Grandpa's Elk

nobody

WKR
Earlier this year, my maternal grandfather passed away after a couple year long fight with Parkinson's. I was lucky to grow up less than a mile away from him for my entire life, working alongside him in his garden, taking care of cows, moving sprinklers, and working on his projects with him. He was a man that nobody ever spoke ill of, and his memorial service was the busiest I've ever seen in my entire life.

He grew up in Central Utah, taking care of cows and fishing and hunting, and took every chance he could to teach us about the outdoors. For his entire life, he has had a 6-point bull hanging on the wall. It fell off the fireplace mantle back in the 90's and the antlers broke, but he had it repaired. He always complained that when it was repaired, the taxidermist made the bull narrower than he was when he killed him. But either way, he's a good bull.

I spoke up when they mentioned "throwing the antlers away" as we've cleaned out the house, and I looked at them and said "the hell you are." I told them I would happily take them and hang them in my front room, so they allowed me to take them home.

This bull was killed in an era prior to any type of "trophy quality management" in Utah. Spikes and raghorns were the breeding stock, and if you were lucky enough to kill a branch antlered bull, you'd probably make the front page of the state newspaper. This bull was (supposedly) the largest one killed in the state that year, and was the equivalent of a 400-incher in today's world. Grandpa was humble about his harvest and never was one to brag, but he always smirked anytime we spoke about hunting elk in central Utah.

What do the rest of you do with old taxidermy or "family" pieces? Do they hold any sentimental value for any of you, or do you just let them go with the rest of the estate?

For those wondering, I rough scored him right at 300 at midnight the day I brought him to my house.

Attachments

• ELK1.jpg
    ELK1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 194
  • ELK2.jpg
    ELK2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 193

NRA4LIFE

WKR
That's great, I'd be proud to have it. I have an old 8-point whitetail that my grandpa took in the 40's in WI (at least that's what the tag on it says) and a 9-point my dad took the first year I had my property in MO, 1994. They both mean a lot to me.

Gerbdog

WKR
You do what you do with any set of antlers, no matter how big it is. Its the memories that it invokes, not the size of it. My first bull hangs in my living room, it aint big, and i still have my dads (RIP) whitetail antlers hanging, no trophy, but good memories. It's the memories for YOU and the stories for those who care enough to ask.

ThatDUDE

WKR
What do the rest of you do with old taxidermy or "family" pieces? Do they hold any sentimental value for any of you, or do you just let them go with the rest of the estate?
I have a couple of small racks from mule deer my dad killed. I am exploring the idea of having some custom knives made and using the antlers for the handles. I would make one for me and my two siblings then we could have a part of my dad with us on our hunts.

PaHunter86

Lil-Rokslider
I have all of my dads and both grandpa's antlers and mounts. Right now I have 4 generations of whitetail bucks hanging in my living room. None are big by any means but I remember each one of them. On the wall is my one grandpa's only buck taken (8pt), my dads last he ever which I was there to watch unfold (5pt), my first buck at 16yrs old (6pt), and my sons first which I was there to watch unfold (7pt). I have all of there other mounts or skull caps in my reloading room hanging on the walls. I will never get rid of any of them.

wapitibob

WKR
Sorry for your loss. The antlers will bring a smile to your face as you recall all the good times.
I know what it's like, both my father and MIL had Parkinsons.

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
I have a set of whitetail antlers that my grandfather shot in the 40’s. Not his largest buck but a solid 4 x 4. I can’t tell you how infrequently look at them, but they always make me smile.

elkdozer

FNG
Earlier this year, my maternal grandfather passed away after a couple year long fight with Parkinson's. I was lucky to grow up less than a mile away from him for my entire life, working alongside him in his garden, taking care of cows, moving sprinklers, and working on his projects with him. He was a man that nobody ever spoke ill of, and his memorial service was the busiest I've ever seen in my entire life.

He grew up in Central Utah, taking care of cows and fishing and hunting, and took every chance he could to teach us about the outdoors. For his entire life, he has had a 6-point bull hanging on the wall. It fell off the fireplace mantle back in the 90's and the antlers broke, but he had it repaired. He always complained that when it was repaired, the taxidermist made the bull narrower than he was when he killed him. But either way, he's a good bull.

I spoke up when they mentioned "throwing the antlers away" as we've cleaned out the house, and I looked at them and said "the hell you are." I told them I would happily take them and hang them in my front room, so they allowed me to take them home.

This bull was killed in an era prior to any type of "trophy quality management" in Utah. Spikes and raghorns were the breeding stock, and if you were lucky enough to kill a branch antlered bull, you'd probably make the front page of the state newspaper. This bull was (supposedly) the largest one killed in the state that year, and was the equivalent of a 400-incher in today's world. Grandpa was humble about his harvest and never was one to brag, but he always smirked anytime we spoke about hunting elk in central Utah.

For those wondering, I rough scored him right at 300 at midnight the day I brought him to my house.
Just had Papaws whitetail re caped with a buck my daughter took last season. He took the buck in 1956 it was a really good buck in our area at the time.
It’s going on the wall today!

Attachments

• IMG_5934.jpeg
    IMG_5934.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 14

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
It depends. Only have one old crappy largemouth bass mount from the 70s that belonged to my grandfather. I remember it always being on the wall at their house and we has alot of good fishing memories. But he had other mounts I didn't really care about.

We don't have a shared hunt cabin or property barn to put all our old stuff. So honestly I don't care if my son keeps my antlers and mounts. He can toss, sell or whatever if he wants. Those are my memories. Someday he will hopefully have his own memories and priorities.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Read1t48

WKR
In my house, only the best stories get the shoulder mounts or euros. I have a garage full of bigger horns, but they don’t mean anything because they’re missing a story. I would hang your grandpa‘s antlers with pride, just as you did. He would be proud.

awnicho2

FNG
Keep them in the family. Those are heirlooms, and I’m sure they have a story. Interview your loved ones and get those stories before they are gone. Use them as a way to remember your family.

Nice bull. Rest in peace.