20 years ago - Advice to your younger self

Billinsd

WKR
As the title says - what advice would you give yourself 20 years ago?
Number 1, stop my acid reflex completely with diet and eating habits!!! 2. Stop acid reflux. 3. Stop acid reflux. 4. Stop acid reflux. 5. Don't take things so seriously. 6. Don't take things so seriously 7. Don't take things so seriously. 8. Don't take things so seriously. 9. Handle the stress in healthy ways, like meditation. 10. Eat a healthy diet, stop alcohol completely and pretty much coffee too. Not eating late at night. Destroyed my esophagus with coffee, alcohol and eating before going to bed. I never took acid reflux seriously. 11. Get more exercise. 12. When to get in and out of the stock market. 13. Then quit my job.

Yarak

WKR
Take better care of yourself as things can go downhill quickly before you realize it

KsRancher

WKR
Number 1, stop my acid reflex completely with diet and eating habits!!! 2. Stop acid reflux. 3. Stop acid reflux. 4. Stop acid reflux. 5. Don't take things so seriously. 6. Don't take things so seriously 7. Don't take things so seriously. 8. Don't take things so seriously. 9. Handle the stress in healthy ways, like meditation. 10. Eat a healthy diet, stop alcohol completely and pretty much coffee too. Not eating late at night. Destroyed my esophagus with coffee, alcohol and eating before going to bed. I never took acid reflux seriously. 11. Get more exercise. 12. When to get in and out of the stock market. 13. Then quit my job.
Elaborate on the acid reflux if you don't mind. I am about to turn 37 and have had it BAD since I was 16. I will wake up at night and feel like I am choking to death. It makes it all the way into my sinuses. Burn doesn't even describe it. I end up sleeping in a recliner. The more upright I stay the less it comes up. I had nodules cut out of my esophagus 3 yrs ago. They weren't cancer. But the Dr told if I didn't get the acid reflux under control that it would be cancerous some year. Stomach and esophagus cancer killed my grandpa.

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Hey big guy, you better slow down, or you won't be here in 20 years, or even close......

Crusader

WKR
Elaborate on the acid reflux if you don't mind. I am about to turn 37 and have had it BAD since I was 16. I will wake up at night and feel like I am choking to death. It makes it all the way into my sinuses. Burn doesn't even describe it. I end up sleeping in a recliner. The more upright I stay the less it comes up. I had nodules cut out of my esophagus 3 yrs ago. They weren't cancer. But the Dr told if I didn't get the acid reflux under control that it would be cancerous some year. Stomach and esophagus cancer killed my grandpa.
Are you on a daily med for your acid reflux? I'm 64 and have had acid reflux/GERD for about 20 years. Esophageal sphincter (valve) doesn't shut as it should. I take omeprazole every day; it helps to control it. But there are numerous dietary and lifestyle guidelines that the doctors recommend to aid in controlling it. The important ones that I try to follow religiously include don't eat later than 6:30 pm or so, preferably even earlier; try to allow 4 hours or so between eating and going to bed. Don't eat a large dinner. Try to avoid spicy foods in the evening if possible. And lastly, and it seems like you're aware of this, stay upright after dinner in the evening, don't be horizontal until you go to bed.

Billinsd

WKR

You are my 23 years younger self!!! I'm 60 and now have Barretts syndrome and an elevated chance of esophagus cancer. My mom recently died at 89 while having esophagus cancer. It's hereditary for me. You must get it under control immediately, period. That's what I'm doing. I'm taking Omneprazole long term, which is harmful in other ways. Stop drinking alcohol, don't smoke, and don't do anything to irritate your esophagus. Lose weight, get below 15% body fat index. Don't eat with 3 hours of going to bed. Raise your bed up a few inches. Get an endoscopy every three years or probably 6 months. Get a good gastroentologist and do what they say. PM me if you have questions, my good buddy is a Physician and has the same thing as me and I'm repeating what he told me. Bill

Last edited:
Act your age. 20 is old enough to have money saved and start a business. I wasted so much money on the latest and greatest mountain biking gear. You don't want to attract the kind of girl drawn to shiny things.

I wish I would have married my wife sooner and started having kids earlier. 9 years this fall and 3 beautiful kids.

Save more money into retirement accounts.

Spend more money on good and healthy foods and less on beer.

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
Hunt Colorado before 07/08
Buy points in Arizona
I would advise myself of the winning numbers for the $140 million Powerball on August 30, 2003. Then buy apple stock with all of it.

TheTone

WKR

You are my 23 years younger self!!! I'm 60 and now have Barretts syndrome and an elevated chance of esophagus cancer. My mom recently died at 89 while having esophagus cancer. It's hereditary for me. You must get it under control immediately, period. That's what I'm doing. I'm taking Omneprazole long term, which is harmful in other ways. Stop drinking alcohol, don't smoke, and don't do anything to irritate your esophagus. Lose weight, get below 15% body fat index. Don't eat with 3 hours of going to bed. Raise your bed up a few inches. Get an endoscopy every three years or probably 6 months. Get a good gastroentologist and do what they say. PM me if you have questions, my good buddy is a Physician and has the same thing as me and I'm repeating what he told me. Bill
These acid reflux posts are hitting me hard. I’ve had issues off an on for a few years and the last week has been truly bad. Not sure what I did to set it off so much. I do know I’m not having any coffee tomorrow and hoping that at least starts the day on the right track.

cornchuck

FNG
1. Do my time in the military. (Marine Corp)
2. Move out west. Wyoming, Montana, Idaho. Where ever there
is elk, mule deer, antelope, and whitetail.
3. Buy farm ground

Jason

COwineguy

Lil-Rokslider
1. Don’t get married early
2. High school isn’t that big of deal don’t worry about fitting in
3. Only go to college if the job you want requires it
4. Start a business.
5. If you aren’t making money while you sleep. You have a job