2024 Cold Bore Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Rokslide.png

Welcome to the 2nd annual Rokslide Cold Bore Challenge

This challenge is designed to test your realistic Maximum Effective Range. The Challenge will start Saturday, June 1st at 8:00 am MTN time on this thread.

You shoot one shot each day of the challenge with no warm-up or follow-up shots and no practice between days. This is the Cold Bore Challenge. We want it to simulate what you experience when hunting for your BOAL.

We are limiting the challenge to the first 100 qualified participants.

Below are the rules. READ THEM ALL, OR DON'T PARTICIPATE.

We delete ineligible posts without notice. If you have questions or comments, post those on the Q&A thread here so this thread stays clean.

This year, we are requiring video of all shots. See rule 10 below.

1) Start a post in this thread (one post per shooter) on your first shooting day. You can’t reserve a post slot unless you’ve shot and posted a video. You don't have to start on day one, but you do have to be done by July 7th to qualify for prizes. That gives everyone six weekends to complete the challenge.

2) Call the range you think is your REALISTIC maximum effective range (MER). You must shoot your personal MER, so if it’s 600 yards, you can’t shoot 100 yards because that's all you have at your range!
Minimum range for this challenge will be 400 yards. Push yourself a bit and make an effort--that's the spirit of the challenge.

3) With no warm-up shots, shoot one cold bore shot each day of the challenge at your MER. You do not have to shoot two days consecutively, but there is NO PRACTICE between shooting days.

4) Post a video of your bullet hitting the target. Target size is set at a 10” circle. If your target is bigger than that, paint or mark the 10” diameter so you know whether you’re in the vitals. It's a two-day/two-shot challenge, so post a video each day in your original post, so both shots appear in one post. (Just use the "edit" button—bottom of your post on full-site, or if on Tapa Talk, hold your finger on your post for a few seconds to see the Edit option)

5) If you believe your MER is over 600 yards, you will need to qualify to shoot farther by first hitting the target between 575 and 625 yards per the rules above both times. If you are able to hit both of the first two shots, you get to move out to your MER beyond 600 and shoot two additional days at that range. The same rules apply here as in rules 3 and 4 above.

6) Be sure and mention the conditions like wind direction and speed. And give us a quick summary of your equipment. This is a gear site; we all want to know what our buddies are shooting.

7) To qualify, you must be a member posting on your own account. If you want your kids to shoot, they must post on their own accounts. (Sorry, just too messy for the judges to figure out what’s going on.)

8) We reserve the right to change or adjust the rules as necessary to achieve this challenge's intent. Remember, this is not a shooting contest. It’s a challenge to determine your MER with your hunting rifle and hunting gear.

9) The gear rules will be as simple as possible. You must shoot your big game hunting rifle with the gear you hunt with. That means no benches or Lead Sleds. Tripods, bipods, rear bags, and the like are allowed if that's how you hunt.

10) ***New Rule*** All shots must be on video, and videos must have Rokslide Cold Bore Challenge in their title.

How Points are Counted:

--Every qualified participant who shoots and posts videos of their two shots gets one entry.

--Every qualified participant who claims an MER beyond 600 yards, hits their first two shots (between 575 and 625), and completes the two additional shots at their MER beyond 600 yards will get an extra entry. Hitting the farther target is not required for the extra entry. If you miss one of your first two shots, you won't be eligible to shoot the farther MER, but you'll still get one entry like everyone else.

--For every member with at least 300 posts (on the day we qualify you), we'll double your entries.--it pays to be an active member!

--So, sub-600-yard MER gets 1 point. Two sub-600-yard hits AND two over-600-yard shots will get you 2 points.
Member with more than 300 posts, gets to double above points, so could have up to 4 points.

This is not a competition, but because we're generous and have some great sponsors, we’ll be DRAWING for killer prizes for our qualifying members (Rokslide staff and family members can shoot but can't win the prizes)

Our staff will watch the thread to ensure entry rules are followed. If you don’t fix your post in a reasonable amount of time, we’ll delete it (sorry, we don’t have time to chase!)

We will draw from those who complete the challenge according to the rules posted above.

(You can view last year's challenge here)

Below are the prizes we'll draw for from the final qualified shooters. Thanks to these generous sponsors:

Swarovski has once again put up an ATC Spotting Scope!
Swaro ATC.png

Peax has put up SIX Backcountry Duo Headlamps for you guys!
Peax.jpg

Phone Skope once again is giving away a digiscoping kit!
Phoneskope.jpg

Kifaru is giving one lucky winner a Wind River Jacket!WindRiverJacket_AronSnyder.jpg

Black Ovis is giving away a Plateau Tripod!

blackovis-plateau-.jpg

Outdoorsmans is giving away a Tripod!
Outdoorsmans.jpg

Stocky's is giving away a stock!
Stocky's.jpg

Rokslide and Shoot 2 Hunt are giving away a Rokstok!
Rokstok.jpg

XLR Industries is offering a $750 voucher toward a chassis order
Screenshot 2024-06-07 113454.png

Attachments

• 1717780831271.png
    1717780831271.png
    890.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:

eric1115

WKR
It's done! 2/2 at 595, 2/2 at 720 on an 8" plate. Good center hits for the first two, marginal second two.

I'm calling my MER at 700 this year.

595 yard first round hit.
8" plate (still waiting on my 10" to arrive). Like an idiot I didn't have a can of spray paint in the truck so there's one splash mark on the target from a previous day. All around poor showing on the target side.

Tikka .243AI, 106TAP at 3050
Bushnell LRHS 3-12
AB Raptor 6
Factory stock until Jake gets his poop in a group and gets my rokstok shipped out 😘
Shot off pack, with a light rear bag.

Couldn't ask for a nicer morning to shoot. Super light breeze, I don't think it was more than 2 mph. No correction held for wind. Shot was taken at 8x magnification.

Shot number 1

Shot number 2, pretty much same conditions as yesterday.

Shot number 3, hit at 720. Still just the 8" plate, but I let fear get the better of me and hung a piece of cardboard with a 10" circle behind.

Prone off the pack again, but sort of a high prone to get above some vegetation.

My son @Bridger1115 came along and shot his first shot today, that's the high right hole.

The change from the braked 7mmRM to the suppressed .243AI has been an absolute success. Going in I had fears of lower BC/racing cartridges on paper, but there's zero question in my mind that this change has improved my ability to hit at long range.

It's done! Second shot at 720 was a hit. (Final photo includes my son's two shots as well at 1:00 on the target).

Thanks again to everyone who put in the work to make this such a great way to get a real gut check on our ability to put one bullet where it needs to go, right now.

My takeaway, if I'm marginal like this in essentially no-wind condition, I need to be very realistic about my ability to hit in the wind. This has been borne out in this spring's practice. We've had a windy (for here) spring, and I've done more shooting in 15-25 mph wind at 500-900 than I've ever done (intentionally going on windy days). I'm calling my MER at 500 if wind is over 8-10 mph. 400 if it's in the 20+ range.

Attachments

• PXL_20240601_124540903.jpg
    PXL_20240601_124540903.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 117
  • PXL_20240601_124531140.jpg
    PXL_20240601_124531140.jpg
    481.5 KB · Views: 115
  • PXL_20240601_123836456.jpg
    PXL_20240601_123836456.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 113
  • PXL_20240608_132922675~2.jpg
    PXL_20240608_132922675~2.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 47
  • PXL_20240608_134207211.jpg
    PXL_20240608_134207211.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 49
  • PXL_20240609_132813791.jpg
    PXL_20240609_132813791.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Today was a little windy but I was able to take a shot between major gusts.
Calling a MER of 625
Todays shot was 592
Remington 700 300wsm
Vortex 4-16 HSLR
Stockys Stock
Wind at me from about 2 O’clock gusting 10-15mph

Day two. Hit. Forgot if I was doing the cold bow or cold bore in the intro….Wind left to right 5-7mphish. Held plate left and sent it. I will get the plate more in the open for the next two shots. Farmer worked the field so I didn’t drive into where I wanted. Carried it in and set it where I thought would work. Initially didn’t realize the trees were so tight. Next couple shots will be open.

Day 3. Just missed left. Wind calls are my downfall. Wind gusted a bit as I was settling in and I held a hair more. One more chance to get the call right. 3 shots in this location and the wind has been different each time.

Day 4. I suck. I really need to get a kestrel or something to read wind speed. Weather said 15-20. It was definitely more. Ballistic app had my hold for 18mph full value and it was close but missed right. 20-25 would have had me on the plate. Thanks to the mods and donators for this event. I am very confident in 400-500 yard shots and this challenge pushes me to stretch it. I also found that my first two shots were fired first thing in the morning, with minimal wind. These last two were mid day and the wind is rolling. More practice in my future and hopefully do the challenge next year with the 260rem I’m working on.

Attachments

• IMG_5405.jpeg
    IMG_5405.jpeg
    524.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Geewhiz

WKR
MER 700

338 RUM
Lilja
TBAC
NXS
300 berger EH

610 yd qualifier shot #1. Not a great opening act but without having checked the target up close I’m calling it a hit. Edit: impact was about 1/2” inside the edge of the circle.

610 yd qualifier shot #2. Disregard the existing hit on the plate, somebody else shot it after I painted it. Hard to see but my impact was right next to his. Will be moving to 700ish for the next 2.

Shot 3 ended up being 691 yds. 🤘

Shot 4 was a miss, about 1.5” outside of the circle. Still pretty happy beings as I knew 700 was a bit of a stretch this year.

Here are my impacts on shots 3 and 4.
1719577739718.jpeg

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
My max effective range this year is 660 yards.

Qualifying shot was 625 yards.

Conditions…

First light
Winds light and variable, no wind hold
50 degrees
Sunny

Set up…

Tikka T3 chambered in the best 7, the SAUM
20” CF BARREL
AG COMPOSITE ALPINE HUNTER
180 ELDM handloads at 2725fps
Spartan bipod
Rear bag
vortex LHT 3-15x42

Target has an 8” circle for deer and antelope. 1/2” outside 8” circle, within 10” circle.

Day 2

75 degrees
10mph wind coming from 8 o'clock
Made a good shot, 3" right and 2" low of bullseye at 624 yards

Day 3. Original MER was 775 but the wind this year has been brutal. Rather than wait it out I figured I’d come up with a MER that matched the conditions I’m seeing more often than not and send it!

We went camping and got the whole family out shooting. It was nice being able to leave the target up and not haul that heavy sucker back and forth!

Mid day
70 degrees
Wind coming in HOT from 3 o clock. 15-18mph
Target is getting a little muddy but hit low/right. Based on conditions I’m happy with shot.

Day 4
75 degrees
Wind 20-22mph from 4/5 o clock.
I held same wind both days and hit 4” left of bullseye. I’ve always been scared of shooting wind but this gave me a lot of confidence.

Last edited:

CM

WKR
I am going for a MER of 800 yards, so I will try to qualify at 600 yards.

Equipment: Semi-Custom 7 SAUM, Tikka Action, 24" Proof Barrel, Allterra Carbon Hunter Stock, built by Justin (@buckman300 ) at Wilderness Custom Rifles (https://wildernesscustomrifles.com/). Nightforce NX-8 4-32x50, Holland Level, Sportsmatch Rings, Hatch bipod. Shooting 180 grain ELD-Ms with 63.8 grains of H1000 in ADG brass at 2940 FPS. Using an Outdoor Research zip sack with a jacket in it as a rear rest.
gun.JPG

Day 1: 600 yards: there was a bit of wind right to left, I held about a minute.
day1.JPG

Day 2: 600 yards. It was very calm this morning, so I dialed 10.25 MOA and held dead center. The impact was just a couple inches low of center. I will move on to 800!

day2.JPG

Day 3: 800 yards. It was a bit breezy, left to right. I held on the left edge of the orange circle. Nailed it!

day3.JPG

Day 4: 800 yards. There was 3-5mph wind where I was from right to left, and it looked constant so I held on the right edge of the orange circle. Also the magpie landing on the target distracted me, generally when a magpie lands on a gong, you shoot at the magpie, but I sent it at the target and rushed the shot a little. I shanked it. I'm not sure if it was me rushing or a bad wind call or a bit of both.
day4.JPG

Last edited:

Macintosh

WKR
Im calling my max effective range of 430 yards, because thats the longest place I can find to shoot. So I've made it a little harder by using an 8” plate instead of 10”. 1st round hit was at 400, as I had some vegetation issues at first and had to move the target. I managed to clear away the offending vegetation afterward so next shot will be at the full 430 from the original location, and I plan to use a different position.

tikka t3x lite (factory) 6.5cm, S&B 3-12, alterra stock, shooting factory Hornady american gunner ammo. Filmed on 2 phones and my homemade digiscoping thingy that doesnt work great.

Day 1:
Very slight breeze from 2:00, held just a tiny smidge off center, should have held dead center. Tried to simulate a “walked up” shot so everything was ranged, dialed, got in position, etc as I would hunt, the only pre-setup was the cameras and target.

Gorgeous morning, we dont get em like this too often. Saw a ton of birds, some ducks, a beaver, and a bunch of black flies. Hope you enjoy the shot and a few scenes from getting to the location, which is about a mile hike to get to a big beaver meadow and pond.
The short version
The (too) long version

Day 2:
wife was away, next few weekends are booked, so I got up early and drove down to shoot before work this morning. Temp in the high 40's, another gorgeous morning, humid but dead calm. I swear, the weather is usually much crappier around here, really!

430 yards, 8" plate. Target was walked up with pack on, gun slung, etc, ranged, setup and shoot all "on the clock". Today I shot sitting with the gun resting on a fallen log that I propped up, and my pack supporting the butt. I missed. Impact was just barely off the top left edge of the plate, might have been on a 10" plate, but it sure missed this one. I sent another 2 for good measure...aaaaaand, I missed them too. Based on video I'm fairly certain my dope and L/R was good, I just had too much wobble to keep inside a 2moa circle

my takeaways:
1) shooting from any position other than prone is a lot harder, even taking your time. Double harder for me to put any sort of rush on it. I feel like this is a shot I can make prone with a very high hit rate, but if prone isnt possible all bets are off. I usually do pretty well on the 3moa sitting/supported stage of the form hunting drill, but 2moa from that position is, well, 30+% smaller and a lot harder for me.
2) I think the best thing I can do to improve my MER is not to shoot at long range, its to shoot positional drills at 100 yards, and really focus on tightening my cold-shot groups and being more consistent building my positions more solidly.
3) really appreciate the crew that put this together, it's motivating and helpful.

Last edited:

TX_Diver

WKR
MER is around 400 yards. I can get get 415 yards here so I shot that today.

There's a decent rock pile of large (12-24 inch) rocks off the driveway for who knows what reason.
7P7xqjah.jpg

Shooting a T3x with a OEM stock with vertical grip. .223 1:8 twist cut to ~18" w/ an Omega 300. 1x LC brass with 75 ELD-M over 24.3gr N140 (2608fps). SWFA fixed 6x scope. I have 2 more rounds of this load left then I'm going to start shooting the 77TMKs. Dialed 2.2 mils for 415 yards.

Day 1

Steady rain so I don't have pics of my setup. I'll shoot from the same spot tomorrow and recreate the day 1 position when it's not raining. Fortunately minimal breeze coming from ~6 o clock so I just held center of plate.

Threw my Kifaru 22 mag with a 20lb sandbag inside and a molinator strapped to the webbing on top of one of the rocks and shot kneeling. Decent wobble zone but once I was staying within the plate I shot. ~45 seconds from leaving the truck to taking the shot (video edited down since I needed to show the target not me).

Video courtesy of a 5 year old sitting in the truckbed under the camper shell about 15 yards behind me. When I hit record the plate was centered, fortunately I got my shot in before she slid completely out of the frame!

Recreated the position after my second day when it wasn't raining.
BfrVSkqh.jpg

Hard to see the impact but it's about 2-3" low at the 6 o clock position on the plate. I will walk down and take a pic of the plate tomorrow after shot 2.

kICIbrnh.jpg

Day 2
Sunny with a pretty much full value ~6-12mph wind. I held for 9mph (~.8mils) which was probably a bit much at the time I shot but still a hit.

It took a few tries before my daughter could keep the phone to the spotter long enough for me to find a position that worked and get a shot off. I moved all over trying to get high enough to clear the grass!
7fa6VWXh.jpg

Sitting I could see but couldn't get steady enough
ujgx9SKh.png

I tried a few other slight variants but imgur won't load the screenshots from the other phone I set behind me.

Eventually I settled on the highest rock.
Fez1iiGh.png

It took a minute to get stable but once the wobble zone was staying in the plate I took the shot. Hit on the plate at about 4 o clock position.

The 2 shots. First shot is at the bottom, second one on the lower right edge.
HLwX4exh.jpg

Last edited:

Chad E

WKR
I'm calling my MER as 700 this year. I'm again shooting my tikka 7 saum put together by site sponsor Echelon rifles. I'm shooting 180 berger hybrids at just under 2800fps. The scope is a zeiss v4 4x16.

First shot 54 degrees overcast. The target is at 597 up a canyon with wind blowing differently up canyon than at the shooting position. I'm shooting off a modular evolution bipod up front and a phoenix rear bag. Target is a 10 inch paper plate.
1000011898.jpg

1000011901.jpg
I'm in but definitely could of made a better wind call.

Day 2
Finally made it back out to shoot my second shot. 60 degrees sunny with a variable wind blowing 5 to 10mph at the shooting position and blowing opposite up canyon. Unfortunately I'm 1/2 on the challenge again this year as I missed off the plate low and right.

Blue dot is my impact.
1000012154.jpg
Thanks again to rokslide for putting this on. It's always humbling.

Last edited:
MER 650 yards

Rifle Setup:
AnTi X / HNT 26
PVA 6 CM 20” Sendero Light barrel
Maven RS 1.2
Scythe Ti suppressor
RRS Ascend 14 tripod w/ MA30L head
Revic BR4

Barnes Match Burner 112
41.8g H4350. 2940 FPS

IMG_3387.jpeg

Day 1:
Set up 10” tall X 9” wide plate near top of alpine ridge line. Hiked into shooting position with @Marty this morning.

IMG_3380.jpeg

575 yards, 22 degree uphill angle
Gusting wind 3-8 mph and changing from 3-6 o’clock at our position. Estimated to be 8-12 mph from 2-4 o’clock at the target, but appeared to diminish right as I was about to shoot.

Shot: Dialed 2.4 Mil elevation, .5 mil right. Dialed wind to be able to hold center, as no follow up shots planned.
IMG_5369.jpeg

What first appeared to be a hit, looks like it just missed or nicked the plate on the left side. Should have stuck with a .8 mil right hold that I first dialed in. Whether this shot would have impacted a full 10” wide plate 🤷🏻‍♂️. I’ll examine plate when I reposition it tomorrow.

Update: 1st shot skimmed the side of the 9” wide plate.
IMG_3431.jpeg

Day 2:

632 Yards, 2 degrees downhill.
Along alpine ridge line after climbing 1500 ft up. Full value 5 mph wind from 9 o’clock.

Wind increased to 7-8 as I was setting up shot. Diminished back down to 4-5 right before firing. Held for .5 mil left wind. No indicators at target or in between.

Shooting prone off of a Molinator and rear squeeze bag.

IMG_3433.jpeg

Shot: Miss off of right side of plate .2 mil.

Follow up shot holding .7 Left made impact.
I’m out.

Last edited:

huntnful

WKR
MER 1000 Yards

Shooting a 7-300 NMI built by High Voltage Armory.

Bat Vesper
McMillan Nimrod
Brux #6 1-9 twist. 26”
TT Diamond

180 ELDM @ 3130fps

Decided to set trail cams this morning. So had to shoot in the middle of the day to start the challenge. The mirage is unimaginable down here at sea level on the delta after the sun rises. What you see in the video, is what I see through the scope. I shot it on 8X to try and keep the target from dancing around so badly. Guessed a 6-8 MPH right wind. Held right edge of bullseye or .3 Mils about.

Shot was exactly 600 yards

IMG_4096.jpeg

Shooting prone with a 4oz rear bag that I carry everywhere with me.
IMG_4092.jpeg

Update for the second 600 yard cold bore shot. Another 6 MPH or so right wind shifting from 1:00-3:00. I held right edge of vitals (white circle).

IMG_4159.jpeg

June 8th. First 1000 yard cold bore. Slight wind coming from 1:00-2:00. I held dead center and just let spin drift take care of counteracting the wind. Definitely happy with the shot placement.

IMG_4227.jpeg
Data is for 3130fps. Shot read 3126fps
IMG_4225.jpeg

Finished up the challenge with a miss at 1000 yards for my final shot. Obviously a bummer, but I know the long range game is far from a slam dunk. I misjudged the wind by a few miles an hour (I lost my Kestrel a month ago pig hunting), and hit 3" outside the circle to the left. Since this was my 4th and final shot, and challenge was over at that point, I sent a follow up with a wind correction. That one hit inside the circle. Really enjoyed this! And as always, a humbling experience!

IMG_4271.jpeg

Last edited:

Mag_7s

WKR
My MER for the 2024 Cold Bore Challenge is 505 yards.
Rifle system: 7SAUM, 175 berger elite hunter at ~2970 fps. Defiance AntiX XM plus receiver, 26" Proof Sendero, SRS chub break, Manners EH1, Hawkins Hunter dbm, Hawkins rings, Nightforce NX8 2.5-20
1000005932.jpg
1000005946.jpg

Day 1: 65°f , 27.4 inHg, 14-20 full value wind with gusts in the mid 20s. MISS! I really need to learn how to shoot in the wind.

Day 2: 58°f 27.4 inHg 4-8 mph wind left to right. Another miss. I hit the steel, but low and just below the 10" ring.

image000000.heic (5).jpg

[]

1000005943.jpg1000005945.jpg

1000005942.jpg
[]

Attachments

• 1000005942.jpg
    1000005942.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 1000005943.jpg
    1000005943.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240601_195858.jpg
    IMG_20240601_195858.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Cold Bore Day 1
Claiming MER 720-725 yards so qualifying at 600 yards exact
Overcast about 60 per Kestrel with DA of 5980

Rifle is a Tikka 300 WSM with TiPro Brake 4 port and UM rings with Maven RS 1.2 scope in MIL. Shooting Berger 200.20X that I load in ADG Brass at 2760 fps.
Using a Spartan Javelin bipod that I carry on my pack belt and also had a Molinator bag and Jellyfish, will carry one of if not both of those as well. Maven Rangefinder has been fantastic since I bought a few months ago.

Shooter app called for 3.5 Mil of elevation and 0.1 Mil left. I dialed 3.5 and held dead on ignoring 0.1 mil left.

I put a piece of cardboard behind to help figure out where the shot went if I missed.

Good shot execution and I stayed on target through the shot, saw the plate fall off the screw I had in the stump and then as it was rolling down the hill I could see the impact near outer edge of 10" white circle.

Video of shot and impact on plate

10" circle or just under
IMG_3513.JPG
Target can be seen near top of picture below a green bush and between the two roads.
IMG_3515.JPG

Cold Bore Day 2
Sunny and Clear shooting just before 8 am, sun on my side target is in the shade. 2 mph wind or a little more from 10:30 direction, I thought there might be a little more wind in the middle of the canyon because I'm below a ridgetop and somewhat protected near the head end of the canyon. Shooter called up 3.5 MIL and left 0.2 MIL, I dialed 0.3 MIL and then when I shot it was more of a lull in the wind or at least the grass in front of me wasn't moving like it was when I took my reading.
DA of 6070 and 58 degrees
Had a really nice shot execution, was very steady and watched the impact before I heard it.

Video of shot and then video of impact at the target.

I should be able to get my first shot at 725 yards in tomorrow, I figured out where to put the target and where to shoot from after pulling the target today.

Cold Bore Day 3
Clear, early so no sun hitting anything yet. 2 mph at 10:30 ish gusting to 4 mph tried to shoot in a lull, heard more wind coming. Shooter called up 4.8 MIL and no horizontal as spin drift and wind were cancelling to within 3/4" on target. I missed left and was a hair high but still good enough to be on the 10" target vertically. I'm pretty sure I didn't execute a great shot, was a little unsteady and ended up holding my breath and having a hard time to get the shot to break. Had to use the Jellyfish under the molinator and the ear of the molinator was barely enough height at the butt. Thinking back I should have repositioned and used the Molinator in the front instead of my bipod and possibly had to set the molinator on my bino harness for the right height. That would have gotten me low enough with the Jellyfish to get more solid than I was. I took 3 dry fire shots before starting the video, the first two were very similar to my actual shot, the third I got super solid and executed a nice shot so I got up and started the video. Well either the challenge nerves got the best of me or my execution/position. I don't think the wind caused the magnitude of my miss, 7-8" left of 10" circle target. DA 5070 and 50 degrees.

Forgot to mention above and thought of it as I took my rifle out of the case but I am really liking the stone glacier scope/action cover. It's quick to get off and provides some nice protection especially when inclement wet weather sets in.

Video of shot and video of impact at the target

https://youtube.com/shorts/IlfI1Ie3zs8?feature=share

Shooting position picture from today, target is located on the bottom edge of the road about middle of picture, road is parallel with and just below the sun/shade line. Shooting across a small draw and over the close ridgeline then across the big canyon.

IMG_3555[1].JPG

Cold Bore Day 4
Cool and Windy today. 41 degrees and windy for my areas. Missed my wind call, thought it was in my face, which it was at my shooting position, but the majority of the bullet flight was left to right...
Awesome challenge and made some great gains in my shooting from last year.
Shot, can see the trace today

Impact Video

Last edited:

limpet

FNG
Mer 460 yards with coppers I run out of steam pretty quickly after that.
Tikka t3x 300 wsm with a prefit carbon6 barrel 1:9” twist
175 grain Barnes lrx doing 2960fps
Swfa 5-20x50 on warne mountain tech rail and rings.
Stocky’s carbon accublock stock.
Harris bipod and a lightweight rear bag
B24395BC-2B48-4917-A1B5-09A664758FD8.jpeg
Day 1 63 degrees 2-5 mph left right wind in the canyon with 0 at the target and shooting site. I didn’t hold for wind as I thought I was in a lull.
0DFBC502-60DB-4075-BF4B-B3B406A41F8B.jpeg
Day 2 winds were more swirly and gusty ranging from 3-7 mph and 9 o’clock to 3 o’clock all the way to 6 o’clock. First shot hit the very top edge of the target and the second went more center third shot was a complete miss. I confirmed what I knew, I need more practice, lots more practice. 55B14A2B-2EDD-4C42-BEE2-AEC319D1354A.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 1: Before today, I hadn't shot since last fall. Before my shot, I called my MER between 450 and 500. I shot today at 525. I'll call my MER is no more than 525.

Today was overcast with minimal wind. I ranged my shot at 525 and dialed up 2.7 mils. I did not dial wind into my shot.

For equipment, Rifle- defiance anti, altitude stock, thunderbeast ultra 7, wilson barrels chambered by whaley, trigger tech, arken scope and modular evolution bi pod. I used a rear squeeze bag and Alpha rem 260 brass, h4350, berger hvld 140 grn, cci 200.

My shot is at the top of the 10" circle. It did break the line, but am wondering if this counts.

Target:
1000018844.jpg
1000018869.jpg

Video:
2024 Cold Bore Challenge

Second shot (7/6/2024): hit
Weather was 85+ degrees, 5+mph wind from the 10 o clock, low humidity.

Video:
2nd shot

Attachments

• Messenger_creation_1b0c9ae0-2e6c-4b38-bf61-20fd330e8bb9.jpeg
    Messenger_creation_1b0c9ae0-2e6c-4b38-bf61-20fd330e8bb9.jpeg
    307.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
MER- 850yards

Today (6/2/24) @mrssportsmanschallenge and I went out to a spot not far from town to try our 1st attempts at this year's cold bore challenge.

Last year I believe my MER was 900 or so, this year I backed it down a little, but also not shooting a 28 nosler, I am shooting the 260ai that we both used during deer season and she carried on her elk hunt.

Rifle- defiance anti, altitude stock, thunderbeast ultra 7, wilson barrels chambered by whaley, trigger tech, arken scope and modular evolution bi pod.
Rear squeeze bag
Alpha rem 260 brass, h4350, berger hvld 140 grn, cci 200

Conditions- slight wind from 5 o clock maybe 2-3 mph, held no wind, slight decline nothing special about the weather or the spot.

Video has pics, will add here too. Will move on to 2nd attempt.

2nd shot (7/6/24) hit
Weather was 85+ degrees, 5+mph wind from the 10 o clock, low humidity.

we have been busy the past few weeks and havent been able to get out. Got out today before my bday party to at least get the 2nd shots done. I may be able to knock out a 3rd shot tomorrow, but wont be able to get 4 shots in.

Attachments

• 20240602_140125.jpg
    20240602_140125.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20240602_150109.jpg
    20240602_150109.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20240706_125039.jpg
    20240706_125039.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I'm calling a MER of 500 yards. Target ended up being at 518 yards.

Shooting a tikka T3X in 223 w/CTR stock cut to 16.5" with a form 1 can and a SWFA 6x.
75gr ELD w/ 25gr Varget
Day 1: SHOT VIDEO MISS
Overcast day @85 degrees and 62% humidity
Light gusts of wind up to 5mph in the draw left to right

Clean Target:
IMG_2721.jpg
Setup: UM Molinator on SG bag and rain jacket for rear suport.
IMG_2737.jpg
Data:

IMG_2738.PNGIMG_2745.PNG
SHOT: Held no wind because I believed it was a lull.
Target: hit on hanger, That little bit of wind got me.
IMG_2744.jpg

——————————————————
Day 2: exact same setup just a bit hotter

34336948-D29A-4366-A3D2-4DCFB47192A4.jpg

Shot: clean miss. Looks like it was on the right side again. Overall not happy with either shot. Shot

Last edited:

Ramem7mm

Lil-Rokslider
Maximum Effective Range is 650 yards

Gun - 7mm Rem Mag 175 Berger EOL @ 3,000 FPS
Setup Shooting off Hatch Outwest bipods with rear bag

Shot 1 600 yards
Relatively flat, Wind @ 5-7 MPH NW, Some trees blocked some of the wind, should have held a little more to get closer to center
7mm Rem Mag.jpg

Day 2 Shot missed the goal. learned a little through the process though. make sure you dial right and rear support is really important. Already cant wait for next year.

Attachments

• IMG_3984.JPG
    IMG_3984.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3986.JPG
    IMG_3986.JPG
    543.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3991.JPG
    IMG_3991.JPG
    498.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Marty

Lil-Rokslider
MER 600 yards

Rifle Setup:
  • LA AnTi / XLR 4.0
  • Bartlein 7PRC 18” CF 1:8 twist
  • Triggertech Special flat two stage trigger
  • Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42mm F1 MOAR
  • Hawkins Precision Hybrid Scope Rings
  • Banish Backcountry Suppressor
  • 3M electrical tape on the muzzle

Ammo:
  • Factory Federal Premium 175 ELDX; 2775 FPS average MV

Rest:
  • Aziak Equipment Backcountry tripod w/ MA30L head
  • Rear support via jacket stuffed into its sleeve.

Target: 10” tall X 9” wide plate near the top of an alpine ridge.

Day 1: Hiked up with @B_Reynolds_AK to a shooting position. From muzzle to target: 575 yards at 22 degrees upward angle. I estimated the winds at the shooting position to be about 5 mph and varying from full to half value. Winds at the target appeared stronger, perhaps 10MPH, and very challenging to determine the vector.

I dialed up 10.25 MOA and held about 2 MOA of wind (on the right edge of steel). The shot broke cleanly, followed trace in the scope, and revealed a miss. Though not executed, I badly wanted a follow up shot with 3-3.5 minutes of wind held. I hate leaving a target not hit/killed, etc.

Looking forward to the second shot in the coming days!

Day 2: Hiked up with @B_Reynolds_AK to a shooting position, a chilly alpine ridge. From muzzle to target: 632 yards at 2 degrees downward angle. I estimated the winds at the shooting position to be about 5-7 mph and varying from full to 3/4 value. At the target, there was no indication for wind: no mirage, vegetation, dirt/dust, windsock, etc.

I dialed up 13.5 MOA elevation and held about 2.5 MOA of wind. The shot broke cleanly, followed trace in the scope, and got splash and delayed thud of bullet on steel.

Had an awesome time, thanks for putting this together! And a special thanks for @B_Reynolds_AK for challenging me!

Attachments

• IMG_3395.JPEG
    IMG_3395.JPEG
    296.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3394.JPEG
    IMG_3394.JPEG
    553.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3393.JPEG
    IMG_3393.JPEG
    482.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5395.jpg
    IMG_5395.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3435.jpg
    IMG_3435.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3439.jpg
    IMG_3439.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I’m in for 2024! Set up a new target in the foothills about 30 min drive and 15 min walk to the spot.

MER is 900 yards.

Rifle is a tikka action with 26” brux #3 chambered in 25 creedmoor. Alterra carbon hunter stock, maven rs 1.2, Gunwerks elevate 2.0 bipod.

MV is 2920fps.

Day 1: 601 yards. Shot is across a saddle and some tricky wind. 4-5mph at my location, held for .3 mils. It was a hit, but should have held .5-.6 mils (was actually more like 6-7mph wind).

Day 2: 601 yards same target. Went in with my buddy Rick who started the challenge today.

Have you ever experienced that moment, right before you pull the trigger on an animal, where your brain screams “JUST GET IT OVER WITH!” Well I choked on the shot. Fundamentals went out the window..also the wind hold was off. Sucks, but good lesson. Last year i shot a lot more and the shots were second nature..this year I did not put in anywhere near the same amount of trigger time. Good lessons..maybe 900 yards will happen next year.

Oh and Rick almost got bit by the same rattlesnake twice 😂

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.