2022 ELK MEAT POLE

First time big game hunting, so happy to be able to harvest an elk. He's no wall trophy just a goofy snag horn but I pulled off the shot at 600 yards with my 300 prc. First game animal I've ever tagged, and I was alone and no guide, my buddies showed up after they heard the shot. Hell of an experience.
Off to a good start

574mag

FNG
First ever trip to Colorado with the son in laws. They bought otc bull tags, I decided to try and draw a cow tag. So glad I did! What an incredible experience! Next time, I’ll chase the rack! South west Colorado. Beautiful country!

Attachments

• E412DC74-B913-4164-8CAA-BA95FBC00586.jpeg
    E412DC74-B913-4164-8CAA-BA95FBC00586.jpeg
    719.1 KB · Views: 77

Goose11

FNG
Public Land Colorado, OTC Archery in a thicket! On our way in that morning (September 16, 2022) we saw a tree up high being thrashed by a bull. We slipped in to him, at about 70 yards we called. This bull started to bugle, but was cut off by a more mature bugle just over the ridge! We headed to it, and were met by a herd of free-range cattle! Using them to get close we just walked amongst them (as much as they would allow) up to about 50 yards of this herd bull. He had about 12 cows and a bunch of calves with him. We couldn't see any of them, but could hear them walking and calling to each other. They were on the move, and we just happened to get in between them! At the same time, it started raining, so we took our backpacks off, not really understanding that we were in the literal middle of an elk herd, and we put on our rain jackets. As I got my jacket on, I heard a step to my right, and grabbed my bow, nocked an arrow and prepared for a shot. My buddy was 10 yards lower than me on the mountainside, and the brush was too high for him to get a clean shot. The bull passed him at about 75 yards, and he looked up at me and said, "Cow Call!" So I did, and it turned the bull just enough that he came towards me, I let the arrow go at him broadside, and connected perfectly with a double lung shot at about 52 yards. He went 200 yards before crashing. It was an incredible experience. And my buddy got his bull 3 days later within about 300 yards from where I shot mine. If it can happen for us, it can happen for anybody!

Attachments

• D4929B9C-6704-485F-AB35-65D51F23751B_1_101_o.jpeg
    D4929B9C-6704-485F-AB35-65D51F23751B_1_101_o.jpeg
    440.5 KB · Views: 121

Loo.wii

WKR
Opening day success in Selway!

My first time there (first time hunting in ID period). Boy that unit was everything it was advertised to be. Steep as hell, brutal, rugged, and full of wolves, lions, and bears.

Had one of my closest buddies right there with me, he and I served in the Marines together. What a special memory!

Glad I didn't pass up this bull because we didn't see another one the rest of the week.

View attachment 456543
Was this in unit 17? im trying to figure the odds of hitting the trifecta in the spring. bear wolf and lion. can you give me a rundown of your experience

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
MT. Late season mega mama.

91d807350b26e8893e540b39f844df17.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gregt9146

FNG
Looking at all these pictures makes me dream about next fall already and i don't even have a tag in my pocket yet

UtahJimmy

WKR
Might need more details on this! Did you skin up in split mode, shoot the elk and then snowboard down with the quarters? That would be legendary!
Spotted a herd at first light but someone was already on them. Watched 2 different pairs break off while the bulk of the herd moved up the draw a little. Figured I'd go after the pairs because we had fresh snow, they were lower, and knew the other hunters would be in there making the herd unfortunately. So I got to skinning...

Long story short it didn't work out on either pair as some touring peeps got under the lowest pair and I lost the second pair in a bedding area. Followed 2 fresh tracks out but they led me to two young moose.

Since I ended up gaining more elevation than planned, I sidehilled 3 ridges over (still in skin mode) to get above where I figured that herd was. Was able to locate some bedded elk 120 yards below me but couldn't get a clear shot due to angles and brush.

Finally this calf stepped out at 90 yards and since I was solo I decided to take her. Put my board together and rode down to her but the rest of the herd never left so I was shredding with elk busting out everywhere!

Gutted her and then tied a rope around her neck and snowboarded down the hill with her in tow. One I got to the bottom I lasso'd her to my board and dragged her to the truck whole.

Once I got back to the truck some guys pull up and say they watched the whole thing. Gave me a margarita and congratulated me on being the craziest person they've ever met 🤠

Spotted a herd at first light but someone was already on them. Watched 2 different pairs break off while the bulk of the herd moved up the draw a little. Figured I'd go after the pairs because we had fresh snow, they were lower, and knew the other hunters would be in there making the herd unfortunately. So I got to skinning...

Long story short it didn't work out on either pair as some touring peeps got under the lowest pair and I lost the second pair in a bedding area. Followed 2 fresh tracks out but they led me to two young moose.

Since I ended up gaining more elevation than planned, I sidehilled 3 ridges over (still in skin mode) to get above where I figured that herd was. Was able to locate some bedded elk 120 yards below me but couldn't get a clear shot due to angles and brush.

Finally this calf stepped out at 90 yards and since I was solo I decided to take her. Put my board together and rode down to her but the rest of the herd never left so I was shredding with elk busting out everywhere!

Gutted her and then tied a rope around her neck and snowboarded down the hill with her in tow. One I got to the bottom I lasso'd her to my board and dragged her to the truck whole.

Once I got back to the truck some guys pull up and say they watched the whole thing. Gave me a margarita and congratulated me on being the craziest person they've ever met 🤠
That's awesome! Thanks for sharing.