Glock 10mm G40....what it SHOULD be

I got on a wait list when the G40 Glock was announced. I HAD to have one. Not a Glock Fanboy, but I own....five...plus 2 more as duty weapons. I wanted the 10mm as an OFFENSIVE weapon. To hunt with. I received one of the first to roll out and try as I might....I could not find HAPPY with it. I loaded for it extensively. Factory Ammo...more powder...less powder...swap primers. It was simply OK at best.

I did manage to take a nice whitetail with it. On purpose. 26 yards if I recall. And it wasn't ammo I would choose on purpose. SigSauer FMJ. But it was a legit One Shot stop. Jogged about 35 yards and tipped over dead. I got rid of the gun shortly thereafter. Because I bought a Kimber Target II Stainless in 10mm. That gun....is a RockStar. Simply got a great one. Shot a better buck with it a few years later. Same distance about. From a tree stand. Open sights, but my load of AA#9 and a Hornday 180 XTP. Watched the steam exit under the backstrap from the angle of impact. Dropped to the shot and wheeled in a circle a few seconds. No follow up needed.

The XDm in 10mm dropped. I had ZERO interest initially. Kinda got talked into it. After I had my hands on it and checked out the fantastic sights from the factory (5.25") I bought one. I added a trigger and some springs and tweaked it a bit. I was able to achieve great accuracy with it also. Has become my woods walker handgun.

But as my eyes age...it's harder to make the sights as crisp and control my light bars and make the open sighted shots I once could. Enter the RMR/MRDs or whatever you want to call them. I am a converted Fan.

I wanted to revisit the G40 as it's MOS ready. A coworker had one with a Burris ShitFire on it. Loaned it to me. I messed with it, and like my original...it was HoHum for accuracy at best. Maybe 3" at best off a rest at 25 yards. 4" was more common. And like a dumbass...I BOUGHT IT FROM HIM. I tweaked all kinds of loads, primers, powders etc. I just couldn't find HAPPY. So I went down the rabbit hole of after market barrels. All my research did not show anything positive to KKM or Lone Wolf. Results were mixed at best. Sometimes a loss of accuracy. I am a bit older and recall all the gun rags would chime in with custom pistols with Bar Sto barrels. I haven't really heard of them in decades. But they're still around. A KKM or Lone Wolf seem to be $165 across the board. The Bar Sto's are significantly more expensive. Right around $300. But my cheap ass bought one.

I am beyond impressed. THIS is what the G40 should be from the factory. This handgun is a legitimate 75 yard offensive hunting handgun now. If anyone is looking for an accuracy upgrade. I suggest saving up for the Bar Sto.

BjornF16

WKR
The Bar Sto's are significantly more expensive. Right around $300. But my cheap ass bought one.

I am beyond impressed. THIS is what the G40 should be from the factory. This handgun is a legitimate 75 yard offensive hunting handgun now. If anyone is looking for an accuracy upgrade. I suggest saving up for the Bar Sto.
Did you get the "Semi" or "Match" barrel?

Their website says minor fitting for the "Semi" and machining for the "Match".

Was it drop in for you?

OP
J
I’m at 250 rounds. I bought the Semi. It fits extremely tight. Hence the accuracy. I was of the opinion there would be no way it would function that tight but it does.

I have had a few bobbles. I have a bit of work to do with Crimp. I crimp in a final stage by itself. I find very dramatic changes with amount of crimp applied to my reloads. However….I’ve marked rounds and buried them 6 or more deep in the mag and have found bullet jump/set back due to recoil.

I’m right there at max charge w AA#9. Recoil is snappy…as it should be. Much factory ammo is a dog at 1050-1100fps

I have no experience with the Sig

Last edited:
OP
J
I was very surprised the HoloSun “tracked” as accurately as I experienced. Once I had the windage I simply brought the impact down. This was at 26ish yards over a bag on the ATV

F4228EE6-DDF2-4267-9758-B4ABE7F3EEB9.jpeg

OP
J
Brass looks fine….when I can find it. I’m amazed at the distance this ejects empties. Next county. I’m going to experiment with a few weight springs for $30. Just to see

Wrench

WKR
Pay attention to the slide speed when you come up on the mainspring. There's a point where you have to come up on the mag spring because the slide velocity is so high on the return.

My g20/kkm is super accurate off bags.....but my hands on that gun make elephants safe at 80 yards.....now my 1911s, I would shoot deer at 80.

IdahoBeav

WKR
Looks like they released Gen 5 in 10mm and 45 auto, both in MOS, though. I wonder if/when they will do the G40 and regular G20.

jamman

FNG
Thanks for the info. I'm very curious about the G20 with 5.25 as a good all around weapon but main job to have something to carry with confidence as sidearm in brown bear country. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm working on a half-dozen guns at the moment, and only one in the cabinet is finished lol.

Next step for me is getting g a red dot on the g40.

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting. I had the opposite experience. I too fell in love with the G40 when it was announced and put in an order at my local blue label Glock dealer back in 2014. I put a Trijicon RMR on the ol' girl as soon as I could. Back then, 10mm was still kind of a boutique round and it was kind of hard to find. Luckily I was able to scrounge up some Double Tap, Underwood, some SIG Elite performance, and a 200 grain HSM load. The rest were all 180 grain. My pistol shot okay with the HSM, ok with the Double Tap, pretty good with the Underwood and down right outstanding with the SIG Ammo. I was able to produce 4-6" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I have taken squirrels, possums, coyotes, and 1 bedded doe from about 45-50 yards or so (using the Underwood ammo).
I also bought a Kimber 1911 Longslide 10mm against my better judgement. It was cool looking and even though I knew about Kimber's mixed bag of 1911 reliability I bought the gun. Couldn't get the silly thing to reliably feed a full magazine or group on paper. I also brought my Series 70 Colt Nat'l Match with me to shoot, and lo and behold it was not me that was the problem. Tried working with the Kimber for a while to no avail. Sold the Kimber immediately. Still have my G40 MOS.
Its interesting to me how guns can really vary from example to example. A single bad apple can really put a bad taste in the mouth and ruin a brands reputation quickly. Glad you got the Bar-Sto barrel to work for you. KKM and Lone Wolf make 7" and 9" barrels for the G40 that intrigue me....haven't made the plunge tho.

Here is a pic of that first range day back in 2014. I was aiming at the neck bc I wasn't sure how much the rounds would drop at 100 yards. Not much. 24 year old me was ecstatic.

Attachments

• IMG_1837.JPG
    IMG_1837.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 21

SloppyJ

WKR
I was very unimpressed with my G20 and shortly got rid of it. Glocks have never really scratched the itch for me. Considering just licking my wounds and ordering a threaded Staccato P.

Reactions: WKB
OP
J
I also bought a Kimber 1911 Longslide 10mm against my better judgement. It was cool looking and even though I knew about Kimber's mixed bag of 1911 reliability I bought the gun. Couldn't get the silly thing to reliably feed a full magazine or group on paper. I also brought my Series 70 Colt Nat'l Match with me to shoot, and lo and behold it was not me that was the problem. Tried working with the Kimber for a while to no avail. Sold the Kimber immediately. Still have my G40 MOS..
I looked for quite a while for one of those LS Kimbers. I woulda snatched one in a heartbeat.

Exactly.....so many randoms from one gun to the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: WKB