143 ELD-X blew up on the shoulder?

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
If what you all say about energy not mattering to justify using a 243 at 600yds on elk, or at any range. Why dont people brown bear or cape buffalo hunt with it? If what you say is true, there should be tons of people doing it. Yet none of you practice that nonsense when your life is on the line.....telling.
Plenty of data and pictures on here with well documented kills of deer, bear, elk, and moose with .223 and 6mms for you to read.

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
Oh, one more thing. The Hornady team and Horizon firearms just got back from Africa testing 22 ARC and 22 Creed on animals out to 550 yards, including a kudu, and zebra I believe.

eric1115

WKR
If energy truly doesnt matter, and its nothing but bullet placement, then why dont dangerous game guides/hunters use the 6.5creedmor or 22LR?? By Forms and everyone elses "science" , it should be a non issue.
Tell me you don't understand the argument without saying you don't understand the argument.

If you listen to Seth from the Hornady podcast, he will tell you that the bullet functions from velocity, not energy. So the manufacturer knows how their product works when they are the one that designs and tests it. Also, it’s Hornady, not Hornaday.
Well if velocity is king, 300 win mag, 7 rem mag, 270 etc etc all have higher velocity than the 6.5 in their standard loadings. So again, they all beat the 6.5cm by your own metrics but yet yall are all against them??

And that also shouldnt exclude anyone from using it on brown bear then, if what you say is true. Yet nobody does....

Also im not wasting a single second of my life attempting to spell Hornaday correctly, they dont print their velocities accurately, so spelling shouldnt matter.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If energy truly doesnt matter, and its nothing but bullet placement, then why dont dangerous game guides/hunters use the 6.5creedmor or 22LR?? By Forms and everyone elses "science" , it should be a non issue.
Ignoring the 22LR stupidity.

Bell used a 7mm Mausers on plenty of African dangerous game beyond the hundreds of elephants he shot with it. He was a man with good nerves.

As to your why? Because it makes people feel better to have more, especially when their nerves are on edge.

If what you all say about energy not mattering to justify using a 243 at 600yds on elk, or at any range. Why dont people brown bear or cape buffalo hunt with it? If what you say is true, there should be tons of people doing it. Yet none of you practice that nonsense when your life is on the line.....telling.
You clearly have not spent much time on this site. Browns have been taken with the 223, I personally have gone looking for them with my 223 bolt action in hand. If being in the presence of a big and dangerous animal makes you feel your life is on the line, I recommend you stay out of the situation, fear makes people stupid. People who need fear to feel like they have accomplished something usually have no business in such situations.

Hnthrdr

WKR
You brought up an extreme example of people.using 300 win mags for blacktails, which i agree is ridiculous. But i have seen what i previously mentioned on this website for the last 3 years, and others. So dont back down now.

I simply made light that the so often lauded 300 winny did not drop an animal in its tracks. The guy was using a good bullet and sounds like he made a fatal shot, just a little joke.

I actually think a guy killed a grizz with a 6.5 last year. I’m not sure how many people are actually hunting cape buff all the time, I sure can’t afford to so I don’t think there is a giant sample size and probably pretty small overlap between roksliders and cape buff hunters. I would say there are lots examples of .243 being adequate for elk at 600 as long as you have enough velocity for appropriate bullet disruption. I personally limit myself to 500 and in but that’s a personal thing, and lots of my short barrel rifles drop below 1800 fps a little after 550, but I digress. Not sure what you want me to say here? We should all shoot magnums with .04 to .06 larger diameter bullets?

Tell me you don't understand the argument without saying you don't understand the argument.
Give a nonanswer by giving an nonanswer.

Should be easy, since its such a simple argument and i am so off base you dont even dare craft a rebuttal, since my feeble points are sooooo far below your intelligence.....yet you still wont answer objectively. You only insult and deride, the true behavior of someone who is correct lol

Lmfao even

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
Well if velocity is king
I did not say that velocity was king. I said that bullets operate by velocity. If energy matters, then why do all modern bullet manufacturers only give a threshold minimum velocity for hunting bullets? No minimum energy is stated, only minimum velocity.

Not trying to be a jerk, but I will be honest. You joined the ‘Slide this week and then come around trash talking our points. Okay? Not sure what we did to make you so upset. There is a 450 page thread with kill results from 223.

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
Well if velocity is king, 300 win mag, 7 rem mag, 270 etc etc all have higher velocity than the 6.5 in their standard loadings. So again, they all beat the 6.5cm by your own metrics but yet yall are all against them??

And that also shouldnt exclude anyone from using it on brown bear then, if what you say is true. Yet nobody does....
Oh, nobody does? You would be incredibly wrong. Here are tons of facts to back it up that you are wrong!

Thread '.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.'
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/223-for-bear-mountain-goat-deer-elk-and-moose.130488/

Thread '6mm /.243 hunting success on Big Game'
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/6mm-243-hunting-success-on-big-game.284525/

Thread '6.5 Creedmoor/260 for Deer, Elk, and whatever else.....'
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/6-5-creedmoor-260-for-deer-elk-and-whatever-else.244973/

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

Brown bear taken with a 223, ran no further than another brown taken at the same spot with a 338 WM.

eric1115

WKR
Give a nonanswer by giving an nonanswer.

Should be easy, since its such a simple argument and i am so off base you dont even dare craft a rebuttal, since my feeble points are sooooo far below your intelligence.....yet you still wont answer objectively. You only insult and deride, the true behavior of someone who is correct lol

Lmfao even

Sure thing.

Bullet placement is not all that matters. Bullet placement, plus bullet construction and impact velocity is what matters.

Some bullets create very destructive wound channels at a given velocity, others do not. A .22 cal 77TMK at 1800 FPS creates a wound channel sufficient to kill pretty much anything in north America. A 55 FMJ does not. A 40 grain .22LR also does not.

"Energy doesn't matter" means that a 108 ELDM at 1800 FPS produces a better wound channel than a .30 cal TSX at 1800 FPS despite having way way less energy.

Different bullets create different wound channels at different velocities, and the amount of energy a bullet has tells virtually nothing about what those wound channels look like.

Suggesting that the logical conclusion of this argument is that a .22LR is a good big game cartridge indicates that you have no understanding of what is being discussed. Your arguments are either bad faith, or grossly uninformed. Either way, you should stop what you're doing. Either disengage with the shit stirring, or stop arguing from a 3rd grader's level of understanding until you have a better grasp of what is being discussed.