10mm recommendation for the fairer sex

Which 10mm handgun would you recommend for a medium-framed woman with medium size hands?
I want something for big critter protection that is easier to get back on target than my SW .44 magnum and lighter weight. Kinda intrigued with the Glock 20 Gen5, but the grip is rather cumbersome on the stock 20s.

Thoughts?

Edit to add: I am the medium frame woman, the gun is for me, yes I can handle a 10mm

Last edited:

NSI

WKR
Well, I’m the woman who will be carrying it, and I currently carry a SW 629-4 .44mag revolver, so yeah…I can shoot a 10 😊
Got it. You'll find the 10 much more palatable than the 44.

I find the 3 different grip plates on the m&p make it configurable to most hands. You might also look at the Sig, whose grip I found quite slim.

-J

My buddy has a Springfield Armory XD-M with a 4.5" barrel in 10mm. I shot it and I don't think it kicks much more than my every day carry gun which is a Springfield Armory XD-40 Subcompact with a 3" barrel in 40 S&W. His XD-M was very comfortable to shoot and the recoil was not bad at all.
XDME94510BHCOSP-300x226.png
31 OZ $653.00 MSRP 16 round magazines 17 rds on tap

Since you already shoot a 44 magnum I would not hesitate to suggest this either as a possibility.

Springfield Armory XD-M Elite Compact 3.8" barrel, 27 OZ, 11 round magazines.
XDME93810CBOSP-300x226.png
$653.00 MSRP. 12 rounds on tap.
Here's what my sub-compact XD looks like for comparison. 10 round magazines.

XD9802-300x226.png

Last edited:
OP
Greyinggrayling
My buddy has a Springfield Armory XD-M with a 4.5" barrel in 10mm. I shot it and I don't think it kicks much more than my every day carry gun which is a Springfield Armory XD-40 Subcompact with a 3" barrel in 40 S&W. His XD-M was very comfortable to shoot and the recoil was not bad at all.
XDME94510BHCOSP-300x226.png
31 OZ $653.00 MSRP
Interesting. Looks less chunky than the Glock

1) The individual should "try on" as many of the 10s out there to see which one(s) fit his/her hands. If it doesn't fit the hands well, move on and ignore the fan boys attempting to ram their beliefs down your throat.
2) There's not *that* much of a step up in felt recoil for me when shooting my XD-M Elite Compact in 10mm and 9mm using Federal HST or BB Outdoorsman's. Not a fan of recoil on the hands so I was pleasantly surprised with this 10mm; easier on the hands than my full-size PX4 in 45 ACP for reference. Haven't tried other 10s so I cannot talk about them.
3) When in doubt, downsize with quality ammo. Better to hit the target with what you can shoot than to miss with something you are afraid of.

Well, I’m the woman who will be carrying it, and I currently carry a SW 629-4 .44mag revolver, so yeah…I can shoot a 10 😊
lots of guys have difficulty shooting a 10 accurately. Just shooting a gun is easy. There are threads on this site about effects of recoil on accuracy. None of this is intended to be a dig on you, women, or anyone.

The bottom line is that in an emergency situation, like being charged by a bear, just being able to shoot the gun may not be enough. Being able to shoot any gun accurately is what is impotant, doing it with speed is another issue in an emergency situation. To ignore this is simply foolish.

The old trend of bigger is better is simply old school outdated.... when considering modern ammo. That is why many here have stepped down in caliber with there hunting rifles. There is no reason to not consider the same when it comes to handguns.

OP
Greyinggrayling
lots of guys have difficulty shooting a 10 accurately. Just shooting a gun is easy. There are threads on this site about effects of recoil on accuracy. None of this is intended to be a dig on you, women, or anyone.

The bottom line is that in an emergency situation, like being charged by a bear, just being able to shoot the gun may not be enough. Being able to shoot any gun accurately is what is impotant, doing it with speed is another issue in an emergency situation. To ignore this is simply foolish.

The old trend of bigger is better is simply old school outdated.... when considering modern ammo. That is why many here have stepped down in caliber with there hunting rifles. There is no reason to not consider the same when it comes to handguns.
Absolutely true.
How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

Interesting. Looks less chunky than the Glock
I like it and yes it is not chunky. His 10mm really fit my hands. A person just has to handle several to see what feels good in their hands to them. That's so critical. I didn't feel like the grip felt too large.
Glocks don't feel bad in my hands but the Springfield Armory XD-M in 10mm felt much nicer. Another thing to consider is reliability. Glocks have the reputation that if you pull the trigger, it will go bang! I have carried Springfield Armory XD-40's in a 4" and sub-compact 3" for years. The sub-compact was my back-up gun carried in an ankle holster. It saw a lot of dirt, snow, rain, and all kinds of abuses. It always went bang when I pulled the trigger, and it still does. Same for the 4" XD-40.

Last edited:
Do you know how this ammo would perform in a small polymer like a Glock 43?
Or if it is superior to Buffalo Bore? Both make me a little nervous in damaging the 43 or misfiring when needed the most.
I shoot it and Buffalo Bore hardcast in my G20, lots of people do. I've never had an issue. But I did go with a different spring.

Do you know how this ammo would perform in a small polymer like a Glock 43?
Or if it is superior to Buffalo Bore? Both make me a little nervous in damaging the 43 or misfiring when needed the most.
We shot some Buffalo Bore in my friends Springfield Armory XD-M along with 200 gr. HSM bear load ammunition as well as other full charge magnum factory rounds. It cycled them all and performed perfectly.

HSM Code​

Bullet Weight (Grs.)​

Bullet Description​

Velocity​

Energy​

UPC​

Rounds Per Box​

Cartridge Type​

10mm AutoHSM-10mm-9-N200Round Nose Flat Point-Hard104148181074202279250Handgun
bear_load_box-resized-1.png

Kurts86

WKR
If you can go try the grip on a Glock 20 SF, it will be less bulky than a G20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Every Gen 4 and Gen 5 G20’s are SF grip sized and they are still pretty big.

S&W, Sig, Springfield and FN 10’s all have a smaller grip radius than a G20 but with varying levels of holster availability and reliability.

You can reduce the effective grip size on a G20 with a overwatch precision DAT flat faced trigger. That’s what I did on my Gen 4 G20.

Last edited:

Olbadae

Lil-Rokslider
I highly recommend the s&w m&p 2.0 10mm. I had the Glock 20 and it just never really fit me well. I sold it and went to the 2.0 and have zero regrets. Grip texture, ergonomics and trigger are amazing. Also, for me at least, recoil seems much better/controllable.
Get to a range that has several to rent and shoot them back to back. You’ll be amazed at how differently guns of the same caliber can feel depending on how they fit you.

Trice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk