12” Grendel bullet

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
So far the only bullets I’ve tried in Grendel 18” has been 123 SST, ELDM , 125 partitions. I’ve gotten good accuracy loads for all 3 using TAC and CFE223. I’m looking Forward to finishing the 12” and finding loads for it. I did pick up today 4 boxes of 123 SST one box of ELDM and even though I said I wouldn’t I got 2 boxes of 129 grain ABLR. Found them on sale by accident at about 1/2 off many places. So I grabbed them.

Taudisio

WKR
I would only assume with the slower velocities from your short barrel, a softer bullet should even everything out. I still think you will get more fragmentation and vital organ destruction with the Vmax. I would at least do some testing if I were in your shoes. BC’s be damned under 200 yards. The SST should be nearly as soft, but you will lose some more velocity with the extra weight. The eld-v is also worth a look. The ABLRs will be a better match for your 18” barrel

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for that. I ordered some 90 grain TNT and some 100 ELDM today too so I can play with them also. Heck half the fun is tinkering with hand loading bullets, powders n such. I’ve heard lots of good things about TNT’s and ABLR so I figured I would try heavy lighter and in between to see what happens.

Taudisio

WKR
Thanks for that. I ordered some 90 grain TNT and some 100 ELDM today too so I can play with them also. Heck half the fun is tinkering with hand loading bullets, powders n such. I’ve heard lots of good things about TNT’s and ABLR so I figured I would try heavy lighter and in between to see what happens.
The 100gr eldm is a solid choice. I enjoy my 210gr ABLRs but they are going 3030fps.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
Shot some test loads today of 129 grain ablr’s with tack powder. Had 1 load that was excellent accuracy in both the new 12” build and in the 18”. Not really fast but crazy accurate.

Taudisio

WKR
Shot some test loads today of 129 grain ablr’s with tack powder. Had 1 load that was excellent accuracy in both the new 12” build and in the 18”. Not really fast but crazy accurate.
I would just run some ballistic calculators and check realistic distances you want to be able to shoot, and make sure the velocity is above the expansion threshold (1350fps)

Attachments

• IMG_3542.png
    IMG_3542.png
    415.3 KB · Views: 6
OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve run the numbers on them. As you said. The advantage that the 129 ablr has is the lower velocity it opens up at. The 120 and 123 class bullets actually have better numbers but don’t open up below 1800 fps mostly. I have a load using TAC with 125 partitions that shoots well but it doesn’t carry as far out or open as low as the ablr does.