2024 Dall Sheep / Caribou hunt - Alaska

SteveSacs

FNG
Hey Guys,

Just registered after being on the sidelines for the last year or so. I have become obsessed with reading and watching videos on sheep hunting and am deciding to pull the trigger for my 40th birthday in 2024. It seems like its just far out where there are still some availabilities but also that some guys are booking out through 2025.

I'm sure this has been asked 1,000x here before. But just looking for some guides / Outfitters that people have used that they could recommend. I've reached out to a bunch, but this is obviously a very big investment and want to do my homework and talk to / shake as many hands as I can. Ive read some incredible threads on here and decided it was time to take the plunge.

Thanks in advance all

Steve Sacs

I assume Dalls sheep?

I would research areas first before settling on outfitter. Sheep numbers are down, and even an excellent registered guide may not have legal animals to hunt.

I would look in the NWT Canada if you can afford it…

Now Desert Bighorn in Mexico are doing well

If you go to Alaska, only hunt with a guy that has a concession. Too much money to risk not doing that.

I hunted with Aaron Bloomquist and Alaska Outfitters Unlimited and would recommend the outfit for a combo. Lots of other good concession options. And this has been hashed out a lot on here.

NWT and Canada is a better option but came at a premium I couldn't make happen.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Highly recommend you look at Northwest Territories or Yukon:

If I were booking that hunt I would call Gana River Outfitters, Arctic Red River Outfitters, and Raven's Throat Outfitters

Something to think about if you have a choice of dates, during the later hunts (early to mid Sept) the hair on the sheep will be longer and the caribou will have hard horns and white manes (and you will also be able to have a moose tag if you want one). Early season the caribou will be in velvet and rams will have shorter coats.

Last edited:
Another note adding a caribou on will limit your options. I would focus on sheep only at this point. Once again if set on combo, then NWT is your best option by far.

Especially one with a Helicopter so you can change areas. Look at the Lancaster’s Clay or Jim

VernAK

WKR
I'd suggest waiting to book until next summer as Alaska and Yukon are both having a very tough winter. Let F&G do the population surveys in June before booking. I hope it's not as bad as I think it is.

Ouch. Just realized 2024 will be my season of the 40th birthday. Good thing I got a sheep at 29, because there are very few to find now.

I went to the NWT and hunted with Raven's Throat last August for a Sheep/Caribou combo. I highly recommend.

Definitely do your homework for Alaska. Or spend more for Canada.

cjc5062

FNG
I booked with Raven's Throat Outfitters for a sheep/caribou combo hunt for 2026. They were just about booked up through 2025 already and I wanted to make sure I got the dates I wanted.

Grizz and Ginger are incredible, very responsive and just super friendly to deal with. Didn't get that from any of the other outfitters I talked to up in the NWT. Ginger answered every question I had and was always quick to respond. Grizz even called and spoke with me for 30+ minutes on a sat phone while he was in the mountains to give me more details and recommendations.

I would def give these guys a look, as they came highly recommended from numerous people I spoke with.

DHoover

FNG
I as well as several others on here including Nick, Jordan, and marine4life all went with Luke Tyrrell recently. I went in 21 and got a great caribou and ram on the second hunt. Luke runs a good family operation in the Brooks and I could not be happier with my hunt. I am going back in 2023 for moose and grizzly. There are several write ups on various threads here about our hunts. Luke's outfit is also the one on the raffle ticket listed above.

JLMUELZ

FNG
I as well as several others on here including Nick, Jordan, and marine4life all went with Luke Tyrrell recently. I went in 21 and got a great caribou and ram on the second hunt. Luke runs a good family operation in the Brooks and I could not be happier with my hunt. I am going back in 2023 for moose and grizzly. There are several write ups on various threads here about our hunts. Luke's outfit is also the one on the raffle ticket listed above.
I am booked with him for sheep this August and cant believe how fast it is approaching.

SSawyer

FNG
Hey Guys,

Just registered after being on the sidelines for the last year or so. I have become obsessed with reading and watching videos on sheep hunting and am deciding to pull the trigger for my 40th birthday in 2024. It seems like its just far out where there are still some availabilities but also that some guys are booking out through 2025.

I'm sure this has been asked 1,000x here before. But just looking for some guides / Outfitters that people have used that they could recommend. I've reached out to a bunch, but this is obviously a very big investment and want to do my homework and talk to / shake as many hands as I can. Ive read some incredible threads on here and decided it was time to take the plunge.

Thanks in advance all

Steve Sacs
I am returning from NWT dall sheep hunt. Did not disappoint. Expensive, but you will get your money’s worth. It pays for all the details that really make a difference. 8 hunters. 8 sheep!