2016 One Wild Ride

Wileycoyote

Lil-Rokslider
This year started with great expectations this guy was on my camera when I check them at the end of August
9422d466e6831e10c974840161018cee.jpg

Just what every hunter wants to see. A summer of no rain since May has left the countryside parched, my plan was to hunt water. Problem was no elk or big bucks were on my cams on any water but that was my only plan. After setting up camp
7e02ff0aff8a2cae3c27a0d1b08ac423.jpg
the opener was over 90° the first three days of the season. It was miserable, sweaty all the time. All I saw were does and fawns and a couple of small bucks. No elk at all or even a squeak. On the afternoon of the third day I hiked to get phone service and got the message that no one wants to get. My grandma was in her final stages of 92 years of life. I packed up and headed out, it ended up she was responsive the day before, but when I finally got it to civilization she was in hospice care and unresponsive. I got to remember all the great boyhood memories and being spoiled, needless to say the next seven days were tough ones.
Life goes on but it sure reminded me to appreciate everything I take for granted.
I had to return to work the following week. But as every hunter knows the mountains keep calling you back in September. I got in the elk the following week but the high temps and harvest moon brought things to a standstill. All action stopped by 8:30am. The timber they bedded in had horrible thermals but it was the best habitat I'd seen all year. No wonder they were here. The Equinox, or peak of the rut fell on the great washout as the weather man called it. We got over 2 1/2 inches of rain in three days. I was glad I stayed home and not in the tipi.
The rain was the game changer I was hoping for. I headed out again to the same sound no bugles. It froze over night and conditions were perfect, the hours and miles were rolling by and nothing. Doesn't anything have testicles out here any more? I'm heading up to a nice basin the winds in my face and a cow barks, what? I proceed on up to a meadow and bugle instant response, I keep pouring it on and pissing him off. Just a small 6 point, I call him in but decided to pass. I then hear big John across the meadow with all the cows. I bust through another 1/2 mile of pucker brush to catch up to him and he's pissed tearing trees apart. I closed the distance to 42 yards a true giant, looks to be the one on my game cam! I draw he's just standing there I think I see an opening in the brambles and punch my release.. Whack and he's gone, I bugle he stops at 90 yards and trots away. I go search for my arrow, it looks like a porcupine and the broad head is demolished. No blood on my arrow a clean miss. It's 11am now and he's taken his cows to bed and I blew it. I just educated the bull of a lifetime being impatient.
I headed out of there knowing the three opportunities you get a season were dwindling fast. Passing on the rag horn strike one, educating big John strike 2, I have one left. It was a long demoralizing afternoon and evening with no more bugles, I was pretty down. I called my wife and told her my great flub, she said don't worry he'll come back but I knew better. I called my dad to check in, and told him too. They both said you just keep trying.
The next morning it froze again. I'm off starting to make my walk about and I start hearing bugles, yes the switch has flipped and somebody's got testicles today!
I start seeing elk on the opposite mountain a half a mile away just stepping into the morning sun cows and what? Two six-point bulls 50 yards from each other. I know I need to get over there and now, they are heading up to the canyon to bed again where the thermals are horrible. I cross the canyon and get up the other ridge as quick as I can. There are bulls bugling above me and at least four more sounding off below me. I stopped to get rid of my jacket and 80 yards right above me a bull bugles, then he starts glunking.
Game on I know this is a big boy and I am right by him, I ditch my pack and grab my bull rush,and my bugle. Let the pissing match begin, I bugle and keep cutting him off he keeps glunking I do to on my bull rush call. He is so mad you can hear it in his tone I keep expecting him to step out at any second. I'm within 50 yards, I kneel down and can see elk legs moving right above me through the trees. He's huffing just right there but I can't see him. I want to press forward but I'm so close he has to come to me. The elk just keep moving and he keeps following his cows each step closer to the dreaded bedding area. I trail him bugling and he bugles back further away. Soon he answers clear over the top of the ridge. All is quiet again. I think to myself there you have it you can't chase down an elk. Game over. I start walking back to retrieve my EMR 2 backpack. I thought to myself screw you I'm going to make you think I got one of you're cows, so I use the cow call on my neck for two sultry sounding cow calls. A little bull bugled back somewhere over by my pack so I thought you are in trouble. Then the big guy answers back it's Jimmy and he's thinking with his dipstick! I hurry up the trail 80 yards and two more I'm alone and I'm cute calls, and all hell breaks loose. I hear branches smashing him glunking and coming down the ravine from the top. I hurry up 50 yards and duck in behind a pine tree and start knocking an arrow, here he is that quick right in front of me at 32 yards. He's huffing and making contact mews and smelling the air looking right past me down where I called from last. Perfect! I draw and oh yes the dreaded brambles, no shot or porcupine arrow again. Two minutes later he moves forward 15 yards he's about to go below me, I start to let my bow down but tell myself no just be patient. He turns and heads right to me at 9 steps he stops now or never he knows I'm here. I take the frontal shot and see my arrow go in to the fletchings I know he's done. I know I'll be criticized for the frontal shot but 10 yards or less is my rule, if I hadn't taken the shot in two seconds he would've been gone as quick as he got there. I hiked back to get my pack, I was high enough on the mountain to get cell phone service so I called my wife to tell her the good news I had to ask what day it was because I lost track when she said the 26th it was even more special because I shot my biggest buck in 2012 on the 26th. I call my dad to tell him the great news in the whirlwind of events that just happened. I grabbed my pack and headed back I wasn't sure what I had done. I walked the trail I cow called on and
a13cafa851d3021d82ece9886e13cb65.jpg

HOMERUN! Big Jimmy right there.
958b8552e4bf870c08e42d42171a6f06.jpg

The season of unfortunate events just turned into the best day I've ever had hunting. I guess you just keep trying!

Then the work began!
1a9a59c8106b7103a74eac165ac8f8d0.jpg

a8688e4d34f5588a2160ce90e25c617e.jpg

I'm still thanking my lucky stars today! What an experience!

Sorry I got so long winded but I wanted to share the lows and the highs we all love about hunting.

Last edited:

UB270

FNG
Awesome story and a stud bull! Sounds like you earned it. Congrats !

OP
Wileycoyote

Wileycoyote

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone, I guess I need to say he's not a 400 inch giant. Through my unofficial measuring I get 350 gross with 12 inches of deductions. I'm just so happy to of finally called a herd bull in, trial and error over the last ten years since I started my bow hunting addiction. He is a good solid bull for the area I hunt. The other biggest bulls I've heard of were 365. But he has the coolest bases 14" it takes both hands to encircle them. Just crazy everybody that sees them are like holy$@&; and the 23 and 20 thirds give him awesome character.

But the way I finally called him in still is hard to figure. I was done , he outsmarted me and was gone with his cows.

I don't have enough funds to hunt Utah, Arizona, New Mexico where the true giants roam. I can only imagine what that would be like to call in a bull that huge in. But in another ten years who knows, seems like the genetics are getting a bit better all the time.

I'm truly thankful! Just keep hunting hard anything can happen! Good luck everybody.
4129a3315e89fdeb0f6dccc0560298c3.jpg

Not sure the pic shows the bases well but they are sure unique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Wileycoyote

Wileycoyote

Lil-Rokslider
I started to wonder what the glunking sound he was making meant I guess this was elknuts info from another forum and it was interesting so I thought I'd post it up. I've only heard the biggest herd Bulls making it myself. Hopefully it's ok with him to post it again

During Phases of the rut it's all "about the cows" Bulls are both looking for cows & collecting cows. Bulls will go to great lengths to round them up & keep what they have. These bulls that are Dominant or fortunate to have cows will communicate with them in a tending, courting manner awaiting them to show signs of estrus & finally to be bred. Bulls will use many different sounds for different reasons at these times of having & holding these cows, they do not want to lose them & can get very defensive towards other bulls if there's a threat to them. These bulls will use "round up" bugles if there's a distant threat to the herd & escape nearby confrontations. If scattered they use a "re-gathering" high pitched scream to gather the group back together, at times a few low rapid chuckles are injected when they get more demanding for this cow/cows to act NOW! This similar sound can be heard when calling in a new unseen cow to the group. Groans, moans, tending/rutting glugs & panting can be heard at these times within the herd. Glunking is another sound used at this time & is what I call a "Signature" sound. This sound gives this bull an identity as who he is. Glunking is done by both subordinate bulls as well as herd bulls. Glunking is used when cows are near or very near estrus or ready to be bred. There is a smell or odor in the air that shows time is here or very close. Glunking is used by bulls to draw cows their way as well as smell or possibly taste the air checking for any sign at all that there's a cow nearby ready to be bred. Herd bulls are not willing to share any of his so called cows. So when another bull shows on the scene Glunking, he knows this new bull is interested in his cows, this can get an immediate reaction from the herd bull when in close! Glunking can be heard by someone cow calling around a very vocal herd where rutting is taking place or very close to it & in comes a bull Glunking away at the hunters cow calling as he uses estrus sounds. This bull comes in glunking in an effort to taste/smell the air & call this cow to him. Glunking can be a powerful sound to use when used at just the right time!!

OP
Wileycoyote

Wileycoyote

Lil-Rokslider
Here was another version, it makes sense why he did what he was doing now!

Good stuff, it pretty much fits with all my experiences as well. WW, you've got that right!!! This sound definitely gets mistaken with others at times!

I figured there were a few who had experienced this sound! I agree it's a very subtle sound & cannot be heard very far off. I've talked with hunters over the years that have this sound confused with "chuckling" which is "ape like" in sound & tone. Many times bulls will use very light or low volume chuckles & guys mistake that for glunking. You've got great ears to recognize this sound at 100yds or so, better than mine for sure! (grin) What does a bull do to make this sound himself? I've asked this to a whole lot of different hunters during our Seminars & no one has known the answer yet? Most feel it's a guttural thing by bulls, well, it is not! They make this sound by slapping their tongue against the roof of their mouths in a clicking or stabbing like action. Sorta like when you did this when you were a kid! (grin) Hunters can imitate this sound best with a mouth reed if you're good or another great way is to perch your lips together & pop this sound out.

Bulls Glunk in the presence of cows or trying to call cows their way, it's not just an estrus thing but also a Dominance feature, bulls will also use this sound to call a new cow (you) over to them. It's a Dominance & Signature sound to bulls, it's generally only done by the more mature bulls in a group or given area. Because it is a Dominance thing among bulls it's a real slap in a herd bulls face to have another bull come in close to his herd & try to call his cows from him with this I'm bigger, badder & deserve those cows more than you. Remember it's the cows who choose the bull they want to be with, bulls will use this sound "glunking" to display their manhood & their deserving to be the chosen one to keep/have those cows & breed them. So it can be a challenge to the herd bull as well as an action on this new bulls part (you) to persuade those cows they should be with him instead. That's his ultimate goal is to have those cows for himself, he's trying to prove his worthiness!

Now you can see why a well placed glunking action is very deadly at the right time!! Get in tight, glunk & give a series of rapid soft chuckles at the end & you'll be demanding for those cows to take notice of you, in doing so you'll most likely have a pretty pissed off herd bull, you'd better have an arrow nocked!!! (grin) Great responses guys!!

ElkNut1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finch

WKR
Congrats, great story! I felt like I was there. Also, sorry to hear about your grandmother. I lost mine several years ago - one of the hardest things I've endured.