer Sierra 69 MatchKing and experienced the powder "crunching" or compression you are talking about. Seems to be common with Varget from what I have heard.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
I’ve crunched Varget and XBR. AR mag length will do that to you. 😁

Kinda brings up if it's worth the AI for it? If you have fast twist and are really pushing it, is it worth it?

Gives a little more space for the 75+ gr loads.
Of course you can get more capacity with a bigger headstamp, but it seems like a not terrible idea to me if you are intent to launch the heavier stuff.

I have been close to getting some starline as well, but been rolling over the idea of changing the chamber slightly.

Lawnboi

WKR
Wish we could get more companies to make quality 223 brass.

Until the component situation stabilizes I couldn’t see dealing with a 223 AI. Realistically gaining such a minimal amount, and having to burn a primer to do it is not appealing.

I do want a 22 creedmoor something fierce.

Wish we could get more companies to make quality 223 brass.

Until the component situation stabilizes I couldn’t see dealing with a 223 AI. Realistically gaining such a minimal amount, and having to burn a primer to do it is not appealing.

I do want a 22 creedmoor something fierce.

I figured turning the tenon too, shooting regular loads to fireform for practice, shouldn't expand the neck any, just bring the shoulder out. Then can have the throat closer too, maybe get by with standard mags?

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
@Billy Goat. I appreciate the suggestion but I’ll have to agree with @Lawnboi on this one. Rifle is a Ruger American Ranch 16” . I’m not looking to AI this one. Just trying to maximize what I have.
I’m also not one for proprietary cartridges. I like the off the gun store shelf option if I need it.

@Billy Goat. I appreciate the suggestion but I’ll have to agree with @Lawnboi on this one. Rifle is a Ruger American Ranch 16” . I’m not looking to AI this one. Just trying to maximize what I have.
I’m also not one for proprietary cartridges. I like the off the gun store shelf option if I need it.

Yeah 16" I don't think I'd do it. With 18-20" I don't think the velocity handicap would be that bad if you are using off the shelf ammo, then can have formed brass.

This is assuming you reload.

Kinda brings up if it's worth the AI for it? If you have fast twist and are really pushing it, is it worth it?

Gives a little more space for the 75+ gr loads.
Of course you can get more capacity with a bigger headstamp, but it seems like a not terrible idea to me if you are intent to launch the heavier stuff.

I have been close to getting some starline as well, but been rolling over the idea of changing the chamber slightly.

I'm not thrilled with how my factory t3x lite barrel shoots 77 TMKs and it kind of sucks with 75 ELDs. Been kicking the can on having a shorter threaded 223ai barrel chambered up for it instead. Longer throat + more capacity should allow a guy to push em about the same speeds as the factory 22.x tikka barrel if I go 19" or so on the barrel for use with a can. Plus you could do a 7.5 twist and also shoot berger 85.5 LRBT w/ .524 bc.

I'm not so worried about brass in a 223. If i'm just practicing and plinking with it for the most part anyway I see no waste in the fireforming process.

I'm not thrilled with how my factory t3x lite barrel shoots 77 TMKs and it kind of sucks with 75 ELDs. Been kicking the can on having a shorter threaded 223ai barrel chambered up for it instead. Longer throat + more capacity should allow a guy to push em about the same speeds as the factory 22.x tikka barrel if I go 19" or so on the barrel for use with a can. Plus you could do a 7.5 twist and also shoot berger 85.5 LRBT w/ .524 bc.

I'm not so worried about brass in a 223. If i'm just practicing and plinking with it for the most part anyway I see no waste in the fireforming process.

I agree, don't see fireforming as a waste.

Haven't determined how mine will shoot yet, taking longer than I expected to get rings in for it. I was fortunate in that a good friend is sending me some TMK's to try in it. Still no XBR, but I have TAC that I'll try.

Interested to see how such a highly talked up gun shoots, did figure worst case its not too difficult to rebarrel.

Looking for something a little better than the ADI I have now. Anyone using Starline brass in there .223? Any idea of how where it’s at for capacity as well as consistency? Thanks.
This is all you need regarding Starline case capacity. Johnny Reloading Bench covers it!

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
@BLJ what aspect of the ADI brass are you looking to improve on?

Initially under the assumption that there would have to be something better than the ADI based on the price of the loaded ammo it comes with. As well as more case capacity. I have to load to AR mag length and I was looking to be able to put the most powder in there that I could and not be to long. Maybe not the case after looking around a little bit.
Maybe I need to get more consistent with my prep and see what happens there.
And I’ll admit, I am on a very novice level with all of this. Thanks.

Initially under the assumption that there would have to be something better than the ADI based on the price of the loaded ammo it comes with. As well as more case capacity. I have to load to AR mag length and I was looking to be able to put the most powder in there that I could and not be to long. Maybe not the case after looking around a little bit.
Maybe I need to get more consistent with my prep and see what happens there.
And I’ll admit, I am on a very novice level with all of this. Thanks.

I'm no 223 expert but from what i've seen they can be difficult to get the type of consistency as some of the larger cartridges especially in relation to velocity.