222 mag

adavy

FNG
I'm developing a load for a sako 222 mag. I tried every variation of 55 grain varmageddon bullets with H4895 but could not get the results I was hoping. Ran into a guy a while ago who by chance had the same rifle that said he put a piece of tape between the barrel and stock that fixed his problems. Wondering if that should be my next move or dropping to 50 grain bullets would be better suited for that caliber. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

DaveCB

FNG
I shoot the lighter bullet 45gr Vmax and a load of IMR3031, win small rifle primers.
I have shimmed thin tapered rifle Barrells with Tape. It helped on a 243win I had.
You could bed the barrel 3 to 4" in front of the receiver. Sometimes that works.
I had issues with other powders I tried till I dropped the magnum primers. H4895 may not give you enough pressure on heavier bullets. What barrel length and twist?
I'm thinking 1:14 26"
If you haven't done so I would go over the action screws and make sure there tight around 35in pounds of torque. make sure you tighten them even. go over the scope screws as well.

Last edited:

49ereric

WKR
I have read where a rubber washer has been used under the forearm.
piece of an old inter tube has been used as well.
my 22-250 gas a small rectangular bedding under the forearm only.

OP
A

adavy

FNG
It's a 1:14 with a 24 inch barrel. Good ideas, thank you very much. I did go over all the screws in the beginning so I should be good there. Since I recently picked up some 50 grain bullets I figure I'll try a few tests with those to see how it reacts. Then switch the primers and if no luck start shimming the barrel. I'd like to make the H4895 work since I have quite a bit and no 3031, but if it doesn't work, there's no changing it and will move on. Thks again

49ereric

WKR
find a bullet the barrel likes but you might have to purchase several different brands of 50 grainers. Then you will have a much better chance of using the powder you have in theory.

OP
A

adavy

FNG
find a bullet the barrel likes but you might have to purchase several different brands of 50 grainers. Then you will have a much better chance of using the powder you have in theory.
Sounds good, if it doesn't like this brand I'll reach out to some friends and get some sample packs of different brands. I liked your mention of a piece of inter tube, curious to try that if need be.

Axlrod

WKR
Probably doesn't like those bullets.
Just my totally unscientific, going off memory from the last 30+ years loading for several dozen varmint rifles. The best shooting varmint bullets are:
Berger
Sierra
Hornady
Nosler
In that order. You can flip the top 2 sometimes and throw a Hornady in the top every so often, but Noslers are last more times than not.

49ereric

WKR
rubberized cork in a .22 not sure it help as it was never a tack driver.IMG_7345.jpeg