1/2 ton 6cyl diesel and midsize diesel experiences

Weldor

WKR
Same, I bought a 2023 new and have 18k on it and have averaged 21.7 during that time. You can get 28mpg if you’re on a semi flat road under 75mph. When you deal with any stop and go traffic, drive over 75 or are on a hilly road not a chance.

Add in the cost of diesel, DEF, increased maintenance cost, pulling into a gas station and 2 cars are at the diesel pumps, etc.. you’re better off with the gas in my opinion.
I don't get 28mpg's, but I do get 20-21mpg in my 2018 Ram megacab. See no point getting a smaller truck that won't haul. Looks like a wash to me. Neighbor has a super nice Chevy 3.0 beautiful truck, looks like a Tundra. He's at 22-23 freeway in the heat.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I don't get 28mpg's, but I do get 20-21mpg in my 2018 Ram megacab. See no point getting a smaller truck that won't haul. Looks like a wash to me. Neighbor has a super nice Chevy 3.0 beautiful truck, looks like a Tundra. He's at 22-23 freeway in the heat.
I propose a tug of war pull off

KenLee

WKR
I wouldn’t buy a gas GM motor if I had to. I replaced an oil sucking 5.3 a few years ago and they still have lifter failures right off the lot sometimes.

3.0 belt change interval is now 200k not 150k
I've put over 300k miles each on three GM 5.3 motors without going into them

I had a Ram 1500 ecodisel that was good until it wasn’t- emissions issues and sensors going out etc.

I really liked the fuel mileage and in Alaska diesel is often Cheaper than gasoline!

I picked up a Ram 1500 5.7L but already am thinking about getting 3.0 duramax- my brother has one and likes it

Doooooooo it.. my only regret was not getting the gmc at4... truck looks so sexy lol.. I got a Silverado RST and love it though. I did have the main seal oil.leak but it got fixed and not leaked at all

Kasey

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Doooooooo it.. my only regret was not getting the gmc at4... truck looks so sexy lol.. I got a Silverado RST and love it though. I did have the main seal oil.leak but it got fixed and not leaked at all

Kasey
The diesel we drove yesterday had a main seal leak, but somehow still had "no leaks or fluid present" on the mega inspection sheet.

I'm back on the little Canyon Denali long bed this morning. I liked the thing a bit.

I dislike all the trim level names; no clue what's different between Z71, at4 LT, RST, Denali, Elevation, High Country, etc. @KickinNDishin 's biggest complaint yesterday was the 2.7L we drove the passenger seat was "too low" on the Custom or Pro trim level.

I've had several friends with the canyon with great milage but always at the dealer.. if you get a canyon delete the thing asap.. but AT4 is a gmc... fancy stuff lol

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I've had several friends with the canyon with great milage but always at the dealer.. if you get a canyon delete the thing asap.. but AT4 is a gmc... fancy stuff lol
The one we drove was gas 6cyl, I can't turn up a 6' diesel. That would be attractive. BUT the 1500 gets better mileage, so back to this.

This
Plus this

And I can road hunt on the two lanes for several more years I think.

Or this thing if I knew someone in Hillsboro OR

Last edited:
Had a 3.0 1500 GMC, was the perfect combination. Crew cab with the 6.5 bed, great mileage and plenty of power. I just ran out of truck and needed something with way more payload and towing. I now have a 6.6 Duramax 3500.

I
The one we drove was gas 6cyl, I can't turn up a 6' diesel. That would be attractive. BUT the 1500 gets better mileage, so back to this.

This
Plus this

And I can road hunt on the two lanes for several more years I think.

Or this thing if I knew someone in Hillsboro OR
Live about 2 hours from the hillsburiito lol

the difference between a 2500 and 3500? That's literally it. I custom ordered, it was a no brainer.

This thread is making me want to sell my 2500 GMC I got 7 months ago and get the 1500 with that 3L. I really considered one but I never saw one with the 6' bed and a short bed doesn't work for me.