2016 Whitetail "River Crossing"

griffinit

Lil-Rokslider
Thought I'd share, a brief summary of one of my whitetail hunts, this fall.
Hope you enjoy.

I was working along a river when I spooked a doe at less then 10 yards, a split second after the doe ran past me, I hear a buck grunt. I held my gun up in an opening in the thick brush. I saw he was decently horned but didn't know what he was. I shot this buck at 8 yards, he then ran across the river where he expired. As I was trying to find a shallow enough place to cross the river. I met a trapper named Jon who helped me find a shallower place(just over knee deep) in the river to cross, as he hacked off a branch from a nearby willow with his hatchet. He said "you'll need this wading staff, the river is swifter than it looks." He watched as I made it safely across to my buck and then he tied a ribbon on a tree for me to remove. He said, "If the ribbon is still there when I come back, after dark I'll come a searching." I made it back across with my 95+lb pack and took down the ribbon. I'm glad I didn't test the trappers 22 year old kid floating down the river with his whitetail, tracking ability. This Hunt is one of my favorite adventures in my hunting career.

I still have the willow wading staff, the trapper gave to me I am going to make it into a 10by12 picture frame for the picture of
the buck and I.

Lucky the buck made the other side breaking him down in the river would have been tough. Great story thanks for sharing

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Great buck and a cool story. Had to laugh at the hunter-floating-downriver-tracking ability lol. Pretty cool of that guy to help you out though.

Back