.223 case capacity

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
I don’t remember what my SD’s are but they weren’t bad. Just trying to improve on what I have. Thanks.

Lawnboi

WKR
I haven't yet. I could probably do a ADI vs Lapua comparison in the next month or so. That would be interesting. I kind of doubt i'd shoot a difference but cant say for sure.
Where did you get the adi? Found some 55 BK cheap and thinking of trying some. Thinking it’s the same place but want to confirm

I need some brass I’m not afraid to lose that’s decent. I gave up on mixed lot Hornady and anything else with a crimped primer pocket

Where did you get the adi? Found some 55 BK cheap and thinking of trying some. Thinking it’s the same place but want to confirm

I need some brass I’m not afraid to lose that’s decent. I gave up on mixed lot Hornady and anything else with a crimped primer pocket

Global ordnance is where I've always ordered it. A few years ago they used to always have BOGO deals for 200 round cases for Australian outback (by ADI) and now it's just packaged as ADI but its been selling for cheap again lately.

I haven't exhausted my Aussie Outback 55 SBK stash yet to break into the ADI labeled SBK but my Tikka did not play nice with the new ADI 69 SMK recently which is a bummer. It does like those Aussie blitz king loads though!

Buddy of mine shoots a few thousand blitzkings at prairie dogs every year and he said he gets almost the same performance from the ADI as his handloads. @$0.60/ea its hard to spend the time at the bench instead and he's a big fan of the brass too.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Global ordnance is where I've always ordered it. A few years ago they used to always have BOGO deals for 200 round cases for Australian outback (by ADI) and now it's just packaged as ADI but its been selling for cheap again lately.

I haven't exhausted my Aussie Outback 55 SBK stash yet to break into the ADI labeled SBK but my Tikka did not play nice with the new ADI 69 SMK recently which is a bummer. It does like those Aussie blitz king loads though!

Buddy of mine shoots a few thousand blitzkings at prairie dogs every year and he said he gets almost the same performance from the ADI as his handloads. @$0.60/ea its hard to spend the time at the bench instead and he's a big fan of the brass too.
I’ll give some a go, the 55s. Loaded 55s in a buddies tikka and they hammer.

Lawnboi

WKR
@BLJ

223 can be tough to load consistently, as in getting loads with low sd and es. Small case and loose factory chambers seem to do that.

Iv been able to squeeze more consistency out of it with Lapua, and a scale that resolves down to .02 grains, but by how much? I don’t know. I treat my 223 like a sub 400 yard cartridge where I could care less if I have a single digit SD or not.

Maybe the next barrel will be different.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
@BLJ

223 can be tough to load consistently, as in getting loads with low sd and es. Small case and loose factory chambers seem to do that.

Iv been able to squeeze more consistency out of it with Lapua, and a scale that resolves down to .02 grains, but by how much? I don’t know. I treat my 223 like a sub 400 yard cartridge where I could care less if I have a single digit SD or not.

Maybe the next barrel will be different.

I think you and @wind gypsy are pointing out that there may only be so much to work with. In reality I’m probably looking for something that’s not worth looking for even if there was a possibility of finding it. 😁
With the loads I’m shootings now it’s a 400 yard gun like you.
Dare I say it, but it may be good enough.

anyone use lake city brass?
Got a couple thousand pieces still but it's all mixed year from fired range pickup that I had to sort. Used to be easy to find 1000 count that had been deprimed and sized for $100. It's typically what I used in my ARs and have made some accurate ammo from it. I've got enough Lapua and ADI that isn't unknown origin range pickup brass now so the LC stuff doesn't get used much anymore.

haeffnkr

Lil-Rokslider
Got a couple thousand pieces still but it's all mixed year from fired range pickup that I had to sort. Used to be easy to find 1000 count that had been deprimed and sized for $100. It's typically what I used in my ARs and have made some accurate ammo from it. I've got enough Lapua and ADI that isn't unknown origin range pickup brass now so the LC stuff doesn't get used much anymore.
Does the Lapua shoot any better than the LC?

Does the Lapua shoot any better than the LC?

I haven’t shot hardly any LC in the bolt gun and it’s been a while but I don’t remember any obvious differences between them. I had a 20” heavier barrel AR that shot great with LC.

I noticed the headstamps on the new ADI ammo i have was different from the old ADI "australian outback" that's been great so i did a quick and dirty case weight comparison, roughly 15 ea of new ADI, old ADI, and Lapua. The AO "old" brass had the ADI on the top of headstamp, cartridge name on the bottom. The new stuff has cartridge on top of headstamp.

total spread for old ADI was 0.56 grain (avg around 93.6), new ADI was 2.58 grains (avg around 93, outliers were typically lower), and lapua was 1.66 grains (avg around 97.2). The lapua brass had just been deprimed and not tumbled so there might be slight variances from residue on them.

Very impressive measurables on the old ADI stuff which jives with my buddy who's been reloading it for a few years now and raves about it.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
I noticed the headstamps on the new ADI ammo i have was different from the old ADI "australian outback" that's been great so i did a quick and dirty case weight comparison, roughly 15 ea of new ADI, old ADI, and Lapua. The AO "old" brass had the ADI on the top of headstamp, cartridge name on the bottom. The new stuff has cartridge on top of headstamp.

total spread for old ADI was 0.56 grain (avg around 93.6), new ADI was 2.58 grains (avg around 93, outliers were typically lower), and lapua was 1.66 grains (avg around 97.2). The lapua brass had just been deprimed and not tumbled so there might be slight variances from residue on them.

Very impressive measurables on the old ADI stuff which jives with my buddy who's been reloading it for a few years now and raves about it.

That’s pretty substantial between old and new.