16" suppressed elk gun

WRO

WKR
Lot to be learned from here… not many admit as much. Thanks for the post

I’ve been pretty lucky, the only cluster I was around last year involve 15 rounds, an elk with no antlers at the end. No caliber would’ve fixed that one.

We had a couple double lunged antelope cover 100 yards shot with a 243.

I ended up with 2 steps and 8 shots for 4 animals, 2 misses were due to scope failure and moose I i shot twice and one aiming error.

1 with the 6.5 (scope failed) next 3 were with the Norma. Also watched an elk killed with a 208s and 225 ELDMs. 1 goat with a 195 Berger.

It’s been probably 40 animals since we’ve had a track job or non recovery. 95% of the issues are failed client guns.

I lost the biggest buck I ever shot due to bullet failure with a 230 Berger not opening. I ended up crippling the next buck to death with it, bullets kept penciling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
How many elk have you killed with a 22 center fire or 6cm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How many have you or your clients killed with an optimized bullet out of .22 or 6mm?

Lot to be said about having an open mind when it comes to terminal ballistics…other things too.

I’m 100% confident with optimal bullets delivered at sufficient velocity to deliver devastating terminal wound channels at the distances desired.

grfox92

WKR
It is heavy for the 7mm-08, but it kills very well and has a fantastic wind bracket. I am not about going bigger than them going to a subpar bullet. The 180gr ELD-M is the overall best performing 7mm bullet on the market. If I wasn’t using that, I’d just go to a smaller cartridge/caliber.

Would a 162gr ELD M still perform well for deer and elk?

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

atmat

WKR
How about 24 round groups? One of these is a 300 Win and the other is a 6.5 Creedmoor. Both at 100 yards, 4 positions, 3 rounds from each, 2 cycles, 4 minutes per cycle. Does this mean I can shoot big guns at animals? View attachment 605525View attachment 605526

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Can you do it from field positions with a lightweight hunting rifle? And can you spot your shots in real time?

If so, absolutely — keep shooting your 30 caliber rifles. But 99% of hunters can’t.

Whitey375

FNG
Can you do it from field positions with a lightweight hunting rifle? And can you spot your shots in real time?

If so, absolutely — keep shooting your 30 caliber rifles. But 99% of hunters can’t.
That was a R700 Gen 2 5r, so it's not a pencil barrel. But they were off a barricade with a bag and a bipod.

atmat

WKR
That was a R700 Gen 2 5r, so it's not a pencil barrel. But they were off a barricade with a bag and a bipod.

So a relatively heavy rifle (I think they’re close to 9lbs bare, right?) and not from a less-supported field position.

That’s still awesome shooting regardless.

But what most of us are saying is shooting a light rifle in field positions, tracking shot, and getting back on target quickly is significantly easier with a 223 than a 300win mag.

It doesn’t mean it can’t be done with a 300wm. But most people don’t shoot 300wm well even from a stable position — not to mention tracking and getting back on target.

Whitey375

FNG
So a relatively heavy rifle (I think they’re close to 9lbs bare, right?) and not from a less-supported field position.

That’s still awesome shooting regardless.

But what most of us are saying is shooting a light rifle in field positions, tracking shot, and getting back on target quickly is significantly easier with a 223 than a 300win mag.

It doesn’t mean it can’t be done with a 300wm. But most people don’t shoot 300wm well even from a stable position — not to mention tracking and getting back on target.
The long and the short of it is that recommendations for shooting any big game animals with 250ft/lbs of energy is ridiculous and irresponsible. Can and has it been done, yep. Should it be recommended to the unwashed masses, nope. One of the largest brown bears in history was killed with a 22 Hornet, does that make it the optimum bear gun? Shooting sub optimal bore diameters is for experts, not weekend hunter guy.
Use enough gun, and if you suck at shooting that gun, shoot more.

The long and the short of it is that recommendations for shooting any big game animals with 250ft/lbs of energy is ridiculous and irresponsible. Can and has it been done, yep. Should it be recommended to the unwashed masses, nope. One of the largest brown bears in history was killed with a 22 Hornet, does that make it the optimum bear gun? Shooting sub optimal bore diameters is for experts, not weekend hunter guy.

Quick question. How many ft lbs kills them? 2000? 200? How many ft lbs kills them deadest? What wound channel does 1500 ft lbs make with an ELDX? How about a TTSX? They should look the same if the ft lbs are the same right?

Any real data backing the ft lbs fuddlore would be nice.

Whitey375

FNG
Quick question. How many ft lbs kills them? 2000? 200? How many ft lbs kills them deadest? What wound channel does 1500 ft lbs make with an ELDX? How about a TTSX? They should look the same if the ft lbs are the same right?

Any real data backing the ft lbs fuddlore would be nice.
Fuddlore. Good one.

Whitey375

FNG
Yeah I already listened to that. So you elk hunting with a 223 this year then?

RyanT26

WKR
I am really happy with 18” .308 suppressed rifle. I wouldn’t have any hesitations about using it at 16 either. I use 168 ELDM and AMAX’s and I’ve been very happy with the results. It’s only taking 2 cow elk and as some of stated earlier they are fragile, not tough and bulletproof like bull elk🙄 but the wounds have been substantial.
I’ve shot way more deer and antelope with it and find that combo to be too much.

atmat

WKR
This is simply not true, and it has been discussed ad nauseum on this website.