Opening Morning Oregon Roosevelt

OP
Twitch

Twitch

WKR
You are on a roll man! Heck of a bull and I always enjoy your quality photos! Congratulations

Thanks. I hunt alone, so all my pics are taken with my phone in a phoneholder on my tripod and using a bluetooth shutter remote. Sure beats running back and forth 50 times with a self timer.

Rotnguns

FNG
Well, my season ended quickly, but I’m ok with that!

Back in March we discovered some problems with our house that has required me to work on it every single one of my days off from work…literally every one… with the exception of two weekends I scouted for my antelope tag, and a weekend for that hunt.
It’s been frustrating, and exhausting. I haven’t been able to shoot my bow as much as I usually do, I haven’t been able to scout like I usually do. I really haven’t done anything…fun. I keep telling my wife that archery season was my light at the end of the tunnel. It was the #1 thing I was looking forward to as a mental break from the house.

Opening weekend, my father in law invited my wife, two boys and I to go to California with him for the Beavers season opener. Normally something I’d love to do, but I told them I was going to pass. I needed to be in the woods. I said my goodbyes to them Friday night knowing I would leave in the morning we’ll before they woke.

Opening morning, I make the hike in to a spot where I hung a tree stand in a saddle where elk seem to move from feeding to bedding areas. It’s small, so if they come through it, they are usually in range.

I didn’t hear a sound until just after shooting light. A cow call, then another, then more. Louder, closer. Definitely coming my way. Than a bugle. A big, deep, raspy nasty bugle! Oh man!
The cows keep coming, and after about 25 minutes, they start passing on the trail almost directly below me. Cows and calves and spikes… I don’t even know how many! Then the bugle from down the ridge below me. Then he bugles again. He sounds mad that the cows aren’t going the direction he is going. I expected them to stop and return to him, but they kept going past me. And his bugles now started getting closer. He was coming after them.

A few minutes go by when I look over my left shoulder and there he is! Just 6 yards to my left was a tank of a bull! He just stood there surveying the cows progress.
I already had an arrow nocked. The same exact arrow I have killed my last three bulls with.

He takes a couple steps and stops again. I draw. He takes 2 more steps. If he goes any further he will be in front of my stand where I can’t shoot since I am sitting and can’t turn To get in position that direction.
Thankfully he pauses, and the next thing I remember was watching the green lighted nock blast completely through right behind the shoulder. He jumps, but only takes a couple steps. I grab my phone and start recording. The cows are still browsing along, so he starts to follow them, but he looks like he’s walking on jello. He goes 22 yards and collapses!
I about fell out of the tree in disbelieve! WHAT JUST HAPPENED!

Walking up, I could not believe the size of his body. He looked like a Clydesdale with antlers. Big, thick tined, heavy mass antlers! Holy cow! A Roosevelt I had only dreamed of!

4 bulls (and a buck) with the same arrow, and the 3rd Pope and Young bull in 3 years! I am still in shock!
What a monster! Congrats and thanks for sharing your story!

7mm-08

WKR
Congratulations on a fantastic bull! I'm sure your family feels the bull you killed is a reward for all the work you have done to provide for them working on your house. Nicely narrated story as well. Thanks for taking the time to let us live vicariously.