Zenbivy Bed?

light bed 10 degree for me. pretty sure the differences are in the face materials and the fill (synthetic vs down)

geriggs

WKR
I just bought the light bed 10 deg to go with the same quilt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new ZenBivy Ultralight Quilt has some improved specs that are approaching specs of the leading quilts. Here's a comparison to the EE Enigma and Katabatic Palisade, Alsek, and Sawatch with similar temp ratings (quilt only; definitely note that Katabatic lists comfort ratings, ZenBivy and EE list limit ratings). All of these are 54" width at the shoulder and 40" at the foot box:

1712429057417.png

Attachments

• 1712428644497.png
    1712428644497.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
The zen bivy is an excellent product. I currently have and use a Big Agnes Sidewinder sleeping bag that I like a lot. It's an excellent design that suffers from poor loft compared to better brands and a few other quirks. I sleep well in it and recommend it to side sleepers. Not saying it's a better option than the zen bivy, but it's another option to consider. Choices are a good thing to have.

dlee56

WKR
Has anyone had issues with the light or ultralight sheets coming off the mattress? Seems like an easy way to cut weight but I like the idea of having the mattress fully enclosed like with the core sheet.

i have the 2023 style light sheet, which fully encompasses the pad. for a variety of reasons, including never having skin on pad contact, and providing full enclosure to preclude slippage, i think those older sheets are a better design. That being said, my kids have a nemo bag that just slides down about half-way over the pad, and it stays attached just fine.

b2one

WKR
I use the newer light sheet on both a Nemo Tensor pad and an Exped pad. I have never noticed any movement of the sheet on the pad, and I am a side sleeper that switches sides multiple times a night. I sleep in the Zen Bivy set up (10 deg. light quilt) every bit as good as I sleep at home.

josiahv

FNG
Is the ultralight worth it over the core?
I have the light 10 which is a nice middle ground between the core and the UL in terms of weight/bulk/cost.

If I was purchasing again, I would probably save up for an ultralight 10, but only because I am so happy with the system and feel like the investment would be worth it in the long run due to the comfort/warmth of the system for me and my inability to sleep comfortably in more traditional systems.

For people that get cold easily like me (my legs/feet get a little chilly in a 10 degree marmot bag when it’s 26 degrees outside) would it be safe to assume I’d freeze in this system?

b2one

WKR
I have a 5 degree down Marmot bag - but I think the 10 degree Zen bivy bed "feels" warmer... I know that is purely subjective, but its hard to describe. FYI if your Marmot bag is a synthetic, I would question whether it is still a 10 degree bag as synthetics lose initial loft. As mentioned before, if you havent tried boiling water, pouring it into a nalgene bottle, and putting that in the bottom of your bag, you are missing out on about 4 hours of heavenly warmth by your feet. Another trick is buying a pair of 3 oz. down booties for your feet to sleep in. People are all different, but there are lots of ways to extend the comfort range of a sleep system.

I have a 5 degree down Marmot bag - but I think the 10 degree Zen bivy bed "feels" warmer... I know that is purely subjective, but its hard to describe. FYI if your Marmot bag is a synthetic, I would question whether it is still a 10 degree bag as synthetics lose initial loft. As mentioned before, if you havent tried boiling water, pouring it into a nalgene bottle, and putting that in the bottom of your bag, you are missing out on about 4 hours of heavenly warmth by your feet. Another trick is buying a pair of 3 oz. down booties for your feet to sleep in. People are all different, but there are lots of ways to extend the comfort range of a sleep system.

I bought the bag new last year, some crazy $600 bag for like $150. It’s a 800 fill goose down bag

I have been trying to find a pad I like. Have a static V sleeping pad with an r value of 1.9 per reviews (listed higher). Tried a 3” thick air pad with R value of 5 and I don’t sleep good on thick air pads because I’m fairly light weight

I’ll give the hot water a try!

josiahv

FNG
For people that get cold easily like me (my legs/feet get a little chilly in a 10 degree marmot bag when it’s 26 degrees outside) would it be safe to assume I’d freeze in this system?

One big thing for me in addition to the others already mentioned was to ensure my socks/long johns were not too tight. I feel warmer with no socks than with tight socks.

Also a Xtherm or similar pad makes a huge difference in the cold.

I bought the bag new last year, some crazy $600 bag for like $150. It’s a 800 fill goose down bag

I have been trying to find a pad I like. Have a static V sleeping pad with an r value of 1.9 per reviews (listed higher). Tried a 3” thick air pad with R value of 5 and I don’t sleep good on thick air pads because I’m fairly light weight

I’ll give the hot water a try!

you were right at the comfort limit foryour bag, with a pad that is inadequate to achieve the rating of any bag (R5.38). That's why you were cold.

you were right at the comfort limit foryour bag, with a pad that is inadequate to achieve the rating of any bag (R5.38). That's why you were cold.

Good to know! Thanks, I wasn’t aware that the bag was rated based on a certain r value pad

Maybe I don’t get cold like I thought!

geriggs

WKR
Lite 10 here and I love it. No issues on tensor LW. Best sleep system I have found for my big ass