2016 hunting season run through

Retterath

WKR
My 2016 hunting season started off with a spring bear hunt in may in montana and with awesome friend! When i arrived in montana everything was green and beautiful. The first day we hunted it rained all day and by the end of the day the snow came. The second day it was a blizzard, we headed out and tried to hunt but was just not a good idea. So we just hung out and watched the snow pile up. The third day the snow was deep!! There was a foot in town and about 20" in the mountains. We had a very hard time trying to drive to where we were gonna start hiking but eventually made it and it was a tuff hike in but we did it. We spotted a bear about 2 hrs into the hunt on a ridge top and was able to get set up and bust both shoulders with the first shot and another follow up shot to make sure he wasn't going anywhere. Wow was i excited to see that bear role down that mountain.

My wife drew her south dakota antelope tag this year and we had an awesome hunt together. We did scouting the weekend before and found a great buck but could not turn him up on opening weekend.

I shot my first bull in colorado on an otc diy public land hunt. It was an awesome experience and a hell of a pack out. Shot him 5.5 miles back in the wilderness. When shooting an elk back that far in, the packing out starts to be a mental game trying to focus on getting back to the truck. A friend and i brought half out that first day i shot him and the rest the next day. What a rewarding hunt though and great memories.

This is my south dakota whitetail i shot on the reservation. It was such a fun little hunt cause my 7year was with and spotted him through the spotter in a little blizzard. I told him i found a big buck and he says, really already. He was following a doe every step of the way and i knew we had to get on him quick before they made it to this big draw. He crawled through the snow on our hands and knees and he had a smile on his face the whole time. We finally got to and area where i could get a shot and had him look through and watch the deer when i shot, so i set up and anchored him in one shot and i looked over at him and he said i think you got him. I said we did,and he yelled. YES

My 2016 hunting season started off with a spring bear hunt in may in montana and with awesome friend! When i arrived in montana everything was green and beautiful. The first day we hunted it rained all day and by the end of the day the snow came. The second day it was a blizzard, we headed out and tried to hunt but was just not a good idea. So we just hung out and watched the snow pile up. The third day the snow was deep!! There was a foot in town and about 20" in the mountains. We had a very hard time trying to drive to where we were gonna start hiking but eventually made it and it was a tuff hike in but we did it. We spotted a bear about 2 hrs into the hunt on a ridge top and was able to get set up and bust both shoulders with the first shot and another follow up shot to make sure he wasn't going anywhere. Wow was i excited to see that bear role down that mountain.

This is my mule deer shot in western south dakota with my west river tag. This was another great hunt with my 7 year old. We walked in 3/4 of a mile and were just gonna sit down when my son cooper said my feet are gonna freeze off, when do you think we are going to go back to the truck. I asked him if we should go back and he said i don't want to but my feet are freezing. I told him to sit down and take off his boots and i stuck his feet up under my shirts so his feet would warm up. After a half hr of that i still never glassed and deer up. He said his feet were warm now so we headed in a little further and sat down again and we found some deer. We made a stalk on a buck chasing a doe but the does were constantly looking over at us, so we backed out and came in from a different direction. We made it around the big drainage and spotted him and set up and made the shot right in the boiler room. Another happy Dad and son!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
One heck of a season. Sounds like your boy is already pretty hard core

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk