16” max length barrel. What caliber are you going with?

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
What does everyone like for a heavier caliber in a short barrel? Couple of qualifications:
  • I don’t reload, so must run factory ammo
  • Must be a proven load. No wildcats or crazy stuff
  • Effective on elk size game out to 600yds or so
  • Edit to add this will be a suppressed rifle, thus the preferred length of 16” or so
I don’t want this to turn into a pissing contest or anything like that. I have a short barrel 6.5 creedmoor that I’ve killed big game with... and while effective, I’d rather go 7mag or larger on this build.

**also edited to add**
I understand that there will be limitations due to me not reloading and the shorter barrel. This will be a hunting rifle. I need to breadbox deer sized targets at 600ish, not worried about repeatedly center punching beer bottle caps.

So, let’s hear it! 2021 season is depending on you!

Last edited:

LightFoot

WKR
Any magnum on a 16 inch barrel will be deafening, wildly inefficient, and be a burden to shoot.

Elk-capable out to 600 yards is going to be challenging with a 16 inch barrel. Since you want to stay with standard cartridges, 7mm-08 and 308 are your best options given the self-imposed barrel restrictions.

If you add a couple inches to your barrel, 300 WSM would be optimal out to 600 on elk.

Maybe a 338 Federal, but I don't think factory loads are going to put you where you want to be.

Good luck. I'm interested to hear what you decide.

>>>----JAKE----->

Before you finalize a decision to go that short, you better check with the manufacture of your preferred supressor. Some, if not most, have a minimum barrel length for Magnum cartridges. 2 of my suppressors can't be used in 16" barrels with 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag. 7mm-08, 6.5 Man Bun, or 308 would work better with a 16" tube, but 600 yd ballistics will still be fairly dismal compared to the same cartridges in 20-24 inch tubes.

Last edited:
OP
L

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
Bluetick, thank you. I hadn’t thought of that!!!

Well this might change a thing or two. I’ll be running a Silencerco Omega 300 on this rifle.

Attachments

• 1CC5C778-ECFB-4AE1-8C5F-635A26A5C768.jpeg
    1CC5C778-ECFB-4AE1-8C5F-635A26A5C768.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 334

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The 7 SAUM would be perfect for a short elk rifle! The shorter case is more efficient than the 7mm Rem Mag, so you would likely achieve higher velocities than the Rem Mag. As a bonus, you could run a short action and save even more weight! Not a ton of people are loading factory ammo for the SAUM, but there are options out there. 6.5 PRC and .270 Short Mag would also be good options that have better factory ammo options than the SAUM.

What does everyone like for a heavier caliber in a short barrel? Couple of qualifications:
  • I don’t reload, so must run factory ammo
  • Must be a proven load. No wildcats or crazy stuff
  • Effective on elk size game out to 600yds or so
  • Edit to add this will be a suppressed rifle, thus the preferred length of 16” or so
I don’t want this to turn into a pissing contest or anything like that. I have a short barrel 6.5 creedmoor that I’ve killed big game with... and while effective, I’d rather go 7mag or larger on this build.

**also edited to add**
I understand that there will be limitations due to me not reloading and the shorter barrel. This will be a hunting rifle. I need to breadbox deer sized targets at 600ish, not worried about repeatedly center punching beer bottle caps.

So, let’s hear it! 2021 season is depending on you!
I have a 16” 338 RCM, that shoots 225 Cutting Edge Raptors at 2600fps. Just took it out of the McMillen Hunter Edge and put it in the XLR Element 3.0. I also have some 3 shot mags coming for it.

Attachments

• 4194535F-97B2-44DA-8AD9-BCCB80F18573.jpeg
    4194535F-97B2-44DA-8AD9-BCCB80F18573.jpeg
    439.9 KB · Views: 272
Any magnum on a 16 inch barrel will be deafening, wildly inefficient, and be a burden to shoot.

Elk-capable out to 600 yards is going to be challenging with a 16 inch barrel. Since you want to stay with standard cartridges, 7mm-08 and 308 are your best options given the self-imposed barrel restrictions.

If you add a couple inches to your barrel, 300 WSM would be optimal out to 600 on elk.

Maybe a 338 Federal, but I don't think factory loads are going to put you where you want to be.

Good luck. I'm interested to hear what you decide.

>>>----JAKE----->
My 338 RCM in a 16” barrel isn’t that bad, even with the brake. I posted up to shoot my sheep this year and realized my ear plugs were not in my pocket, so I shot anyways and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I’ll do everything in my power to not shoot it without earplugs...well, everything beyond not take a shot on a ram, obviously. I’m going the suppressor route because I don’t want to have to even think about it and I don’t want to be put in another situation where I’m going to shoot without protection. I even put ear plugs in on non-braked rifles, so it’s not like it’s a purely muzzle brake issue.

Bluetick, thank you. I hadn’t thought of that!!!

Well this might change a thing or two. I’ll be running a Silencerco Omega 300 on this rifle.
Looks like a magnum will need at least 20” barrel-

since you are trying to save length you need to go with a Short Action! The Remington Model Seven action will save you an Inch over a LOng Action.

So you need to look at factory available Short Magnums- 7 Or 300 SAUM. 6.5 PRC, 270, 7, 300 WSM. Look at ammo availability at those to decide. I would say 300 wsm will give you the most options and most energy to 600 yds.

A big advantage of the 338 RCM is the larger bores maintains velocity better with a shorter barrel. You also have the option to shoot light for caliber bullets very fast! Problem is getting a suppressor for 338 is a bit more expensive and not a lot of loaded ammo options. (338 federal would be a great 16” suppressed round)

OP
L

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
These are some awesome ideas. Yeah, after looking at that last night I may need to consider the 18-20 route if I want to use that suppressor. I suppose I could get another suppressor... but it would go against this new philosophy of trying to actually limit and be practical with gear.

From the comments above, I have a couple of options. I like the idea of 7 SAUM but ammo would be tough. I think 300WSM would put me in a bind on the suppressor end, not sure if my suppressor will handle that. I think short action is the way to go because of the length and weight savings. 6.5 PRC, 270 and 7mm08 sound like winners. I don't know anything about 260 or 284, so i'll look at those today. Then there's ol' trusty 308.

Stefan - that rifle is SLICK.

You guys are great. Thank you so much. Keep the comments coming!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
The 7 SAUM would be perfect for a short elk rifle! The shorter case is more efficient than the 7mm Rem Mag, so you would likely achieve higher velocities than the Rem Mag.

There is no point where less powder equals more velocity. Regardless of barrel length, a like loaded 7RM will always produce higher MV than a 7 SUAM.

L&L,

You will be struggling with a 7mm-08 to get the velocities needed for good expansion at 600yds from a 16” barrel. With the right bullet a 6.5 CM will do it. 6.5 PRC is way easier to ge there though, and there isn’t another factory loaded option that is better for it.

I would call SilencerCo and talk to them about the capability of the Omega with the 300 and 270 WSM.

if you reloaded there would be more options- 300 SAUM and 300 RCM have less powder than the WSM case and would probably work without having too much blast into the can. You could even make a load with less powder...

The 284 based cartridges are hard to find ammo. For a short barrel I would take a 308 over the 7-08 for the bigger bore. With the same weight bullet the 308 will go 50-100 fps faster? Both will struggle though past 400yds....

The 6.5 PRC is also long factory ammo 2.95? so your choice of magazine is important.

tell us more about the build?

Last edited:
OP
L

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
@wildwilderness - There's not much to tell at this point. I am just looking to build a solid mountain gun that is relatively light, relatively hard hitting, relatively accurate, and relatively short. There are a TON of different options for stocks, barrels and actions so I'm not too worried about that piece.

Really my concern is caliber. I know that going for a shorter barrel - let's call it under 20" - is what I want. Just easier to move around in the woods, in a UTV, etc. Seems like everyone here is in agreement that i'm super limited because of the barrel length.

What might be a wiser move is to purchase a shorter suppressor and go with a slightly longer barrel. I know Thunderbeast has a 5" option that is solid.

Sounds a whole lot like I need to stick with something along the lines of 308 or 6.5 PRC for the shorter barrel route.

JoeDirt

WKR
I built a 17" 6.5 Creed Tikka. Killed a Whitetail and blacktail with it this year. 130/250 yard shots. Both bullets hit bone and only recovered the copper and some lead.

2450fps on a new barrel shooting factory 143 ELD-X

None. That’s too far for a sawed off barrel. I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk pistol with a barrel nearly that long. 600 yards is a challenge to lots of guy with standard barrel lengths.