2021 - Weight Loss/Way in Thread

*zap*

WKR
When I switched away from processed foods & bread (2 years ago) I ate a few pounds of blueberries a day for a few months...it worked for me. I eat pretty clean today and recently cuts carbs a bit. Turned 65 today and I ain't doin bad physically. 6', 187# and 32" waist.

I have refrained from posting to this thread because I was afraid that I would fail and I didn't need/want it to be public.

Finishing highschool, I was about 190. Finishing college, I was about 200. I swore that I would never be 210. Fast forward 25 years, and at 51, I was 225+, and saw 230 a few times. The never ending creep was obvious, and it was obvious where I was going.

I have never been 'athletic'. Never had interest in sports, beyond 'non-athletic' ones like hiking, climbing, kayaking, hunting.

At 51, I've got two young kids (5 and 7) and I want to be hunting with them when I'm an old man (Some would say I already am!).

On memorial day, after watching a few inspirational videos the week before, I started in earnest. Cut the junk, cut the carbs, cut the beer, started eating a LOT more salad, tried to be more tolerant of being just bit hungry, but tried to also manage that hunger better when it came. The weight started dropping off, fast at first, but now slow but steady. I had a little bump today (monday, post weekend), but was under 190 most of last week.

I also started exercising seriously. Row 20 minutes, walk 2 miles, 200 crunches, and 50-80 push-ups. My body creeeaaked when I first started doing pushups!! I don't do hard, muscle building workouts, but I do not allow myself rest days. My only days off have been when I was traveling and couldn't (3 days total).

I will attest to Kevin Dill's advice to weigh yourself every day. I am so much more accountable seeing my day to day progress and the impact of when I have failed on diet. I will also attest to Robby Denning's advice to weigh your self pre and post weekend. As much as I try to keep things in check, weekends are definitely where I fail the most (eating with external family, maybe have beer, etc). I haven't been perfect in recording my weight every day, but have most, and its easy to see where my weight ticks up every Monday Morning:

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 12.24.20 PM.png

Funny thing is that while the exercise has definitely helped me feel stronger (especially my core) and more mobile, I really don't feel much different with the weight loss.

I will say that while my goal was the magic '180', its clear that the amount of flab still on me at 190 will require going to 175 at least...

I never thought I would be this thin again...

Last edited:

shadow

FNG
This year I hit 295+ in February at 34 years old. Heaviest I’ve ever been. I had an extensive surgery in 2019 and used that as an excuse not to get in shape the rest of 19, went on a great elk hunt fairly out of shape. Then into the Covid however many pounds.

Decided to make a change this year and luckily got an elk tag again for some extra motivation.

I started with trying to cut out some bad snacking habits at work. Minimizing carbs as best I could. Progress was slow, too slow. Started doing intermittent fasting as well as a few extended fasting periods of 3-6 days in July. That really accelerated things. Also incorporated cycling.

This week I got the MTN tough no gear bundle. Holy smokes, that was a shock to the system.

So far I’m down 45#.C81B0A34-7D1D-47F8-A5D5-8F21A5236469.png

Last edited:
Just wanted to share my small accomplishment as well. After all other hunting plans fell through, this spring/summer I somewhat spontaneously decided to go on my first elk hunt. I was overweight (245lbs.) and in no shape whatsoever. By controlling portions better, doing peloton cycling, and hiking (or mowing the lawn even) with a weighted pack, I'm down to my initial goal of 225 lbs. in less than 3 months. I have noticed a huge change in how I feel during both cycling and hiking and am hoping it translates to getting a little further on the mountain. Keep up the good work everyone and good luck this season

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
Haven’t updated to this in a while. I went into the season at around 236. I finished my second week of hunting around 225. I am back up to 232 and now starting workouts again. Archery season changes the whole routine on its own but I also have 2 very sports active kids. Between practices and games I only have 1 real day for myself. November will be the real starting point for me. I want to be under 200 by next summer. Started last year at 260 so consider myself halfway. Good luck to everyone on their own journey.
I did manage to pack out a couple hundred pounds of meat this month!

Ostron

FNG
Dude, I wish you good luck! This is a really difficult path that we will help you get through! But remember that it is very important to correctly compose your diet. I know many cases when people only suffered because of improperly selected nutrition. Yes, they lost weight, but at the same time they did not receive enough vitamins and other components, which greatly harmed their health. That is why when I decided to start losing weight, I turned to https://medicalweightlosslehighvalley.com/ for help. Now I have reached my goal, I wish you the same!

Last edited: