2023 Wyoming Elk Draw Results

BDRam16

WKR
First time I’ve gone into the WY draw somewhat hoping for a refund…which means I’m 100% going to draw.

My hunting partner is getting married in CO a few days before we usually go for archery and he said he could swing CO this year and not WY. Which means I’ll be in WY solo for sure lol.

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in with 3 points for a unit that had 100% odds on regular last year. I'm kind of planning on drawing. However, considering my fall has been booking up, I won't hate getting that money back.

Last edited:

FlyGuy

WKR
I drew a non res general last year, so I’m going into this year with zero points and a prayer…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boone-In-Wall

Lil-Rokslider
How do you usually find out you're drawn? Email or do I need to obsessively refresh the WY webpage?

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
If I draw I'll have to try not to gloat, because then I would certainly be eaten by a grizzly bear on my hunt.

Mostly just expect to get my money back.
I hunted in grizzly country in WY and MT. Saw grizzly bears on a deer hunt inside the Shoshone including under 100 yards at dawn while glassing. Was a sow without cubs rolling logs to eat small stuff though were plenty of mule deer between us and the bear. The guide carried a wheel gun on his horse and a revolver across his chest. He said he spooked a grizzly boar one evening cutting through a mostly dry creek bottom with brush and grass up against the horse trail. Was almost dark and had been pushing his horse and pack team to get back to the trailhead before then. His horse bristled about 5 seconds before the apparently sleeping boar spooked and leapt to get out of Dodge but passed near the nose of his horse. He never got a hand on either weapon before the dust was settling.

On a mountain goat hunt above Yellowstone, I saw lots of grizzly and black bear tracks and scat from really fresh to petrified. Never saw a bear of any type, though, on that hunt though one morning as I exited my tent on a solo hunt...my headlamp picked up a smoldering fire. Nope, there was fresh grizzly bear scat still steaming. I guess I was not the right scent to be an appetizer. Was windy that morning so spent a lot of time looking at my backtrail as cut through stands of pine and even as sat and glassed on ridgelines. I chose bear spray so saved weight by not carrying a handgun. Maybe I am just charmed.

All in all, bears are not getting fat by eating hunters out West.

We had a bear waiting in our wind as we butchered an elk in 2019. Sure, he wasn’t there for us, but I would have preferred not as many bears.

link

FNG
Using 15 points on a $1200 elk tag to go and stumble around the hills looking for a big bull while wrestling Grizzly bears. Maybe.

grfox92

WKR
We had a bear waiting in our wind as we butchered an elk in 2019. Sure, he wasn’t there for us, but I would have preferred not as many bears.
Had one come running in full speed on us as we were cutting up my mule deer this year. Spotted him at 80 yards. 3 seconds later and he would have been in our laps.

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
I only put it for a cow tag this year. Decent odds but if i get my money bs k i don’t be mad

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
I should draw unit 35 for type 9 archery only.

Speaking of....any WYO resident who wants to go on a backpacking vacation the first week of September and get paid to be my friend, let me know! One of the perks will be spending lots of time in the Wilderness :cool: