1st antelope tag success in Wyoming

f16jack

WKR
Great hunt with your dad.
Hunting antelope is where you earn your stalking creds. If they see/watch you all you will see is their rumps over the far ridge. And then if you look carefully with your binocs you'll see that they've stopped, just over the ridge, and are peeking back at you to see if you are following. Ears and eyeballs.

Fetty Wapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Jealous! Been putting in as a resident for 11 years... still haven't had the pleasure of pulling a buck tag. Hoping this is the year! Thanks for sharing

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations on a successful hunt! Two buddies and I are heading back to Wyoming this fall for another goat hunt.

K Luper

FNG
Well dad and I got it done in Wyoming on opening day. A lot of prep was put into making this trip work and the efforts all paid off.

Everyone I’ve talked to about antelope said that it was a three day hunt but I never believed it. I screwed up the day that the season opened and thought ( for reasons unknown to me) that season on Monday. Well wasn’t I in for a surprise when we were scouting on Sunday and I happened to look at the regs…….. so we spent all day Monday scouting again and shooting some prairie dogs. As dad likes to say “ at least I’m not at work”

We got into position this morning at first light on opposite sides of the road and both were getting ready to make shots when a truck pulled up and sat watching us and watching the antelope. If you haven’t been to wyoming before it seems in this particular unit that they are very much used to being road hunted. Drive by slowly and they don’t seem to care, stop the truck or get out and they haul ass. Well this guy stopped and when he did he blew out the antelope.

We moved on to other spots we had scouted out and after a couple failed attempts at stalks we saw multiple small groups in huntable land.

Dad took his group and I took mine and miraculously we both dropped one. I took my shot standing with zero support at about 250ish yard and dad took his supported by a hay bail at 385.

Lessons learned:
1.antelope will be near water. Near can mean miles
2. They like to hang out in the same areas
3. Be ready to take a 400+ yard shot.
4. Be ready to get low to stalk antelope.there’s little cover.
5.if the antelope aren’t where you are keep moving. They can move a long way quickly but seem very content to lay on the side of a dirt hill View attachment 454225
Awesome!! I tried and only out of state Does!! Nice speed Goat!!!