18” barrel .243 win load recommendations

OP
Ozarkansas
Not sure how destructive you want to go but I was able to throw down my first Berger test this morning.

I definitely err more on the side of high weight retention over explosiveness, partly because I’ve experienced some very poor blood trails from 6mms when they don’t exit, and partly because I’ve shot a lot more animals at <10 yards than I have >150 yards, and I hate losing meat. In that regard I think losing some speed might be a good thing

SloppyJ

WKR
Berger 185gr Juggernauts are your huckleberry for that.
Appreciate that Form. I will check them out. I looked at those previously but nothing in the description stood out, they only highlight the bullets ability to maintain accuracy as it migrates below supersonic speed. Nothing about jacket thickness until I started reading forums.

Does the same hold true for the 230 OTM and others in the tactical line? I'll be loading for a 300PRC as soon as it's finished and will want something with similar performance.

The worst part about this whole deal is other than a few depredation hunts, you play the load dev game all year just to get a month of testing during rifle season.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Appreciate that Form. I will check them out. I looked at those previously but nothing in the description stood out, they only highlight the bullets ability to maintain accuracy as it migrates below supersonic speed. Nothing about jacket thickness until I started reading forums.

Does the same hold true for the 230 OTM and others in the tactical line? I'll be loading for a 300PRC as soon as it's finished and will want something with similar performance.

The worst part about this whole deal is other than a few depredation hunts, you play the load dev game all year just to get a month of testing during rifle season.

Most of the thicker jacketed OTM’s and Target bullets will have less fragmentation than the VLD’s.

OP
Ozarkansas
Update: I broke into my dad’s shop to get all my .243 reloading components from my high school days. I have a ton of 95 grain Nosler BTs and partitions left over, as well as 2 boxes of 85 grain TSX and about 500 85 grain Sierra gameking BTHPs. I’m going to keep my load development limited to those options. I’m also hoping to use staball 6.5 since it works so well in my 6.5x55 and I have plenty of it. Once I get my barrel back and start shooting groups I’ll post another update.

SloppyJ

WKR
Can't wait to see what kind of numbers you're able to get. What's your experience with the Staball line? I picked up some HD to try in my 300prc. Have you tested the temp stability at all?

SloppyJ

WKR
Any updates? I broke down and got a lefty tikka with a 1:8. Going to chop it to 18", thread it for my dilligent 6mm can, and if I can find someone I trust, chamber to 243ai.

Last edited:
OP
Ozarkansas
Any updates? I broke down and got a lefty tikka with a 1:8. Going to chop it to 18", thread it for my dilligent 6mm can, and if I can find someone I trust, chamber to 243ai.
I’ve got some loads ready to test but haven’t been able to shoot them yet- family life has been too busy and there’s too much to do around the house.

I did shoot some PPU 90 grain soft points through it using my brother’s harvester Evo (since I have neighbors nearby I don’t shoot on my property unless it’s suppressed, but I don’t have my own suppressor yet) and it was uncomfortably loud but hearing safe, in the high 130s peak decibel range. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get my magnetospeed to register with the suppressor so I don’t have velocity numbers

SloppyJ

WKR
I’ve got some loads ready to test but haven’t been able to shoot them yet- family life has been too busy and there’s too much to do around the house.

I did shoot some PPU 90 grain soft points through it using my brother’s harvester Evo (since I have neighbors nearby I don’t shoot on my property unless it’s suppressed, but I don’t have my own suppressor yet) and it was uncomfortably loud but hearing safe, in the high 130s peak decibel range. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get my magnetospeed to register with the suppressor so I don’t have velocity numbers
Bummer. I'm waiting on a dilligent defense wolfhunter which is a 6mm specific can so I'm hoping that will help tame it down. Nows the time to get one with the quick approvals if you didn't know.

turbo406

FNG
Currently have a 10 twist tikka at the smith getting the 18" treatment, it shot 75 vmax at 3350 ish and a half inch three shot group before ( yes i know thats not enough data and its not truly a half inch gun) so we will see how it affects the gun and velocity. Should be done in a week or so.

mullmann

Lil-Rokslider
Ruger m77 mkII with a 22” shilen sporter barrel 1-9.25 twist. Not sure how many rounds are down the barrel but lots.

243 Lapua brass, sierra 85gr gameking #1530’s

41gr IMR 4350 avg 3080, 215 primers
41gr H4350 avg 3130, cci 200

Magneto chrono used to get velocity.