1998 Lexus lx470 with 30,000 miles

landman650

Lil-Rokslider
Had this crazy deal pop up with this guy where he has a 1998 Lexus lx470 with 30,000 miles and no issues at all with it when it comes to paint, rust and mechanical. He is selling it for 14k. Always kept in garage and barely driven. Anyone know much about them to justify it being worth? Let me know thanks.
I’ve had about 16 land cruisers since 2004. Ih8mud.com is a landcruiser forum with a lot of info. I currently have a 76 fj40 and 1990 HZJ73 that I imported from japan. But I’ve also had 2 models like you’re looking at.

The biggest thing is to find out if it’s got factory lockers. If it does then that’s a smoking deal. If not, then it’s a fair deal. If you have any questions you can holler at me.

Poser

WKR
That’s a great deal. After buying, I’d inspect all of the hoses and gaskets etc. would also be worth having a pressure test and a fuel pump test. That vehicle has done a lot of sitting.

Unless there are maintenance records to show otherwise, I’d drain and replace every fluids on it: brake fluid, transmission, differential etc. even though it’s below the mileage threshold, time has surely taken its toll.

You might also consider belts (I assume that design has a timing chain), water pump, etc depending on the maintenance records for time in this case vs mileage.

OP
Bc45

Bc45

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the input glad I am able to get a lot of information off here. Was hesitate to ask on rokslide but I’m happy I did. I will be purchasing the vehicle in about a month or so. When I do I’ll post some photos!

I had an LX450 (96). Most reliable vehicle I’ve ever owned. Had every option available at the time. It even had built in factory front and rear radar detectors. 4 wheel drive was as good as it gets. I traded it for a truck. The dealer told me he had buyers who would buy it on the spot with a phone call. I love my truck, but really regret selling it, although the dealer game me more than book value for it. If I could find another one I’d buy it again. All the best. This vehicle is a beast on and off the road.

MattB

WKR
Had this crazy deal pop up with this guy where he has a 1998 Lexus lx470 with 30,000 miles and no issues at all with it when it comes to paint, rust and mechanical. He is selling it for 14k. Always kept in garage and barely driven. Anyone know much about them to justify it being worth? Let me know thanks.
Just make sure the low mileage isn’t due to a new, low lineage dash board being swapped in.

You might also consider belts (I assume that design has a timing chain), water pump, etc depending on the maintenance records for time in this case vs mileage.

The 4.7L has a timing belt. It’s the biggest downside to that Toyota motor vs. the newer 5.7L.

Recommended replacement every 90,000 miles.

I would plan on having it replaced on this vehicle if it hasn’t been done already due to the age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are based off the 80 series land cruisers. The GX470 and later 460 are completely different and aren’t Land Cruiser based. They’re more like 4Runners.
Not that it really matters, but a 1998 is a lx470, so it's a 100 series, not an 80 series sweet vehicle either way. The GX platform definitely isn't the same as a lc80/100/200, but isn't "just" a 4r either. It's a landcruiser prado rebadge, which is a higher end vehicle than a 4r/hilux surf overseas and at least the gx470 has the same engine as the LC100/LX470.

cjdewese

WKR
The 4.7L has a timing belt. It’s the biggest downside to that Toyota motor vs. the newer 5.7L.

I would plan on having it replaced on this vehicle if it hasn’t been done already due to the age.

This is good advice, I did this to my 2002 sequoia with the same engine. Its not bad if you have a little mechanical know how.

CorbLand

WKR

Plan on doing the water pump, pulleys and tensioners while you are at it.

The 4.7 is a beast of a motor. Take care of it and you will get another 200,000 miles out of that.

Last edited:

landman650

Lil-Rokslider
Not that it really matters, but a 1998 is a lx470, so it's a 100 series, not an 80 series sweet vehicle either way. The GX platform definitely isn't the same as a lc80/100/200, but isn't "just" a 4r either. It's a landcruiser prado rebadge, which is a higher end vehicle than a 4r/hilux surf overseas and at least the gx470 has the same engine as the LC100/LX470.
The 100 series is the only one I haven’t owned for a reason.

Re: gx470 The transmission is actually the same as land cruisers which is a bonus for the gx470. The prados are light duty land cruisers at best in my opinion. Land cruisers are supposed to be heavy duty imo.

I was clearly distracted that and glad you mentioned the model change so I can correct myself