2024 Bugle Report

kpk

WKR
Thanks - I still stop by the wall of fame at my local sports store and check river fishing reports. Fishing and hunting are community things to me and I love seeing others success!

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

One of the local shops here used to take a picture of the deer that came in and would post them on their website. No bickering or stupid comments. You could tell when things were heating up or deer were moving based on how many pics were getting posted per day. It was always cool to see pics from the youth seasons too. It was great.

OP
rileybassman
Central MT. Opener, pretty active, bugles late last evening and then pretty hot till about 9 AM today. Saw a decent bull and he already had 15-20 cows with him.

Got to listen in on two bulls fighting. Was pretty cool. Wind was bad so couldn't close the last 2-300 yards.

Good luck out there everyone!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Central Idaho. I've heard two bugles so far, with what may have been a third, but far off. Saw a good 6 with eleven cows. Smoke and heat are killing my motivation more than lack of bugles. This coming week is looking cold and rainy. I love it. At least I won't be sweating as much.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

chukwithak

Lil-Rokslider
Buddies been in the SE Frank for a couple days now. Just smoke and wolves so far. I'll be out there Monday through the end of the month. I'll have some moments to report back. Have to love Starlink.

Scoot

WKR
Nothing until Sep 2nd in southern CO where we were. Started cranking up pretty good on the 4th.

Haven't seen a bugle report thread yet this year... If I missed it, mods feel free to nuke this one!

Heading out later this week and curious what you all are hearing!

Cold stretch in MT last week but opener is looking hot again so I'm expecting it to be fairly quiet till towards the end of next week.

7 Days in No. Colorado so far. Today is my last day. Have covered a lot of ground and heard 1 bugle late in the evening. They have been mute. Not responding to calling at all. Hope it picks up for anyone heading out this week.

Usi05

WKR
Talking right away this morning. I was shadowing small herd and could hear other bulls calling as well. Shutdown around 9am.

western Montana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw a calf with spots Thursday. That cow must have been bread in November.
Yea interesting. Last year during beginning of September I saw a lone cow all by herself above timberline. Thought it was weird that no other elk were around. Saw her a few days in a row. Then one morning I saw a tiny calf wobbling legs come out of a bush.

simeon

FNG
Classified Approved
7 Days in No. Colorado so far. Today is my last day. Have covered a lot of ground and heard 1 bugle late in the evening. They have been mute. Not responding to calling at all. Hope it picks up for anyone heading out this week.
This was also my experience in SW Colorado last week. Got into some pretty intense bugle battles with some hunters a couple of times though.

Got close to a couple bulls but they spooked before I saw them. Tough when they don’t respond more than once if at all.

This was also my experience in SW Colorado last week. Got into some pretty intense bugle battles with some hunters a couple of times though.

Got close to a couple bulls but they spooked before I saw them. Tough when they don’t respond more than once if at all.
I just can't bring myself to go back to Colorado anymore. My eyes were opened when I expanded my horizons to other states. Maybe someday they will get their act together and start managing their herds in a more appropriate manner. I would honestly rather hunt once every few years and have a solid experience than hunt every year and hear one bugle per year. But that's one guy's opinion.

simeon

FNG
Classified Approved
I just can't bring myself to go back to Colorado anymore. My eyes were opened when I expanded my horizons to other states. Maybe someday they will get their act together and start managing their herds in a more appropriate manner. I would honestly rather hunt once every few years and have a solid experience than hunt every year and hear one bugle per year. But that's one guy's opinion.

I’ve only done two archery elk hunts. Both in Colorado but I’m starting to want to look elsewhere. I agree, the populations in the 3 units I’ve hunted have been kinda low it seems. I know I’m still learning how to hunt elk but still felt like it was hard to locate a bull. Saw probably 40 cows last week and maybe 3 or 4 bulls.

Problem is, I have no points in other states except for Wyoming. Saving Wyoming points for a trophy hunt someday.

Do you have any suggestions on what other states should I look into with no points? I’ve heard New Mexico and Arizona are good but tough to draw.

Gerbdog

WKR
I’ve only done two archery elk hunts. Both in Colorado but I’m starting to want to look elsewhere. I agree, the populations in the 3 units I’ve hunted have been kinda low it seems. I know I’m still learning how to hunt elk but still felt like it was hard to locate a bull. Saw probably 40 cows last week and maybe 3 or 4 bulls.

Problem is, I have no points in other states except for Wyoming. Saving Wyoming points for a trophy hunt someday.

Do you have any suggestions on what other states should I look into with no points? I’ve heard New Mexico and Arizona are good but tough to draw.
real hard to draw on arizona and NM ... it happens... but even residents are left high and dry in those states

Decently north of Castle Rock CO you can usually find some on private tonight there was a huge bull chasing cows and bugling.

Attachments

• IMG_6648.png
    IMG_6648.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 110

DSchliep

FNG
Haven't seen a bugle report thread yet this year... If I missed it, mods feel free to nuke this one!

Heading out later this week and curious what you all are hearing!

Cold stretch in MT last week but opener is looking hot again so I'm expecting it to be fairly quiet till towards the end of next week.

I'm in S.E. Mt. Saw 3 bulls last Thursday chilling in the shade. Been hotter than hell this side of the state so pretty quiet still.

Attachments

• 20240904_185656.jpg
    20240904_185656.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 20240904_185613.jpg
    20240904_185613.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 101

PHo

WKR
Central ID: tons of smoke, apparently multiple wildfires are raging right now all around. Super hot weather so far. Got one bugle response on Friday, but all quiet since then. Elk are definitely in my area but they just don’t seem too interested right now. With this hot weather neither am I, gonna go home and come back next week after the weather cools down.

bow_dozer

Lil-Rokslider
Sw MT, heard about 20 bugles by 8am then quite for the rest of the day.

chukwithak

Lil-Rokslider
As of this morning, Frank Church (Sleeping Deer Mt.) can’t see but 100-200 yards due to smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk