18” barrel .243 win load recommendations

I’m getting my first deer rifle, a trusty savage 10 in .243, cut down to at least 18” and threaded for a suppressor. Does anyone have experience loading for short barreled .243s, and if so, what are some of your preferred powders and projectiles? I’ve had great luck with staball 6.5 in the 22” tube, and have been eyeing the 90 grain ELD-X to make up for the lower velocities, but I’m open to suggestions.

Edit: this will be used on deer and pigs, with shots ranging from very close to 400 yards. I have a 6.5x55 for anything bigger/further.

HGL

FNG
I had a 20" tikka .243 and used to run RL-17 with a 90 grain accubond at 2925 fps. I'd think you could easily approach the 2900 fps mark with teh 90 ELDx in an 18" tube. Definitely intersted in your findings with the 6.5 staball if you go that route. Got a new 19" 6 creed barrel otw, as a replacement.

OP
Ozarkansas
I’d be thrilled to get 2,900, currently my gun seems to shoot best with relatively mild loads, so I wouldn’t be surprised if my best accuracy was at 2700-2800. But if I can get up to 2900 maybe the eld-x is a little too soft of a bullet. Does anyone have experience with it on deer at close range?

shedhead

FNG
My boy has a Rugar American youth model. I believe it is 18”. We are shooting the 90 grn acubonds with 43grns of Imr4831. He has had really good luck with it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SloppyJ

WKR
Looked at your avatar and thought "Man that looks like home" sure enough.

Just following along. I've had amazing performance out of my first deer rifle that was given to me. A 22" Win. Model 100 in .243. I've only shot factory stuff out of it but just wanted to follow along and see what results you got. I think a .243 is hard to beat for our neck of the woods although I don't practice what I preach.

slatebuilder

Lil-Rokslider
42G RL19 100 grain interlock. There are 8 shots there and that’s a nickel, took 2 to get the scope dialed in after mounting. 100 yards13EBA7CB-362C-4B76-9C52-0D1A4CD1B12E.jpeg

OP
Ozarkansas
What twist rate?
1 in 9.25”, which from my understanding is not enough to stabilize much above 100 grains, but it’s been great in the 85-100 grain range. From what I’ve read the 90 grain eld-x should be fine,I’ve read conflicting info regarding the Sierra 90 grain game changer though. I’m also considering a tried and true 95 grain ballistic tip as well, with the idea that the long range bullets might not hold up well on close shots

Last edited:
Reactions: BBB

mkk

FNG
I cut a Ruger American down to 16”. It’s a 1/10 twist. It seemed to get a little more picky after that . Didn’t really like the Nosler BT or Hornady ELDX. I’ve settled with a couple different loads, Sierra 85gn hpbt and Sierra 75gn hpfb varmit bullet. Both are .5moa

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
From what I’ve read the 90 grain eld-x should be fine,I’ve read conflicting info regarding the Sierra 90 grain game changer though. I’m also considering a tried and true 95 grain ballistic tip as well, with the idea that the long range bullets might not hold up well on close shots

The 90gr ELD-X will be fine. The 90gr Game Changer is a deep penetrating “hard” bullet that generally creates narrow wounds. All the bullets you have listed kill just fine at close ranges, however the 95gr NBT is the bullet made for your use. I have done a substantial amount of killing with it, and sub 450-500 yards is about as ideal a projectile as made.

I haven’t chronographed the load yet but have a 16” barrel .243 my wife and daughter shoot 43.4 gr of h4350 with 90 gr eld-X shoots .65-.7 groups so far still messing with seating depth but so far so good.

however the 95gr NBT is the bullet made for your use. I have done a substantial amount of killing with it, and sub 450-500 yards is about as ideal a projectile as made.
Form, this is my plan when I obtain a 1:8 Tikka .243. Elk out to 400. However I target shoot past that distance and would like to stick with one bullet for both target shooting and hunting. Preferably something with a higher BC than the 95 BT. What am I giving up if I use a 103/108 eld inside of 400 yards?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form, this is my plan when I obtain a 1:8 Tikka .243. Elk out to 400. However I target shoot past that distance and would like to stick with one bullet for both target shooting and hunting. Preferably something with a higher BC than the 95 BT. What am I giving up if I use a 103/108 eld inside of 400 yards?

Nothing functional, those are good bullets.

If you are willing to go copper try the 70g hammer hunters and varget. My wife’s 20” Howa pushes them at 3560 fps. It’s a lazer.
Not sure how much velocity you would lose with an 18” barrel.

OP
Ozarkansas
If you are willing to go copper try the 70g hammer hunters and varget. My wife’s 20” Howa pushes them at 3560 fps. It’s a lazer.
Not sure how much velocity you would lose with an 18” barrel.
I’ve got a bunch of 85 grain TSX that I’m using now, and if I’m able to get up to 2900 FPS with them (my current load is a little over 3100 from a 22” tube and it’s about halfway between a starting and max load) I would feel comfortable using them in this setup at the kind of ranges I see here in the Ozarks. I also have a lot of 85 gr BTHP gamekings, idk if anyone has experience with those.

Ultimately though I’m leaning towards something with a better BC than either and a little more destructive than the TSX

SloppyJ

WKR
Not sure how destructive you want to go but I was able to throw down my first Berger test this morning. Not apples to apples but the hunting conditions are the same as is the range I would guess. This is a 168gr classic hunter with 45gr of varget out of my .308 around 2600fps. It was absolutely game over.

This was an extremely large doe. If your deer are anything like mine, few of them have this much fat on them. I was surprised to flip her over and only see an exit wound about 2 fingers wide. There was much more to the story after we skinned her as you can see. Ended up to be roughly a fist sized cavity internally. There were multiple tertiary wound channels as I would call them.

Surprisingly, the only thing I had to toss was the off-side front shoulder. Everything else including back straps were perfect. I'm on the fence about the performance. I both love and hate the extreme tissue damage for all obvious reasons. This is a sample size of one so I'm going to try a few more before I try to find a bullet just a touch tougher. But that's how I'm leaning right now.

Depending on your throat, you might look at the 95gr classic hunter, 95gr VLD, or the 105 VLD.

I'm not saying the results will be the same with the 6mm. I actually hope for you that they're a little less chaotic. I'd love to hear back if you choose these and your results. I beleive we are on the same quest but with different calibers currently. A Nosler ballistic tip might be another option as well. The Bergers definitely fit your criteria for more damage and higher BC though.

20231125_130106.jpg

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I both love and hate the extreme tissue damage for all obvious reasons. This is a sample size of one so I'm going to try a few more before I try to find a bullet just a touch tougher. But that's how I'm leaning right now.

Berger 185gr Juggernauts are your huckleberry for that.