22 pistols

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I enjoy plinking with my 22/45 and have shot grouse with it but if being honest I am better with a longer sight radius. I opted to make a folding stock for a 16” savage rascal which with cci quiet is like an air rifle sound and kills grouse better than my current pistol skills.

But if set on a pistol the 22/45 with some volquartsen tweaks is a nice shooter.
Here is that rascal. Not perfect by any means but usable for me, I was able to fill a grouse limit moderately easily one day with it.
RrGlfxKl.jpg

PdIWxqTl.jpg

I want to put together a nice 22lr semi auto pistol for plinking and shooting small game. I want to shoot suppressed with a RMR.

I’ve been using a Ruger lcrx revolver for awhile but my recent acquisition of a tactical solutions 10/22 makes me think there must be something just as good for the pistols out there.

Where should I start looking? What companies make these or make uppers etc for them? Should I buy a Ruger MKIV and add to it? Or does some company sell complete pistols?

I’d like to keep the barrel to 4” or so since I’ll be putting my silencer on it, it like it to be as reliable as possible, I’d like to keep the cost under 2k.

Main uses will be grouse and ptarmigan with a healthy amount of backyard plinking.

What are my options? Any pics are greatly appreciated.
Following.

B23

WKR
I've got two Ruger Mk III 22's one is a SS Ruger Mk III target the other is a Mk III 22/45 Lite and the third is a M&P 22 Compact. I put VQ triggers in both of the Ruger's and they're all a lot of fun to shoot and the VQ triggers were a nice improvement, but, my favorite to shoot, suppressed or bare, is the M&P 22 Compact. My Ruger Mk III SS Target with all different ammo types is probably the most accurate of my three but I actually enjoy shooting it the least but mostly because it's a lot heavier, probably why I can shoot it the best, and it doesn't have a threaded barrel so can't shoot it with a suppressor. My 22/45 Lite is fun to shoot but of the three I have if I could only keep one it would be the M&P 22 Compact.

All three have pretty much run everything through them from cheap Rem Golden Bullet ammo to more expensive target ammo and it all has cycled without a problem. The only thing that won't cycle the bolt in any of mine is some of the low velocity "Quiet" ammo.

MtnW

WKR
FN 502 would be a good choice, and have an option for a like pistol in 9MM or 10MM

SloppyJ

WKR
Hear me out.... Taurus TX22 competition. Optics ready and the way the red dot is on the barrel and doesn't move is actually beneficial and not a gimmick.

I've been through quite a few 22s in the quest for ultimate suppressed 22 plinker. This is the way. I felt weird buying it but it's been the best 22 pistol I've owned. So good that 2 of my buddies bought the same setup, including the suppressor.

No problem hitting full sized steel at 100yds.1000002372.jpg

I’ve had the Buckmark, Sig P322, Glock 44, and a couple Ruger MKIV’s. All suppressed.

Buckmark had the best factory trigger, but the takedown method with bolts wasn’t my favorite in the field. P322 was fun until light primer strikes started. G44 had the worst suppressor gas to face blowback I’ve experienced with any .22 host due to the slide design. Wife and kids hated it.

I started with and came full circle again having arrived at the Ruger MKIV variants. Tons of aftermarket, they’ve run anything I’ve fed them, and by far the easiest takedown and cleaning.

MKIV tactical suppressed is always the favorite when taking new shooters out and it follows us on the trapline every winter.

Matt5266

WKR
I've owned several Taurus tx22s and not long ago bought the gen 2 when they had the magazine rebate giving you 3 more mags..shot them all mostly supressed. I was super shocked by accuracy and reliability. As far as 22s go it is definitely the best bang for your buck I'm my eyes. Just my 2 cents.

Maverick1

WKR
I want to put together a nice 22lr semi auto pistol for plinking and shooting small game. I want to shoot suppressed with a RMR.

I’ve been using a Ruger lcrx revolver for awhile but my recent acquisition of a tactical solutions 10/22 makes me think there must be something just as good for the pistols out there.

Where should I start looking? What companies make these or make uppers etc for them? Should I buy a Ruger MKIV and add to it? Or does some company sell complete pistols?

I’d like to keep the barrel to 4” or so since I’ll be putting my silencer on it, it like it to be as reliable as possible, I’d like to keep the cost under 2k.

Main uses will be grouse and ptarmigan with a healthy amount of backyard plinking.

What are my options? Any pics are greatly appreciated.
Ruger 10/22 charger. Folding stock, binary trigger, stock capable of holding can. Look up the couple of videos on YT from the 22 plinkster.

There is no art with my MKIV, I push a button and the upper separates from the lower, pull the BCG out and your disassembled.

I will admit, that Ruger is mighty proud of their pistol, it cost me more than any of my other pistols.

You are right. I was thinking about the Mk II and Mk III. It looks as if that is something that Ruger made significant changes to on the Mk IV.

Rolltide

FNG
The Ruger MK IV is hard to beat.

I will add though, that I picked up a Kel-Tec P17 solely to show my Facebook group that they suck...

I was wrong. That little pistol carries so easily and is perfect shooting suppressed.

I'm tempted to pick up one of the newer ones with a red dot.

YMMV

Last edited: