2024 Moose hunt with Tahltan Outfitters

you guys geared up and ready?
Got my freezer & generator last month. Got my bed extension to box in the area with my tailgate town. Most of my gear is organized and stored in dry bags. Just gotta wash everything and re-pack in when I get home. I travel for work and I gotta take a week off before I leave to get everything ready and do some shooting. Man I can’t wait!!!!!

HBartley

FNG
That's awesome! Im packing and getting geared up. Also going to wash everything one last time. Do you think the mosquitos and gnats will be bad in early September? Im taking deet but thinking about treating our gear with permethrin also. I decided to drive my truck instead of RV and Im stopping to visit an old marine buddy of mine in spirit lake ID for a couple days to do some fishing before heading on up. Im taking a couple coolers instead of freezer. Are you getting your meat processed before your drive home?

That's awesome! Im packing and getting geared up. Also going to wash everything one last time. Do you think the mosquitos and gnats will be bad in early September? Im taking deet but thinking about treating our gear with permethrin also. I decided to drive my truck instead of RV and Im stopping to visit an old marine buddy of mine in spirit lake ID for a couple days to do some fishing before heading on up. Im taking a couple coolers instead of freezer. Are you getting your meat processed before your drive home?
No, I bought a chest freezer with a fridge setting. I’ll just chill it for the drive then process at home, vacuum seal & freeze then. I chose that over coolers because I wanna keep the meat dry and not laying in ice water for 3-4 days. I can make good time with my setup in my truck, but it’s still a long ways. You probably have to worry about the bugs more than I will. But it’s not like they have a ton of ticks, or chiggers up there. I hiked 100 miles in southern BC in April & May, got one tick. Probably wouldn’t hurt to spray pant legs though. What are you packing for a weapon? I’m taking my REM 700/300 win mag & 180 grain tsx bullets.

HBartley

FNG
Noted. I’m taking a 300 PRC I’m shooting 245 grain Berger and driving tacks at 500 yards. It’s a hammer for sure. I like the deep freezer fridge setting. Might look into that

Stew

Lil-Rokslider
Mine is driving up with me, we’re spending a week hiking around the Golden/Jasper/Banff area. Then she is flying out of Calgary and I’m going on to Dease lake. I gotta take her by the Ammolite shop in Banff and spend a little on a new Ammolite piece while we’re there. Small price to pay for getting full support on the hunt of my dreams though. Lol
Just a heads up about Jasper area its on fire right now town is evacuated

Just a heads up about Jasper area its on fire right now town is evacuated
Yea I’ve been watching it and forming a back up plan for the days we were gonna spend in Jasper. Thinking maybe a couple days of camping on the very upper end of the elk river. I tried to get up there in May when I was working up there but hit snow. Maybe re-route my drive through Kamloops….

OP
Ironmerganser
31 days until we leave. We are planning to start out early Sept 22nd and have 500-600 mi days until we get to Dease Lake on Sept 25th. Then fly out Sept 26th.
We will be hauling up a freezer also. To say we are excited is an understatement.
We are watching that fire in Jasper also. I hope they have the road open in 30 days.

Send an update when you are back! Excited to hear a report!

HBartley

FNG
31 days until we leave. We are planning to start out early Sept 22nd and have 500-600 mi days until we get to Dease Lake on Sept 25th. Then fly out Sept 26th.
We will be hauling up a freezer also. To say we are excited is an understatement.
We are watching that fire in Jasper also. I hope they have the road open in 30 days.

Send an update when you are back! Excited to hear a report!
Will do! Im heading out Saturday morning. I just shot my rifle out to 500 yards again one last time, about to clean it and finish loading the wagon and I'll be ready to roll!